Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What next? Is this normal?

(6 posts)
  1. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 6:51:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been lurking here on the forums for about 3 weeks.

I have bed bugs... there, I said it.

When I finally knew I had them (I found one of the little bastards... then another and another and another and I'm going to stop before I have a mental breakdown), I called my LL, called Orkin, and scheduled an inspection. So, they come out, and "inspect" which really meant confirm that they were bed bugs. I've bagged and tossed most of my furniture (kept a desk, book case (no books on it anymore), bed, and nightstand, kitchen table and chairs)... gone are the couch (:( ), gone is my comfortable chair. I got rid of stuff I knew had had bed bugs on it and would be difficult to treat.

Well, Orkin came out now 14 days ago. The guy seemed competent, did a thorough job (I had prepped as best as possible... still living out of bags). The same day, climb-ups arrived, so I put them on the bed, etc). During the first 10-days of the ordeal following initial treatment, I probably slept there 5-6 nights. I know I should have been more diligent, but, I just couldn't get a good night sleep, and, knowing that my GFs place is safe, I couldn't resist the idea of sleeping nicely there.

9 days in, I woke up in the morning and grabbed the flashlight to do my (new) routine check of climbups and sheets. TWO OF THE BUGGERS IN THE BED CLIMBUP near the corner of the room. One nymph... one clearly an adult. I captured and taped them and placed them in tupperware. Then I called Orkin to schedule followup. Let them know I had confirmed bugs still present.

They came the next day. The guy was there about an hour (studio apartment), and sprayed the hell out of the place. I feel confident that he did a thorough job. This time, I've been sleeping in the apartment every night. Last night was night 3. I was just starting to feel ok about it all... I woke up... blood smears on the sheet. Two of them . One big one by lower body. One small one by arms.

So, here is my question... I'm already into the "zen" state of knowing that this problem will just take time and effort to cure... but... is this normal? Like, I thought my bed was safe since I Had no bites since first treatment, just found bugs in the climbups. I thought the bed was clean. But, they got onto the bed somehow, and judging by the one blood stain, I must have smooshed an adult last night.

Is it normal to still have these things 3 days after treatment 2? Should I freak out (of course not), and, does it necessarily mean a 3rd treatment is necessary? Or, is a nighttime attack normal a few days after treatment?

Please help.

-- Sleepless in PGH

2. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 11:46:01
    #

Login to Send PM

My minor infestation - only ever saw 1 adult bug & started treatments 3 weeks after I'm pretty sure I brought them home - required 5 treatments. I don't think the guy who did treatments 1-3 was as thorough as he should have been because his manager did 4 & 5, but still, you just never know.

Ultimately it depends on how resistant your bugs are to the chemicals and where they're hiding. From what I've been told, very resistant bugs pretty much need to be sprayed directly with the chemicals or at least spend a good amount of time laying on it. While some bugs will die by simply crawling into it, that's not always the case and that's why they sometimes they take a long time to eliminate.

As far as 2 days afterward, from what I've been told, the chemicals the EPA will allow them to use sometimes takes up to a week for them to die - I think it just eventually dries them out and it's not an immediate death.

That's great your PCO is thorough. Stick with your gut and if you're confident he's doing a good job - sounds like it since he spent an hour on a studio - mine spent just a little over an hour on a 3 bedroom house - keep working with him and together you can win this battle.

One final note, has your LL arranged for inspection of adjacent units? Often in apartments, the problem is coming from another unit. So even if you get rid of them in your place, the could just come back. He may not have received complaints from other tenants because often people are embarrassed to talk about them or if they don't react to the bits, they may not know they have them. Make sure to talk to your LL about this and have the other units inspected. - Best

3. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 12 2011 10:56:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks...

I've spent the weekend trying to rationalize and make excuses... maybe my toe bled from where I picked a toenail.. maybe maybe maybe.

LL has been OK... Said no one else has said anything about bugs, didn't seem inclined to inspect other apartments.

I guess I need to call PCO and say "found blood spots that are BB consistent" I've heard horror stories of Orkin doing everything that they can to avoid retreating (30-day guarantee).

I guess my biggest problem is that I don't feel comfortable to even eat in my own apartment anymore. It's a real hellish experience.

4. hevenbnd24

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 12 2011 14:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a thought on Orkin....

I called them first. They said to put my children as far away from the infestation as possible. The bugs followed my children, and went into my couch and living room.

My local PCO said that was the stupidest thing to do, because they follow. So maybe Orkin isn't the best PCO for BB?

My nightmare is continuing also, we are prepping for 1st and only treatment (we got the boot from our house because of these horrible bugs, only the house gets treatment 2 and 3)

5. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 12 2011 14:40:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I dunno, the guys who have come out seemed very very very thorough. I just feel like there is no end to this.

6. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 12 2011 15:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I've posted this before, but the thing to know about chain companies such as Orkin and Terminex is that they are essentially franchises. So one may be great in one city, but in a different city, they may be horrible. It all depends on how much training and experience that particular branch has with bed bugs. It's up to you to do your homework first before signing a contract.

Here's my story: I signed a contract with Orkin. I didn't do my homework first because like most people, I was panicked. I figured a brand name would certainly have the training and resources to do the best job possible. The first guy they sent out said they would get them on the first shot. My gut told me that wasn't right because what I had read online is that they're very difficult to get rid of. But he assured me the chemicals they use are so much better than other companies. I asked about the 30-day guarantee and I was told that meant they would continue treating for 30 days. I asked what if they didn't get rid of them in 30 days. He said not to worry, they would. My gut told me he wasn't right, but I told myself that they're the experts, so I had to trust them. They sent a different guy to do treatments 1-3 and of course, they didn't get them all and I panicked a week before my 30 day mark was up. There was no way I could afford to continue shelling out thousands of dollars. I called to complain because the guy was making incorrect notes on the paperwork. One for example is he repeatedly stated he treated our couch...we got rid of the couch. So I asked to speak to a supervisor because obviously his attention to detail was not good enough to get the job done. The supervisor ended up being a new branch manager hired just the week before. Unlike the rest of the staff who appear to have little knowledge or experience with bed bugs, he said he was actually the lead bed bug guy from another branch. He personally took over the treatments from that point and I think they are finally gone... The biggest difference is he promised (in email, so in writing, which is good for legal purposes) to continue treating our house until after the 30-day mark. - So I lucked out. Had I gotten them a month earlier, my feelings about that company would be much worse.

A final note on guarantee vs. warranty - since they are often misused. If a company promises a 30-day guarantee, if the problem is not resolved after 30 days, you have the right to ask for your money back and take your business elsewhere. A 30-day warranty means that they will do additional treatments if the problem resurfaces within 30 days. - Good Luck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993