Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

What do you think of this method and company?

(11 posts)
  1. ShelaghDB

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 26 2012 13:53:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Curious. These posters have started popping up near me and I am curious about the company and their methods, and w tether it works or not.

I get the impression its a one person operation, but I might be wrong?

I am partly concerned for on their page they use a term , "imbreeding"

I know what inbreeding means, but not sure as to how it does so with bedbugs?
    If I am right and there is not any such word as imbreeding, an error like that on
    their web page suggests they aren't overly professional perhaps?
    ( Unless i am wrong and need new english lessons )

Bed Bug Breeding Habits: Imbreeding
    Bed bugs are infesting at an alarming rate. New research shows that bed bugs have ability to imbreed and that it is a good reason why bed bugs breed so quickly.

Heatsolete.ca

2. ShelaghDB

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 26 2012 14:15:34
    #

Login to Send PM

And.......how well would this work in an apartment building? Wouldnt the heat send them scampering away from it, into another unit?

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 26 2012 15:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Their single explanation (i.e., imbreeding) is quite poor and some of their website information is incorrect, if that's any help. Correct, word is inbreeding. From their website, their information for identification of bed bugs is not very good - it's almost as if they really haven't examined them, just only perform treatments.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 28 2012 0:11:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm in Canada also, I'm assuming you are since this site is in Toronto

Heat treatment DOES NOT work if you live in an appartment building, or old appartment with cracks. I found out the hard way after hiring two outfits from Montreal and wasting like $4500.
    The bugs go hide deeper in the walls via all sorts of cracks and end up in the unit next door below or above, as soon as your place cools down they slowly return

Both companies came back once to re treat and both times the very next day the bugs came right back. They make you feel like it's just you, that you are a special case and that this never ever happens. Then you start contacting tradional exterminators and they tell you that they had to treat and treat after the heat guys failed a whole bunch of people.

The truth is, they fail most of the time.

I'm now dealing with a PCO that uses residual pesticide and rotates the products, he's extremely knowledgable, and ironicaly (spelling?) he is the least expensive. After 8 months, it was only with those guys that I actually started seeing dead bedbugs here and there.

That combined with DE properly applied (as per the FAQ on it on this here site) and cooking my stuff in a packtite is the only thing that seems to show progress for me

Some peeps have had an easier time, and some peeps have had a harder time.

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 28 2012 2:18:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It is my understanding that successful heat treatment is possible in apartments.

However, success in heat or thermal treatment depends on the actual protocols used and the skill and experience of the team. And it's really impossible for us to judge these things from a website.

In reference to the previous poster, and for what it's worth, there are a lot of complaints about heat treatment in Montreal. I am not sure we've heard a successful heat treatment report from that city. I would stress that this doesn't mean successful treatments aren't happening in Montreal-- we just aren't getting feedback on those.

Toronto, on the other hand, seems to have some options.
    You might want to search the forums for Toronto PCOs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 28 2012 2:24:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Note also that firms using the terms "thermal" and "heat" treatment are, in my understanding, not using the same methods, and everyone using "heat" is not following the same method.

7. montrbug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 28 2012 7:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to say that I have had success with the heat treatment in Montreal. Not the first company that I used, but the second. They were very professional and gave me a three month guarantee. They have canine inspection as well as the heat treatment. The gentleman I spoke with was very knowledgeable. If you would like the name of the company just let me know.

8. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 31 2012 1:31:10
    #

Login to Send PM

are you the owner montrbug??

9. montrbug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 31 2012 5:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

No. I actually responded to another one of your posts in another thread and shared a little bit of my story. I just was responding to Nobugsonme who said:
    " n reference to the previous poster, and for what it's worth, there are a lot of complaints about heat treatment in Montreal. I am not sure we've heard a successful heat treatment report from that city. I would stress that this doesn't mean successful treatments aren't happening in Montreal-- we just aren't getting feedback on those".
    I just wanted to help that's all. That certain treatments do work, so some people can have hope to finally get rid of there bed bug problems.

