Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

What is the lifespan? New information

(5 posts)
  1. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Feb 14 2010 1:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everybody.

Here's a link to a Virginia Tech/Dini Miller abstract titled Survivorship and growth potential of modern bed bug (Cimex lectularius) populations in the United States http://esa.confex.com/esa/2009/webprogram/Paper44657.html

Can anyone get their hands on what is being referred to as "life tables to determine population growth potential" ? This information would update our data.

OCD, can you try to get the full study? I'll be searching too.

Bait

2. Strabat

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Feb 14 2010 3:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no expert but, I'll take a swag at this - Life tables are calculations used in ecology and entomology (and other biological sciences) to determine how much time is spent in each stage of development. The following is one explanation.
    http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent425/tutorial/lifetbl.html

3. bb_gave_me_ocd

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Feb 14 2010 10:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks to me like the abstract is all that's available right now...I will do some more searching but I am not optimistic. I hope the authors develop this into a full paper.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Feb 14 2010 12:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll wait for the whole thing.

If trying for starvation I'll still use the old times. Why? Simple. The BB war is only won by 100% kill.

For that goal I will use the longest times ever observed in modern, and yes the 30's counts as modern enough, observation.

For the sake of argument if Dr. Miller's study shows some populations only lived 6 months. If you population is from the same gene pool and you open starvation bags after 7 months you are kosher. If you population isn't from that same pool and has the old survival characteristics, you are re infested.

Back to square one and start the whole war over again.

I'll look forward to the whole paper.

Jim

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Feb 14 2010 12:49:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not currently at a "research intensive" university, so I don't have unlimited access to as many databases as if I were at what used to be known as a Research 1 school, but I did check the most likely databases for the full article, and I couldn't find it.

So it looks like just the abstract is currently available, at least in the databases I can get to.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991