Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What is this?? Could it be?? [a: bed bugs can't be diagnosed from skin reaction]

(11 posts)
  1. ank767

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 27 2015 17:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Help! Could these be bed bug bites? My 18 month old son woke up with these this morning. I have no idea how we could have gotten them? We live in a house. We don't travel. My house is immaculate (I know that doesn't matter but its worth saying). We hardly ever go anywhere and my husband owns his own business where he works outside. I TORE my bedroom apart (my son co-sleeps) and found no signs at all. I looked for HOURS. Im stumped and thought Id turn to a forum. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!
    http://postimg.org/image/ose45jybh/d218bc7d/

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 27 2015 17:44:22
    #

Login to Send PM

There are lots of things that may cause skin reactions on infants. Do NOT panic!
    If you do have them then physical evidence will turn up eventually. I can't tell by the photo alone on my phone screen.
    Perhaps Lou might weigh in . . .

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 27 2015 18:31:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ank767.

P Bello is a professional and I am not. However, it has been stated on here many times that bed bugs cannot be diagnosed through skin reactions or "bites" and one must find other evidence: Fecal, eggs, shed skins, or bugs (dead or alive).

Is there anyway the skin reactions could be the beginning of chicken pox? Does your son go to daycare or been around anyone with chicken pox? I ask this NOT to diagnose your son based on the photograph, but (1) to point out again what P Bello said which was many things can cause skin reactions; (2) I remember when my children got chicken pox it started out as a few "bumps" and spread; and (3) that's quite a few "bites" to just wake up over night with.

So . . . again . . . and bottom line . . . I have no idea if it's chicken pox or not (was just throwing that out there). . . and I (and I'm gonna say "we" here as everyone on the forum) have no idea if it's bed bugs based on skin reactions alone.

It can be many, many things . . .so as P Bello said . . . let's not start panicking!

4. Kneeves

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 28 2015 8:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

when i first discovered we had beg bugs, my 2 year old woke up with bites like that. BUT!!! being that the weather is getting a little warmer, i would look for a mosquito lurking around. do u have pets? maybe fleas? everyone will tell u bites are NOT a sign of bed bugs and for a lot of people that is 100% correct. don't let a few bites scare you, because it could be ANYTHING. get some passive monitors to confirm, if u find any bug, compare with the pictures provided in the FAQ section. if you're unsure, the experts here are amazing and will give u a definitive answer. look inside the creases of your sofas, thats how i found mine. but this was before i even knew passive monitors existed and i was clueless as to how to look for signs, and like you, i panicked when i saw those bites. BBalert passive monitors are fairly inexpensive and are extremely effective, i highly suggest getting one for each bed if you're able to. there are also DIY monitors that are in the FAQ section on this site. good luck to you, i really hope it isn't bed bugs!

5. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 28 2015 9:44:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Also check to see if your son has any fever accompanying the skin reaction, usually with Varicella (chickenpox), Rubella (German measles) and others ,they will run low grade fever from a few days before to a few days after the out break of bumps. That will help in determining if he needs to see the doctor asap.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 28 2015 13:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello is a professional and I am not. However, it has been stated on here many times that bed bugs cannot be diagnosed through skin reactions or "bites" and one must find other evidence: Fecal, eggs, shed skins, or bugs (dead or alive).

This.

Neither Paul nor Lou nor a dermatologist can tell you if your skin reaction is from bed bugs.

However, monitors will help you determine if bed bugs are present, as noted above, and I would second the idea of seeing a doctor. That looks uncomfortable and the doctor may have a diagnosis or at least a treatment to help the child be more comfortable until the problem is solved.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. ank767

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 28 2015 18:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all so much for your advice. It's not chicken pox. They are definitely bites and the only bites they resemble (that Ive seen) are bed bugs but I guess time will tell. I talked to a pest management guy today and he won't even come look unless I've seen evidence. I ordered bed bug interceptors and I guess I will keep monitoring, I was up 4 times last night with a flashlight and saw nothing so that's a good sign I guess.

Another question: If the previous tenants had had an infestation could it have resurfaced? I know they are world travelers. We have lived in this house for about 7 months. It was just a thought.

Again, thank you for the advice!

8. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 29 2015 13:13:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Another question: If the previous tenants had had an infestation could it have resurfaced? I know they are world travelers. We have lived in this house for about 7 months. It was just a thought.

Don't take this badly but your grabbing at straws here , bedbugs wouldn't resist you that long if they where in the house 7 months & suddenly start attacking all in one night now.
    I'm not an expert but that doesn't fit any human biting bugs or insects.

I'm not an expert on kids or maybe I do qualify, I've raised 6 children & 5 survived lol..
    No seriously, It wouldn't hurt to see the doctor for some comfort measures for the welts.
    just sayin what I think ,if it were mine ,It would see the doc first then worry about bedbugs that may or may not be there. its could be fleas,ants or any number of insects to cause it..

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 29 2015 18:17:11
    #

Login to Send PM

"There are lots of things that may cause skin reactions on infants. Do NOT panic!
    If you do have them then physical evidence will turn up eventually. I can't tell by the photo alone on my phone screen.
    Perhaps Lou might weigh in . . ."
    ---------------------
    I'll weigh in. You can't tell by photo alone and there are many things that can cause skin reactions in people in general.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. ihatethisbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 29 2015 21:12:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Any word on this? Ank767, did you find more evidence?

11. Robin

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 30 2015 7:01:31
    #

Login to Send PM

This is MEDICAL not bites. My first reaction is MEASLES.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,647 posts in 50,007 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop