Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What products could reasonably be developed that would really make a difference

(6 posts)
  1. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 29 2008 11:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw the other thread debating whether or not PCO should get public money in this fight and I was thinking that a way the gov't could make a difference is to give tax credits to R&D in this area, or tax free profits for products in this area for 10 years or so.

What product do you see making a real difference in the BB fight?

My ideas-- 1) A really good, really precise mechanical sniffer. If you could always locate where a bed bug is to within a few feet, even the PCO's we have available now would be able to kill them!!

2) The second generation of the Phantom pesticide-- so not only would it have a long lasting residual but be a more powerful killer, not taking 10 days.

3) Could infrared cameras at night help at all?

Give me your ideas, we have the best ones, we're on the ground.

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 29 2008 12:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

It will be decades before a mechanical sniffer will start to match the sensitivity of a dog nose.

I believe the government made a huge mistake when they chose mechanical sniffers to protect our airports. Dogs are much more reliable & sensitive than the Volkswagon sized devices that are currently in use.

I know a bomb dog handler that accidently wore boots that had been scented with plastic explosives that passed through the VOC detector at the airport without tripping the device...the dogs continued to alert to the shoes that the machine had cleared for months later.

The DOD is working hard on portable sniffing devices for a lot of important applications, but they have a long way to go before they can even start to compete with a dogs nose. A dogs nose is more sensitive than the best MS GC devices available on the market.

The issues for bringing new pesticides to market involve time, money & the size of the market. I'm told that it would take about 100 million dollars & 7-10 years to bring a new product to the marketplace. The market is still too small to be attract that kind of investment from the industry.

The best bet would likely be to put the public money out as grants to the academic community to stimulate further research & developmment activity.

3. terry glasson

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 29 2008 18:32:07
    #

Login to Send PM

As usual, I agree with Oug except on size of market as I believe this is a world wide problem and, like a hanging axe, if a mutant virus, as in the bird flu example, makes passage through BBs viable then, like the plague, we are really in it.

I feel the lack of verified information is the greatest problem. If you look at this site, the same questions keep popping up time and again and it's obvious people are making the same mistreatments time and again and this as much as anything else is helping the spread of this modern bug.

In Australia health dept's are arrogant, ignorant and, probably like public servants elsewhere, sit on their hands and pass out any "authorised" information as long as they aren't responsible.

Perhaps if we post a few bugs to some of the pollies they may start noticing how little the departments do. (I am joking)

4. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 29 2008 18:49:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Education is important, however it will only get you so far. I have read and read and read since this started in July. Almost five months later, I'm still struggling.

I actually agree with bareliving's post. If funding could be found to research solutions, I would happily pay more taxes. Stronger residuals would be a Godsend. Also, I would give anything to not have such an involved protocol for battling BBs. All that bagging and laundry is expensive, time consuming and frustating. I would be very happy if someone developed better protocols.

5. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2008 9:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I would definitely be willing to pay more taxes too. Honestly, its not the idea of bedbugs that bothers me - I don't react to bites anymore, and bugs are kind of gross but whatever...the reason I'm so phobic about BB is that they threw my life into turmoil for months and that it is such a long, hard, expensive and time consuming process to get rid of them (and its not even guaranteed to work). If there were something that came out that would circumvent all the bagging and laundering I would feel a lot better about the possibility of getting them again. I think that psychologically it would really help if you could get BB and not have to throw everything you owned into the dryer and then keep it in bags for months, and the psychological aspect is the worst for most people.

6. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2008 11:24:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The first and simplest thing that will make a difference is a way to pass the message on quickly and simply to people.

After that you need a way of making sure that people check locations to ensure that they do not get exposed or more importantly that they do not spread the problem further.

As we are dealing with a biological entity there is always a risk that they will adapt and evolve to counter almost all other technologies. It is therefore quite essential to support further research into the insects themselves so that we have a greater understanding of how they function. I am privy to some academic conversations and unpublished data from time to time and although frustrating because I am not allowed to share it I can confirm that bed bugs display some rather unique characteristics for insects let alone all other forms of life. I think a lot of answers are yet to be discovered for example all the mechanisms surrounding traumatic insemination are not understood and yet they offer loads of potential targets for extremely specific control as well as being a fascinating way of ensuring the future of a particular evolutionary line.

After that I would have to focus efforts on better detection. I have been working on something in that area myself and will be doing a lot of work on it next week but the goal has to be an active sensory that continual monitors environments but that is a sentence that is a lot easier to type than technology allows in reality. I might have to head up to the science park in Cambridge UK and see if I can track down the latest efforts of the groups that were looking at bio sensors and nano technology. I am looking forward to the Samsonite 2012 range there the material of the case has a bio luminescent reaction to presence of bed bugs and glows red although it has to be said that the Oysters really have the market capped on anti bed bug design. In fact lets go all the way and get zip lock bags with bio luminescent seals to change colour if bed bugs are about.

Better systemic control of the symptoms would also help greatly. In the UK we do not have OTC products such as wound healing anti bacterial creams so something to sooth the itch is greatly needed. In a world where we have an isotonic liquid drink to treat dry mouth syndrome (I kid you not I worked on it years ago) we still cant stop the itch (I know prep H can work on tattoo's (not from personal experience) does it give any relief elsewhere?). I don't often suffer bites but when I do its rather annoying to put it mildly, its an aspect of the job you do not get used to.

Aside from all that a easy method to report, verify and confirm cleared cases so we can see what is going on at the global, national, district, city and neighbourhood level. If this is going to be an issue for society we need to quickly find ways to communicate it so that it is encouraged to be dealt with rather than kept a secret.

I think that my letter to Father Christmas this year might have to include an HPLC analyser, GC MS, Flame Spectrophotometer and 2 GHz NMR. I am not sure it would all fit down the chimney (it has been a little neglected since they banned 8 year old's as chimney sweeps the teenagers just cant fit in as well). One can but hope as the season of goodwill and travel starts. I would like to say that it is not usually a busy time of year but last year was a lot of calls from people getting bed bugs as an unwanted present.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714