10. Mike_Heatsolete

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 13:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Mike St.Amour and I am the owner of Heatsolete. We are the first company in Ontario to utilize the Heat-Assault 500X, and proud of it. We have performed a lot of treatments successfully in houses, condos, and apartments. We also provide people with renovations to help prevent an infestation from adjacent units. Sealing houses or apartments and condos has been very popular and greatly reduces risk of infestation from adjacent units. Heatsolete is not a one man operation, we currently have 8 employees. Our heater units are over 100 pounds and require two people to set up.

- Although a spelling mistake was made on our website, it was discovered and corrected very shortly after it was placed live.

- As for a single explanation, the error in question is an actual link to a news article that fully explains the headline and our single explanation.

- With all due respect, I am not sure what loubugs meant when he stated that there is incorrect information on our website. Other than a picture of a bed bug that may confuse people due to a hair on the arm that the bug is on, I have not received an answer as to what is incorrect. I do not wish to spread the wrong information and I invite anyone who finds incorrect information to pm me so I can correct the error.

- In my experience, if you are in an old apartment or have a lot of cracks, there is a very good chance that your neighbors have bed bugs as well. If you are the only one treated, the bugs from your neighbors will most likely infest your unit in a short period of time, whether the treatment was successful or not.

- I am aware that our bed bug identification is not very good. We are planning a major site overhaul. This new site will have a much better section to identify bed bugs. It will have some other new features that you can explore and discover once the new site is live.

- When it comes to chemical pest control companies, they may say anything to get your business. They are competing with a much more effective treatment type. Some heat treatments may fail, but 90% of our customers have been sprayed more than 3 times, are told to live out of bags, are forced to throw out furniture, and still have bed bugs. I am not saying that chemicals don’t work, but the clients we treat have had no success with chemicals and have spent more then what a heat treatment costs due to time, treatment cost, and lost belongings.

- There are 3 types of heat treatments currently in Ontario. Electric, propane, and Heat-Assault (propylene glycol).

-Electric systems pose dangers with high voltages, fire due to red hot elements, and do not heat the area fast enough allowing bugs to escape.

- Propane treatments pose risk of fire and explosion. They also must leave windows open during treatment to avoid window blowouts. You can imagine how much heat loss they are enduring. It is also debated whether mold can be a problem due to moisture from the fire heated air, which is said to be large amounts.

- Heatsolete_Heat-Assault uses liquid that is heated and looped through heater units. It recycles air inside so windows can remain closed. It is completely dry heat, leaving no moisture behind. No risk of fire because there is no red hot elements or flammable materials present. It produces
    500,000 btu/h which raises temperatures so fast that the bugs don’t have time to escape. We also use a thermal imager to ensure the heat has thoroughly penetrated all your belongings.

We are a company who takes pride in our services. I hope I have addressed all your concerns. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me personally by pm, or email sales@heatsolete.ca.

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 14:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

No treatment method is 100% perfect and each has its' own advantages and disadvantages.

Heat for example:

Plus: Provides good kill and may preclude the necessity of having to do as much detailed preparation work.

Minus: Once the heat is gone there is no effective residual.

Plus: Heat can kill across a broad area of the building/room/unit being treated at that time and can do so without the use of chemicals.

Minus: Heat or the lethal threshold temperature must be delivered uniformly in an efficacious fashion in order to provide optimal results. If various "heat sinks" are present within the treated area and not properly addressed then bed bugs may escape/survive the treatment.

Of course, it is not recommended that we use heat units that require bringing combustable fuel into a structure as we've already seen enough fires caused by bed bug control efforts already.

Simply stated, bed bugs require a thorough & comprehensive effort and no one tool or methodology is ideal for every situation every time. The good news is that there are a variety of effective methods that may be utilized to successfully control bed bugs however, each of these methodologies, whether done in conjunction with others or not must be done in an optimal fashion to assure effectiveness.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula