(11 posts)
  1. cryingallthetime

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 13:15:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I am so saddened to be writing this right now because I have bed bugs. I have been a member for awhile and just occasionally look through to stay informed and vigilant. I have serious reactions to bed bugs, so when I got large bumps that were like an inch in diameter about a month ago, I knew the culprit before I even found one. I did find a bug a few days later and he was dead in my bed. I went from January 19 until March 15 without having any bumps at all so I thought maybe I just had that one that came from a family member who in the last couple of years had them in KY. At that time, I didn't know what I am about to tell you. However, today, I get home to find that my neighbor who is in the duplex with me has set their mattress out and it has them on there. I am so crushed right now. In a duplex, my neighbor and I have two separate entrances, but it is the same building. I called the landlord and they were so ignorant. They said "well there's a whole wall between you, so I doubt if they can get to you from your neighbor". I spoke to two people and one of them said, "So you think you got bedbugs from your neighbors mattress in their backyard?! " They must not know how relentless these things are. I had a nightmarish experience before. I went more than a year without any furniture in my home, in which I no longer live. I had to get rid of everything in order to just afford treatment. Now I just am absolutely stunned at the fact that I am having to deal with this again. I am a perfect bed bug detector. When I get multiple bumps like that, that are mini golf ball size, before I even see one, it is confirmed in my head. I've had that experience before. I told my landlord, that I am willing to move, like within the next week if there is not a serious plan in place to deal with them. I am so heart broken right now. And many people that don't react like I do, tend to respond to the growing crisis a little slower. Oh and by the way, the tenant next door does not have the same landlord as me. That's right, two separate owners of 1/2 a building. So their cooperation and coordination is necessary. I don't know what I'm going to do. Do you have any suggestions or advice. I was hoping that I'd never have to deal with them again in life. I know that is not realistic though because they are becoming more and more prevalent. I would hate to move, but that's how horrible they are to me and anyone that has to deal with them. Sorry to be so long winded- but I'm am afraid, sad and depressed. What do I do?

Please help. I don't even know how people are expected to work and deal with bed bugs. Sad. Sad. Sad. Terrified and mad that it's me again.

Thanks for any advice you can give. Have a great day.

Patrice

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 13:49:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The best thing you can do is use the resources on the site to put together educational packs for the landlords including the information on bedbugs, bust a few myths and outline their legal obligations in your area.

This way they can rapidly get up to speed and will know what their responsibilities are and what the options are.

You are correct that bedbugs are an increasing problem and that's exactly why , education, communication and planning are your best tools.

At least you are ahead of most in quickly realizing what is actually going on. Once the adjoining infestation starts to be dealt with so long as they don't use total release aerosols, foggers or repelling chemicals you should find that the ingress through to you stops soon.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. cryingallthetime

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 14:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm sure I can come up with an educational packet for my landlord. Hopefully, that will help. I really appreciate you lending your expertise.

I just remember feeling like I couldn't visit anyone and couldn't have anyone over before, and it's how I feel already.

Do you think they harbor in my place or go back next door, once they've fed? Or once their in, their in?

If there is no cooperation with the land lord next door and my neighbors, what do you think will be a best course of action then? There has been a leak in my home that is caused by something going on next door and my landlord has barely spoken to them. The bed bug problem is one of a different nature, with all types of stigmas attached to it, and people are reluctant to even share that they have them or sometimes think all they have to do is get rid of the bed. I'm just concerned that they may not even have told the landlord, or if they did, the landlord didn't contact me or my landlord. That is concerning. I just have to be hopeful that they do get treatment and that I get treatment etc. There are so many variables.

Sad. This is like a worst nightmare.

4. cryingallthetime

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 14:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Just read up on Michigan Law and bedbugs. There is no law on bedbugs here so far. There are bills being considered now, but nothing yet. And they don't seem to be tenant friendly even so.

So that means that if the landlord next door does not want to treat, I am out of luck. It's time to think of moving, which I can't afford right now. But, I can't stay there and not have control over a situation like bed bugs. I have a young son and don't want to see him suffer and don't want to live in isolation again. I'm distraught. And my neighbors are not friendly.

Oh my.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 15:05:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Not necessarily.

There does not need to be a law that forces treatment to still force treatment as a public health issue. You may find that there is still valid legislation that bedbugs come under even if there is not a specific "bedbug law". The classic example of this is the UK 2004 Housing Act and 1990 Environment Act which both have clauses which are used to force treatment when needed and yet neither piece of legislation mentions bedbugs by name.

Yes it may be slower than a dedicated bedbug bill sets out but there will be a mechanism in place.

David

6. cryingallthetime

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 17:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess I just meant that I would need the cooperation of not only my landlord, but the landlord of the other side of my building. I don't even know their state of mind or if their tenants have told them about the situation. And my landlord can't even get cooperation from the other side to determine where a leak is coming from, so it makes me feel pessimistic about the level of cooperation on something many people are reluctant to deal with.

And thanks, I hope both of them (the landlords) determine their responsibility without too much of a fight. Or too long of a fight.

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

7. cryingallthetime

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 17:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, where are the resources in which I might prepare a packet or links for my landlord on the site?

8. cryingallthetime

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 18:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems like so much to coordinate. My landlord is acting like I have spiders. Does anyone have experience with ridding themselves of bedbugs in connected housing situations with separate landlords? Is MI the only place that has that type of situation? We share a wall. Bathroom plumbing and kitchen plumbing are all along the same wall. I can hear them next door. What to do? What to do?

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 22:03:55
    #

Login to Send PM

crying,

The FAQs should be helpful (link at top of page) and I recommend the resources under Comprehensive Guides in the bed bug resources page.

Since these are produced by various organizations, they should carry some weight. In particular, the Michigan Manual (link to PDF) may interest you.

Bed bugs are tricky to eliminate when attached units are owned by different landlords. If I am right in understanding there are only two landlords involved (only two attached apartments), then it might work out. They will not want their properties to become badly infested and lose their value.

If you later decide they simply aren't going to get it together, then the Manual gives suggestions about moving without taking bed bugs. Hopefully it won't come to that, but it may be an option.

Try to be kind to yourself, take extra care of yourself in terms of sleep and self-care. It's a stressful experience, but you can be strong and you can get through this. It sounds like the problem in your unit is at a very early stage, which is good.

"Isolating the bed" isn't recommended by all pest management pros, but since you seem to have a serious reaction, it might be an idea to help you sleep. Here's a FAQ which describes a possible way to stop bed bug bites in bed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. cryingallthetime

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 16 2015 23:23:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for guiding me to the resources. I am really grateful.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2015 0:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome! And try to stay positive. You will get through this one way or another.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox