What do I do now? Spread to neighbors.

(3 posts)
  1. sadandscratchy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2009 14:50:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into a new apartment in Brooklyn in June, and started getting bit about a week later. I didn't know what they were at first, but it took me 2 weeks to realize. My landlord told me they came in with something I brought, because he had never had bedbugs before. I didn't do my research and just paid for the PCO that my building uses.

Its summer, and I am a teacher, so I have been in and out of my apartment since the beginning of July, but have had the PCO come every two weeks or so to spray. They've sprayed 3 times. I know they are still there, because I see their droppings on my mattress cover and I am bit every time I sleep at home. I really, really hate my apartment and know that I should be staying there, but I am also really sensitive to the bites. At my lowest in July, I had 40 plus huge welts all over my arms, legs, and back.

Anyway, so the PCO is not doing his job and I called my landlord to see what I should do. He said it was probably my fault because I am supposed to take everything to the dry cleaners. I replied that is preposterous and, having done my research now, explained the situation. I have followed the directions of the PCO perfectly. ALSO, when I was leaving my apartment yesterday, a tenant two doors down was getting her apartment sprayed by the same PCO. I overheard a bit of their conversation, and she is getting sprayed for beg bugs.

What do I do now? I feel very hopeless and helpless and just want to move (although I know that's not always the answer). The landlord has no idea what is going on, and continues to blame me for this problem. The PCO does not seem to know what they are doing, and apparently the bugs are spreading. I would like to be able to finally live my life in my apartment and stop tearing my hair out over this. As you know, its really very awful!

So any advice about what I could do next would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

2. DrFrank

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2009 22:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I've read that in NY it's the landlord's responsibility to pay for the treatment.

Sounds like your landlord isn't really interested in addressing the problem, though... What might motivate him? Seeing the place listed at the http://bedbugregistry.com/ ? Having the infestations reported to the Department of Public Health? Signs around the building alerting residents that they should be on the lookout for bed bugs?

3. never_again

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2009 2:56:21
    #

Login to Send PM

sad and scratchy,

Keep doing your research, find out what chemicals your PCO is using and look them up here. Look for a PCO that will do the job right and convince your LL to hire them. Read the FAQ's... there are many things you can do yourself to help prevent spreading BB throughout your apt and to people outside (your friends and family, who if infested could eventually re-infest you as well). I've decided I will have to have a steamer whether i have BB or not,

Sadly and scratchily dealing with BB takes more effort from the tenant than the PCO. I would recommend getting a competent PCO immediately. Call different PCO's and ask about how they treat and then look up the type of treatment here. Your best info is testimonials. Keep in mind you are in NYC and dealing w/ BB here is different, many PCO's do thing's differently, it also depends on the building and the neighbors.

Straightforward answers are hard to find, no one knows your situation better than you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,736 posts in 48,882 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,862 members. Latest: nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver, get_out