(13 posts)
  1. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 0:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone-

I am grateful for all of the information here and am feeling terribly overwhelmed and exhausted. I am a bit embarrassed to say I have finally broken down and have been crying on and off for several hours.

W/out going into a long story:

*I detected a weird odor in my husband's man cave/den room (has a new upholstered couch, chair and ottoman) about 1.5 months ago.
    *He's been sleeping on the couch for about 2 months due to an injury which has caused insomnia (in some ways good because the issue seems contained to his den)
    *The day before his spinal fusion surgery; I noticed three red welts on his stomach. He thought it was an allergy to his grandmother's wool blanket.
    *When I got him home from the hospital and all tucked away in our bed; I decided to sleep in his den on the couch in so he could rest well and heal.
    *Three days later I had 78 bites all over my body.
    *Landlord hired very good PCO -- prep for treatment took me 5 days.
    *PCO treatment was 7-1-13 - husband, dogs and I staying in hotel for 4 days to be sure all chemicals used were dissipated enough to return.
    *Source of bed bugs has been confirmed to be upstairs neighbors (moving out -- being evited for unrelated issues -- supposed to be gone already).

The PCO will be returning for a 2nd treatment in about 10 days. I have instructed to sleep in the room on the couch and have caught about 10 live bed bugs and vacuumed up probably 40 dead ones and casing out of the couch. I have been spraying 91% IPA all over the couch and rug, have been vacuuming 2-3 times a day, and have ordered a steamer and packtite.

I am researching food grade DE for after the PCO treatments are finished and have bought and installed bed bug proof encasements on our bed and on the couch hide-away bed mattress.

I am just exhausted and feel so angry about this happening. As mentioned, I have been crying a lot today (not like me).

Is the anything else I can do to help get rid of these vermin? I feel like I cannot go anywhere or do anything for fear I will bring more bugs into my home or that I will bring bugs to my family or friends homes.

Argh. I am sorry to run on like this - I just feel so upset and ITCHY!

2. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 9:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoops -- it looks as if I accidentally posted this twice -- my apologies. Please feel free to remove the duplicate. Thanks!

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 11:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear little,

You might want to check out my recent thread "For ALL to Learn From" as this includes information which will be of help to you.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. bethany558

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 12:15:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I can certainly empathize!! For about 9 months I suffered with welts that would swell up and itch like crazy. I went from doctor to doctor...was diagnosed with several illmeses, which I didn't have...finally concluding that it was some sort of bug bite. but what kind of bug??

I checked out matress every day and night...no bed bugs. (I have brand new mattresses and both the mattress and box spring are encased in bed bug proof sheets) Finally, after coming home from the dermatologist who gave me ridiculous advice...I decided to give up on doctors.

Lo and behold....I checked my husbands side of the bed...and guess what?? Bed bugs. The can not get into the mattress or box spring becauase of the encasements...but they can live in the carpet[b].

I have been spraying for days. I use Hot Shot bed bug spray (lethal stuff, wear a mask and gloves)..and now I use Hot shot Natural spray.. All over the rug...and the mattresses...in every room. This did the trick. Although the whole house reeks of peppermint...its better then those nasty bugs. No bites since ive done this. I'm a much happier person now!

next step is I'm looking into pergo flooring for all the bedrooms.

Im not a spokesperson for Hot Shot. Just wanted to share my experience and hope that I can help somone else. BTW, and exterminater wll cost you $1000's

Good luck and keep us posted!

5. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 12:39:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul-

Thanks for the reply and advice -- I will look for and read your thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hi Bethany-

Thank you for the useful advice. My landlord did spring for a professional exterminator whose company has two staff that specialize specifically in bed bugs.

They were here at my apt. on 7-1-13 and will be back on or around the 15th for a second go round.

I am still seeing the little f-ers, but w/the exception of one dead med. sized b.b. in our bedroom; I have only seen them in my husb.'s den.

Aside for th 91% IPA spraying, insane vacuuming and leaving everything bagged; I think this might be a waiting game.

I will look into the minty spray -- I would gladly soaking in it if it would help!

6. bethany558

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 12:55:33
    #

Login to Send PM

We had a professional exterminator spray twice......soo expensive...now I'm doing it myself.

After months of suffering, (apparently I'm allergic to the bites)...I finally know whats causing it. The wierd thing is, no one else was getting bitten...or maybe they were and I just have a bad reaction.

Good luck with your problem!! Hope you get rid of the disgusting creatures.

Going out to get more "minty spray" lol. It's so strong that it's permeating to the basement.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 13:17:34
    #

Login to Send PM

bethany, In most cases, a professional who has knowledge and experience can get rid of the problem more quickly than someone with no experience. If you must do it yourself, I would not recommend OTC sprays. There are better products available to you. Some pros here, like P Bello above, may be willing to advise you on their use. [Update: please read my response to your other post here.]

In your case, littlebugstards, I am curious whether your PCO only treated the one room (man cave/den) or if they also inspected and/or treated other areas.

Also, you should be careful with the 91% alcohol. Yes, it's a contact killer. But it's highly flammable. It doesn't do anything if you don't hit a bed bug directly. And if you apply it to treated areas, you may be washing away more effective products the pro has applied.

If you're getting a dry vapor steamer, used properly, it's a powerful contact killer-- and a bit more powerful than alcohol (since a good steamer reaches just a little further) without the fumes and flammability issues. (Here's our FAQ on killing bed bugs with steam.)

The PCO needs to come back, usually done at 10-14 day intervals, until the problem is gone. Sofas are tricky, though can be treated with steam. Again, make sure you're not steaming where residual pesticides have been applied.

You might want to get a passive monitor on other beds in the home, just to be safe. (FAQ on monitors.)

Finally, you should not be a recluse during treatment. Our FAQs on travel cover how to visit others without spreading bed bugs.

I am reclassifying this thread as "bed bug treatment" rather than "psychological and health problems" because the topic seems to fit there better.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 21:19:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Isn't it crazy how dumb little bugs can give you PTSD? I looked in the mirror today and all of the sudden I was convinced the mole on my face was a bed bug. My boys who share a room have been getting bit but nobody else. It was confirmed yesterday (after they were getting bit for 3 wks) that we have BB's. You know what? I'm not even trippin over the cost b/c I know it's going to get rid of them and help me sleep at night. Catching them early means a higher success rate at eliminating them the first time.....and if not, I have a yr warranty..double peace of mind. Yes I know it's sucks but you just have to talk yourself back to sanity. It was hard for me to sleep last night and I just had to say positive things like...this too shall pass..they can't kill me...it will be over soon yaddda yadda. Also I would use the DE as more of a preventative measure and not during treatment b/c it may cancel out what they are spraying. Just a suggestion. It kills them slowly which means they still have time to reproduce!

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 22:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Using DE properly could enhance the results of professional treatment and would NOT "cancel out" the other application work.

If bed bugs were easy, we wouldn't need this Forum !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

10. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 7 2013 23:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe the pros get paid to say that about the DE....after all the first guy pretty much badmouthed it....but I know it helps. I wouldn't have found dead bugs if it didn't. I have a thin layer in various parts of the house and he still said he had to be all gone. Don't know how that's possible. Anyway...ended up going with another company.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 8 2013 1:21:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Our DE FAQ recommends working with your PCO if you choose to apply this or other products. Ask them where it's okay to apply the product.

Note that other DIY treatment methods besides dusts MAY "cancel out" what the pro is doing. For example, steaming or spraying an alcohol-based product where they've treated with a residual pesticide may remove the residual, and that would potentially undo their work.

So I think it's always best to work with the pro and not do things on your own that they're not aware of.

12. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 10:03:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the delayed reply to everyone – I did not see the thread had replies – still figuring out how to navigate the site
    ~~~~~
    Bethany-
    Yes, professional exterminators are expensive. I am lucky enough to have had a wonderful, reputable company in Chicago for treatments. They have bed bug experts on staff that really know their stuff and have taken many phone calls from me before and after the first treatment. I am very lucky to have my landlord footing the bill and he is committed to seeing these bugs eradicated in my building (so far anyhow).We had a professional exterminator spray twice......so expensive...now I'm doing it myself.
    I understand there are several different strains (not sure if that is the correct term) of bed bugs. I reacted severely to the little bloodsuckers in my apartment, but the husb. only received 3 bites on his tummy. Even though it has been a few 48 hours since my last bite; I still feel like some of the bites are fresh in terms of soreness/itchiness/prickly feeling.
    Thanks for the well wishes – right back atcha!

~~~~~

Hi NBOM-
    Yes, and thankfully; the PCO treated all rooms – even the kitchen and bathrooms. I live in a 100-ish year old vintage bldg. that has settled here and there. The original interior woodwork and molding has cracks and crevices in lots of places, as do many of the places where woodwork meets floor.
    Thanks for the heads up about the 91% alcohol. I am now using it when I come in and out of the apartment, mostly on the one and only pair of shoes I am wearing during the PCO treatment process, on dog leashes, keys, threshold between my back and storm door (took down the screen and put back up the storm during treatments). The PCO told me I could continue to use the 91% alcohol if it made me feel better, but told me not to overdo it.
    Thanks for the FAQ on steamers – I bought the vapamore MR 100 (I think that’s the name). It’s still in the box from UPS.
    The PCO (company is A-Alert/Singer Sanitation) will be back next week for treatment number 2. He told me I should not have to get rid of the sofa, chair or ottoman in the man cave. The sofa is a hide-a-bed. All three are under 4 months old, as is the area rug beneath them. I would hate to have to see all of these items go, but if that is what it takes then so be it. I will trust in the expertise of the PCO who has been incredibly kind and compassionate w/this problem.
    Thanks for the encouragement around not being a recluse during this time. I will read the FAQ on that as well. This is the hardest part to overcome for me. I have set up an appointment to see a local therapist – I have the say that the anger (at the upstairs neighbors – not just for my suspicion of this as I know I could have brought them in or anyone else, but also because of her apparent physical abuse, neglect and indifference to her two children), coupled w/the anxiety and sadness that this is happening at a time when my husb. is recovering from cervical spinal surgery leaves me in a general state of mild to moderate despair most of the time. I am looking forward to dumping some of these toxic emotions – along with dumping this toxic little bugstards!
    A special thanks to NBOM for starting this wonderful site – just logging on makes me feel a wee bit better every time 
    (PS- bought active and passive monitors for all room except kitchen and bathrooms)

~~~~~
    Hi Confirmed-

I know I feel a bit batsh*t when I am incessantly vacuuming the house, cleaning the vacuum and using a flashlight to search the sofa, chair and ottoman, beds, rugs, etc. after vacuuming – but other than that – nope – I think I am perfectly sane! (heh).
    I am not freaking over the costs anymore either. It is what it is. Husb. and I have spent out holiday fund (planned trip to Ireland) on this bugged-out nut show. We’ve been through the ringer over the last 4 or 5 years w/chronic health stuff for both of us and even for both of our dogs! This has caused us to hemorrhage cash out the whazzo. However, we have kept our sanity through humor and have been so giddy due to lack of sleep (and him likely due to his post-surgical pain meds) that we seem to be getting through this okay.
    You have some good self-talk advice – thanks for that. And hey, if you are up late and ever want to “bug talk” via phone, please let me know and we can exchange numbers. I tend to be up during the optimum feeding time. Ick.
    The infestation cannot last forever, and, if it comes back, we will be much better prepared to deal w/it.
    I will hold off and wait to use the DE until I talk w/the PCO again.

~~~~~
    Hi Paul-

Your posts always seem to calm me down. When I read them I think of the scene at the end of the movie Animal House where Kevin Bacon is trying to do crowd control and is holding his arms up shouting, “Remain calm! All is well! All is well!” which happens right before he gets trampled and flattened like a living cartoon pancake. Love that movie. Teehee.

13. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 10:05:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoops - The young Mr. Bacon image was to go at the bottom -- oh well -- you get the idea

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur