Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What do I do? Saddest time of my life. Please help me.

(7 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:13:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone and I want to bring this thread especially to the attention of PCOs.
    **I am sorry that this is long, but please take a few minutes to read**

Three months ago I saw 2 dead bugs (NOT IDed because I was an idiot and flushed them down) and looking from my thread that I posted 3 days later, I have mentioned them as having wings. ( Paranoia sometimes tricks my memory).

I decided to keep everything the way they were and wait 70 odd days and then inspect carefully (my logic was that I did not want to disturb any bugs if there were any) and about a week ago I started my cleaning process working from outside to the inside (bed) and until today everything was fine.

I checked every mm of my sheets, mattress protectors, duvets and mattress seams and everything is fine. Today, I stood the mattress on the floor and began inspecting my bed frame (it has 2 compartments to store suitcases) and my first compartment was clean, no problem.

When I opened my second one I found out (gave attention for the first time) that is ANOTHER narrow gap between the headboard and the bed frame. I am using a small LED flash light to look at nook and corners and from a very awkward angle at about 3 feet high, I can't make anything out in that gap.

In the second compartment, I found a shed skin of a bug up for ID here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bug-id-please-30

This is just from looking at the second compartment for few minutes, I spent little over 6 hours so far on the bed area so I'd like to think I am doing a thorough inspection.

Here are my questions and PLEASE give any input and I will forever appreciate your help:

How do I go about checking what's inside the narrow gap?

***** I am tired, exhausted, and depressed and I want to take the night off and continue my inspection tomorrow. Should I leave the mattress standing against the wall next to the bed, or should I put it back on the bed for the night?

Since over 90 days has passed (exactly 91 days) can I expect to see visible evidences if there are any bed bugs?

I would like to point out that I have no bites so far, but I would like to err on the side of caution and assume I do not react to bites.

My health in recent days has gone bad and bad to worse. My holidays have been ruined. My friends are almost sick of me ( I don't blame them). My parents think I have gone crazy. And my wait and the mental agony I have experienced in the last months is finally coming to an end now and I am happy about that, but I want these questions answered so I can complete the inspection carefully and properly and know for sure what my situation is.

PS. When I lifted the double bed, my recent loss of body strength gave way and the mattress fell. Do bugs scatter because of this? If so, do they return to their harbourage site?

One last point. I will be sleeping in the bathroom (yes it sounds weird, but I live in a studio and this is my only option) and I want to know if this affects anything.

I know this is a long post, but you would be helping me a lot if you can answer this, a help that I will never forget. I want to be happy like before and I need your help for that.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 16:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Scared,

OK, I'll give your questions a shot:

Firstly, let's put things in perspective: You're not getting bit, you don't see any evidence of bed bugs and it sounds like you've done a fairly thorough inspection so far. Relax, it doesn't seem as if you have bed bugs at all. The photo you posted is a shed skin of a carpet beetle type critter and NOT a bed bug !

If you need to enspect the gap area as described above try the follwng suggestions:

> Use a thin bladed screw driver as a lever to seperate the two surfaces as you shine a flashlight between to inspect.

> Shen a light from the far end or side as you view into the area.

> Use a magnifying device to enhance your view.

> Your mattress? It seeoms as if you do not have BBs so you can leave it there for as long as you wish.

> Look for signs of BBs, if you have 'em you should see signs of them such as fecal stains, shed skins, carcasses or live bugs.

Calm down, relax and take control of your situation.

Hope this helps !

paul b.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 22:12:04
    #

Login to Send PM

HI iamscared,

The bug you found is NOT a bed bug or cast skin, according to the experts. That's great.

It sounds like you have a storage bed and these can make one nervous because you can't reach every nook and cranny.

That said, after 90 days, even if bed bugs were harboring in a secret locale deep inside the storage bed, they would be presumably coming out to feed at least about once a week each.

And each time they did that, they'd poop afterwards.

I am NOT an expert, but my understanding from them is you should definitely be seeing fecal stains if bed bugs are present for such a time.

I would assume you don't have bed bugs and that there's another cause for any skin issues.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 4:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply.

My carpet is like this: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8309/photo6aj.jpg
    I just don't know how I can look for any insect or faeces with so many colours and black thread which might look like their poop.

In 90 days, if there were just eggs, would they have matured into adults?

PS. I don't have any skin reaction per se, but every acne sign triggers panic and winter means dry skin and itchy sensation. It's hard not to link everything to bed bugs.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 14:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi imsoscared,

Bed bugs like to harbor near were they feed.

They are likely to be in the vicinity of the bed to start with (occasionally people report issues which start in a sofa type area). They will harbor near where they feed and return there afterwards. So my understanding is you would expect to see fecal staining, most likely on the bed.

It's my understanding that you would not have a situation where the bed bugs were harboring in the carpet, coming out to feed, and never pooping until they reached the carpet again.

Also, in 90 days, you would certainly have adults if they had access to food (you) as they have.

Bed bugs feed about once a week, more if they are warm enough. Each blood meal allows them to progress to the next life stage. So in about five weeks they should have progressed to adult and started laying eggs if they are female and there's a male to inseminate them.

Since you have not had a single bug positively identified as a bed bug, as well as no symptoms beyond itchy, dry skin, I would assume it is not bed bugs.

A passive monitor (Bbalert passive) might take away some of the stress, since it could help you
    monitor your bed going forward, since you're nervous about bed bugs.

6. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 11:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme, words cannot express how thankful I am for your reply.

I still haven't completed inspecting as I have a very difficult and complex bed frame structure with a 4 cm gap near the headboard, and I am planning to use a mop stick with double side tape to poke in and see if there are anything in there.

While I have a sofa in my room (about 6 feet from foot end of the bed), I have never sat on it in a year and a half but to remove suspicion I cleaned it deep and found nothing.

One last question while this thread is alive : How far can you expect them to be at most from their food source? Also, how easy is it to "disturb" them, and make them spread away or hide in new places?

Thank you once again, your reply has helped me and I am sure it will help others in my situation filled with paranoia and hindered social or academic life because of it.

Edit: I have read wonderful things about the passive monitor (and I applaud David's genius for inventing something like that) but I have some concern about using it, and I will discuss them later after consulting with David.

7. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 13:19:51
    #

Login to Send PM

IAmScared,

I sent you a private message. Please read it.

Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,659 posts in 50,009 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop