Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What kind of bug bit me? Bed Bug? Mosquito? Flea? HELP!

(3 posts)
  1. MissMolly951

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 20:41:49
    #

Login to Send PM

So I am trying to figure out if I have bed bugs or I got bit by mosquitoes or what. So I started just wearing a tshirt to bed. No underwear or pants. And recently I noticed some bites on me. two on my left lower stomach ( about an inch and a half apart, two in my inner left thigh about an inch apart, and two on my upper left thigh (about 4 inches from the ones in my inner thigh). They are all about the size of a pencil eraser except one of the ones on my stomach is a little bigger. All have the small dot in the middle from the bite site. It wasn't until I started itching them that I saw them that I noticed them and they are now red. From what I have read, bed bug bites are normally formed in a straight line. Every weekend I stay at my friend's house and she has a dog. Who knows maybe he picked up fleas. Also at her house I wear shorts to bed that can ride up and if my shirt rides up as well, these places may become exposed. I my mattress, mattress pad, and box spring and saw no bugs, exoskeletons, rusty smears suggesting feces or any dark spots other then specks of fuzz here or there. I just vacuumed, washed all my sheets and pillow cases and clothes because I got freaked out. None on my pillows either had anything on them either. I know if it persists or doesn't go away I will check with my doc, etc. but as for right now I want to know someone else's opinion before I overreact. I wish I could attach photos :/

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2016 2:56:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps take a break from the friend's house and see if you are still getting bitten. If not then it is not your place and possibly yr friend's place. Keep inspecting yr place bed, mattress and boxbed

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 7 2016 2:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't tell by looking at the skin reaction or by how it feels. The "straight line" idea is not the rule people think it is. So it's best to look for evidence of the pests rather than looking at a skin reaction which may not even be pest-related.

We have a FAQ with instructions for a flea trap to monitor and see if you have fleas. You can also buy one inexpensively from a hardware store.

We also have a FAQ on bed bug monitors.

Those can help you rule out bed bugs and fleas. Mosquitos usually give themselves away at some point.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982