Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

What on earth could it be?

(5 posts)
  1. kjvp

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 10:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting bites every 12 days or so since late September. I always wake up with them in the mornings (no signs at other times of day, even when we spend whole days at home), and a chronic skin condition means I have very very intense reactions. We've had a highly respected PCO out to inspect twice, and he seemed as frustrated as we were that he couldn't find any fecal stains, skins, eggs, etc. After his first visit, we cleaned everything and put encasements on our mattress and pillows. The second visit, because he knew our landlord was not being helpful, the PCO treated our bed frame and the baseboards nearby for free. He used a product with a strong cedar smell; I don't know what it's called. That was nine days ago, and it's been 13 days since my last bites.

Of course, as soon as we started to feel like this was over, it happened again. I woke up this morning with two bites on my foot, one on my left forearm and more than a dozen red, itchy, raised bumps/welts on my right elbow, right below where my sweater was bunched up while I slept. I've never had them so close together before, and my elbow really does look awful. But we just took the bed apart again and saw *nothing*. I'm at the point where I think it's probably not bed bugs, but I have no idea how to figure out what it is instead.

The only pattern we've noticed is that these bites are more or less aligning with the nights where it's been warmer, and we're in an area where mosquitos do live. We're no longer sleeping with the windows open on warmer nights because of the bites, but we do have a window air conditioner unit in the window facing the backyard. So I could see it being mosquitos, even though the large and close smattering of marks I have on my elbow this morning is throwing that suspicion a bit. The bites have only ever been on exposed skin, pretty closely following the patterns of when I'm wearing shorter/longer sleeves and pants (i.e. if I'm wearing short sleeves bites will appear on my bicep; if I'm wearing long sleeves they show up on my wrists and hands).

Has anyone found a reliable way of ruling out or identifying mosquitos as a cause of bites? We've seen them in the house occasionally, but I don't know how to figure out if they're behind all our current stress. Both my fiancee and I were exposed through work, which is why we first suspected bed bugs. And if it's not mosquitos either, what the heck is going on?

2. kjvp

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 10:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and we do have a Packtite passive monitor on the slats of our bed frame, and it's got no marks on it about three weeks after placement (position was based on advice for our frame that I found in this forum). We bought a new metal bed frame this week and were actually going to install it today, but now I'm waiting to hear back from our PCO if he wants to come inspect things first.

3. Frauleinash

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 13:38:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Distinguishing between mosquitoes and bedbugs is extremely difficult. For months, I thought I was getting eaten by mosquitoes at night.. It was so bad that I actually bought a canopy mosquito net for my bed. The bedbugs *adored* that thing, lemme tell ya!

From someone who has very nasty reactions to both mosquitoes and bedbugs, I can tell you that the difference between the bites is that the mosquito bites did not itch anywhere near as bad as the bedbugs, and they lasted much longer, about 2 weeks versus a few days. How long have you had the monitors in place? Have you checked every nook and cranny within 5-7 feet of your bed?

4. kjvp

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 13:45:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Not *every* nook and cranny, but we've done a full cleaning and had the PCO check twice and show us where to check for ourselves. Our passive monitor has been in place for about two weeks.

I just feel like at this point, if it were bed bugs, we would be seeing SOME signs like fecal stains on the bed. It's been more than a month since the very first bites, and we've never found and confirmed fecal stains on our bed or pillows. Am I wrong in that thinking?

5. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 16:18:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert but I have read of cases on this website where it has taken people 8 months to find the bedbugs on their bed with no signs of fecal or casings. I think they found the bedbugs in a knot in the headboard in the end.
    By the way I have recently been bitten by a spider and the bites took weeks to stop itching. Female spiders can lay loads of eggs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19