What else can we do?

(4 posts)
  1. bugsalot

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 20:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Several weeks ago I was changing in a dressing room and saw bites all over my back in the three way mirror. That's how I found out I had bed bugs.

There were only a few on my bed, none on my housemate/landlord's (he sleeps in the attic). I covered my bed, sprayed the crap out of everything with alcohol. They are no longer in my room for the most part. I haven't been bitten in weeks. Once in a while I'll find a straggler.

We have another housemate. He brang the BB into the house and spread them to the sofa, where most of my bites occured. His bed has hundreds. Maybe thousands. We covered the mattress and boxspring. We vaccuumed. We sprayed. We did laundry. Three weeks later, his mattress cover had several dozen on it. We cleaned out the room, tossed most things in the trash, did laundry, spread DE around everywhere, sprayed everywhere else, recovered mattress, boxspring, pillow, vaccuumed the hell out of everything. Two weeks later the second layer of mattress cover is infested around the seams.

For the last four weeks, we have been prepping for Orkin to come. We live in a 150 year old house that has been in my landlord's family for 80 years. We got a dumpster out front, pitched the sofa, most apholstered furniture, and many other things. We covered the infected beds, and got rid of most of the books. Laundry around the clock. Everything that moves is being quarantined with DE all over it, or washed and locked in Magic Bags. The rest of the house seems BB free, except for an occasional straggler, dead or alive.

But they keep coming back in ground zero. Housemate #2 has a bit of dementia, and so is little help. He won't even speak up when he sees them wandering about on his bed.

What else can we do to contain the problem in this room?

2. ItchyNYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 10 2012 16:18:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I would throw out that mattress and box spring right away and stop trying to solve the problem by encasing it (throw it out encased though and make sure it has a note on it that says it has bed bugs).

3. jarodsafehouse71

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 1:18:25
    #

Login to Send PM

bugsalot - 2 months ago  » 

But they keep coming back in ground zero. Housemate #2 has a bit of dementia, and so is little help. He won't even speak up when he sees them wandering about on his bed.

I'm having a similar problem in GROUND ZERO as you so effectively put it. The rest of the house is virtually fine except my father's bedroom and the living room where he spends much of his time.

Have you cleaned out his room? Washed, dried everything? Cleaned out clutter, etc?

4. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2012 10:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

jarodsafehouse71 - 1 day ago  » 

bugsalot - 2 months ago  » 

I'm having a similar problem in GROUND ZERO as you so effectively put it. The rest of the house is virtually fine except my father's bedroom and the living room where he spends much of his time.
    Have you cleaned out his room? Washed, dried everything? Cleaned out clutter, etc?

Omg me too !!!! Ground zero was my sons room, it was not as bad as your description , but was not pretty either. I had stragglers and could not figure out where they were coming from. My sons room was virtually empty. Except for dresser and a foot rest. No one has slept in there for months. Yesterday I found my answer , the foot rest came apart and i found a few eggs and very small bedbugs. I steamed them to death and whet in search of the big one. Found it in the dresser. Same fate. The stragglers were coming out of that room that i thought was clear. Hopefully now its clear. Yet i will steam the floor for days to come before anyones allowed in there. Little buggers will always find a way to the food source . good luck , persistence will prevail.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316