1. Bug Buffet

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 28 2018 15:39:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow posters (lurkers too)...

I'm probably jinxing myself, but here goes:

I've been a member here, posting occasionally, since 9/2014. Rather than go through a whole looooong history, I refer you to these past topics I've posted:

1)https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/the-bb-experience-a-few-thoughts
    2)https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/dealing-with-denial

In mid-February of 2018, my 86-yr. old mom, (with whom I've lived since July of 2008), spent 6 weeks in a skilled nursing facility for rehab after a week-long hospital stay for various illnesses. I took that time, while she was physically out of the house, to actively battle the bugs.

I hired Rose Pest Solutions, who did a thorough inspection of our home; unfortunately, they didn't have to look very hard, because after a 4 YEAR-long infestation the bugs were in very obvious, out-in-the-open places - literally just sitting on surfaces where you could see them easily. It was very mortifying, but the tech inspecting was very nice and understanding. They gave me a pre-treatment prep sheet and a week later inspected again to make sure the prep was done properly (it was). After getting the OK from them, the heat treatment was scheduled.

On 3/13/18 they performed a heat treatment of the entire house, spraying in areas that couldn't be effectively treated (basement & enclosed back porch) with Transport Micron. The house was sealed and heated to 120 degrees for 6 hours, with the techs staying to cool down the house so it could be inhabited. (I didn't request this; it's apparently part of their procedures. I would have been happy to have the house cool down naturally over 1-2 more days for extended heat-kill). The company provided a 90-day warranty, with any subsequent visits/treatments provided for free. The cost was $2600. The only notable damage was to a few already yellow and crumbling vinyl window blinds and the front entry door, which subtly warped enough that it no longer locks with a key, although the outside security door locks fine. I have new doors being installed on 11/3, so that issue will be taken care of.

In preparation for mom's return home on 3/31, I thoroughly cleaned the whole house, discarding any and all items, including furniture, that had dead bbs in it (after making sure they were wrapped in heavy 6-mil thick mattress bags). I utilized a junk-hauling service to take the well-wrapped items away.

I didn't see any more bedbugs until 5/8/18, 2 days after my mom was rehospitalized for a recurrance of illness; one live insect was spotted on a strairway bannister. I captured it an called the company, who sent a tech out within the hour. He sprayed that area and throughout the house with Transpost Micron.

I haven't seen any live bugs since 5/8 (in 1 and 1/2 weeks it will be 6 months). I've experienced no bites (and I'm very reactive to them). I use Packtite monitors and check them weekly. Nothing in them.

Was the treatment thorough? Yes. Was it expensive? Somewhat. Was it worth it? YES!

My mom passed away 5/11/18. I like to think that getting rid of the bed bugs made the time she was home a little more confortable.

I just wish I could have done it all sooner.

Oh yeah, and I miss my mom so much, my heart aches.

To everyone still fighting the battle, much success to you. To those who have won (for now) - congratulations. For the existance of this web site, my deepest gratitude.

Sorry for how long this post is - I was trying to be thorough.

Take care everyone.

BBuffet

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 29 2018 22:58:21
    #

Login to Send PM

BBuffet,

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is so hard.
    Thanks for sharing your story.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 30 2018 10:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBuffet,
    I don't look forward to the day when I have to go through that with my parents but I know as they get older, it becomes more of a reality. I just hope that I can do all that I can now to show them how much I love and appreciate them like you did for your mom by caring for her so many years and trying to keep her comfortable and happy while dealing with the stress of pests and your own problems. I'm sure she was grateful for all you did for her. Hope the bed bugs and other bad memories fade quickly and only the good times come to mind when you think of her and bring you comfort.

Tell me a success story, please!
    Vince

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH