Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

What should we do at this point? 5 months of fighting

(8 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 10:56:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

SO briefly you know my story but just to recap: our apartment has bbs, we got them in our car and into my parents' house. We have managed to keep the infestation at bay by constantly treating, and vacuuming...etc. We have maybe 1 bite a day tops in our apartment and less than that in my parents' home. Our car has now been cleaned, steamed and vacuumed. But we still seem to have a few hanging around. My parents have had 2 treatments. We have had 6, one more this week. My parents are going to steam all of their carpets and furniture.

I spoke with a vikane gas guy who said that he could do my parents home but for $8000- $10,000. He could do our place for about $1500 and the car for $500. At what point do we say, our retirement and kids' college funds are more important than all of this. We have already spent at least $5000 between caulking, cleaning, treatment, laundry, plastic bags.

We are so sick of living this way. That I am tempted to vikane as it seems like an easy all kill solution, but who has that kind of cash? Also do you think that we can take tax deductions for treatments as repairs/improvements to our home?

Thanks for the advice

2. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:18:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy - Lord knows that I've spent close to the national debt of a third world country fighting these things and I am close to winning but have not won yet

if you vikane your stuff and put them back into the apartment - you will risk reinfesting yourself - I know I had to do that just to have clean clothes

i spent almost 1000 on drycleaning and they still came back alive (maybe drycleaner was infested?) but I had to vikane all of my clothes and shoes just to have clean suits to wear to work. After doing that they still got infested no matter how careful I was with enclosing them in plastic

the real relief was for me to pack up all of my stuff and vikane everything all at once (some stuff for a second time) and move to ap different apartment

I am STILL dealing with them there - but now it is almost over - I must have brought some with me

the point is that unless you are free of them in your apartment - and it is only your belongings that are infested - then vikane is a good option

vikane is also good for structural fumigation like what Paula had done

my best to you - I've spent close to 15k so far and it is not over yet

Adele

3. Itchybutdealing

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:29:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Adele,

That sounds awful. I think for dry cleaning, you have to make sure that they use the stuff that is bad for the environment to kill them (Perc?), Green cleaning willnot kill them. Yes as moving is not an option for us, I guess I will eait until the dog inspects our whole building (which they will do) and then see if the whole building being treated makes a difference. $15,000 is not really an option right now.

4. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 15:33:42
    #

Login to Send PM

my best to you Icthy - hopefully you can get this under control

my life is getting better day by day - I still feel the lingering affects - you know I still have trouble sleeping and still have flashbacks

but day by day I will heal and my life will go on

keep me posted

Adele

5. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 15:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy. I think if I remember correctly, you are in a single family home now? Stucture fumigation is your best bet, imo...just make sure you guys don't have infestations at your work place before doing so. We had our home vikaned last fall, along with both our vehicles at the same cost. Just an idea, but if your parents are getting their home vikaned, if there is room, maybe have one of your vehicles fumigated with that structure to save on cost? We had our mini van in the garage, our car right outside the garage (outside the structure, but under the tent. All seemed to work well. Maybe that can save on cost? Just a thought. Our home cost a bit under $8000 to do, for a 2000 sq ft home. I had gotten 3 estimates and they are were within the same ball park. It takes a long time time and a lot of self effort to get over the discomforts and pure fear that the bugs are gone, but it does get much better. I still have anxiety over a lot of everyday things, but all is getting better. Once our finances are straightened out, I'm sure I'll feel even more comfortable. The fear of not being able to afford to go through another infestation is a lot of what gets my anxiety levels high sometimes. But it's important to live and enjoy life after an infestation. I wish you the best.

6. fightorflight

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 0:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Paula:
    > The fear of not being able to afford to go through another infestation is a lot of what gets my anxiety levels high sometimes.

Amen to that!

> But it's important to live and enjoy life after an infestation.

And that, too! for those of us lucky enough to be post-terrorized. (Now if I could just figure out how to ride that darn night bus without sitting down...)

7. Itchybutdealing

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 11:22:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paula for the advice but part of the problem is that we live in an apartment. My parents have a single family home, but it isn't worth vikane gassing their place if we cannot ensure that we are rid of them in ours. I would say that we won't visit them but they would rather brave the bed bugs than not see their grandkids!

I am so happy you are post bbs!

8. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 11:48:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have no experience with Vikane other than what I have read in the past year or so.
    My feeling are that it cost much money and comes with no guaranty. The logical thing could be after Vikane than treat with pesticide with residuals Or you could go on battling with steam, Bedlam, DE etc..., I did. Lots of work but after a while you become very efficient and in time the procedure does not seem so consuming. If your situation is that you see tone of these things constantly crawling around and you cannot get rid of them than Vikane may be good to do as long as you are not attached to another home. It sound like you are getting a handle on your problem so I do not like to see you spend that kind of money. Apartment are a different situation for me and I do not have the experience in that kind of fight. This does make your war a little more complex for obvious reasons.
    My war took 18 months before I started to feel like my problem may be solved but I remain still concerned due to marks on my back that have appeared again which may be just do to reoccurring bite reactions to old bites or chemicals and stress, but that is the problem many are experiencing and we do not have a definite answer other than to continue your battle until you gut tells you that you have won and then continue inspecting and cleaning but to a lesser degree and do this forever. These creatures are now a fact of life and until researchers can come up with a plan we must continue our process and be vigilant.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,434 posts in 48,821 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW