Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

What do I do? Move or not to move? Much needed advice!! (Sorry long)

(6 posts)
  1. gotbugsintac

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2014 19:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I need some major advice, esp. from the long timers as I really am up in the air of what to do. There is just too much information, what do I do?! It doesn’t help that I am a hypochondriac with horrible anxiety. I mention this so you are aware as some of my statements maybe crazy. Lol! This will be very long; I apologize but want to give as much info. as I can. Note: I have done a few things that I probably shouldn’t have but had not found this site yet. Here we go:
    I moved my stuff into an apt. on 11/11/14 but did not sleep their as the carpets were still wet so my stuff was put in the dining area & kitchen. The next day stuff was moved around and I slept there for the first night (the 12th). That night I saw a weird “tick like” bug on my blanket (didn’t think much of it, (live in WA, this is fairly new to us, I believe; still squished it and put it is a Ziploc though, just cause I didn’t know what it was). I kept seeing one here and there on my blanket at night or in the morning and finally decided to look up “tick looking bug” and bed bugs popped up and for sure that was what it was. I freaked, (this was Sunday the 16th) spent hours online, realized that was what was eating my poor little do alive (I don’t seem to react). I called my landlord and told them, they had the Orkin guy come out the next day for an inspection; he didn’t do much of one as I had given him a baggie of like 7 that I squished in toilet paper and put in a Ziploc in the freezer. He did check my bed and furniture and did not find signs (mostly because my landlord wanted to make sure I didn’t bring them). It doesn’t appear they had time to start camping out in my stuff just yet. I did not sleep there that night (probably wrong thing to do but I was freaked), I took everything that was on the floor, along with my bedding, coat and purse; bagged it and took to my bf’s to dry on high for 30 mins., (another thing I probably shouldn’t have done, bringing the clothes somewhere else) and then tied up tight in new black trash bags. I also froze some stuff for 5 days before reading it was ineffective, so idk about that stuff. This was after I prepped the apt for the PCO who came next day to do the actual exterminating (the 18th). They had me move everything to the middle of the room, and empty my dresser, night stands, etc. I fortunately had not really unpacked except for a few totes, so all those things were already empty. I also vacuumed the perimeter as asked and threw out the bag from the vacuum. I especially needed to vacuum because I had spread DE everywhere in the room, like I said freaked, and they said it would make a cement mixture with his poison. While vacuuming and taking the outlet plates off I found a couple small nests, one in the closet and one in an outlet. The exterminator said I shouldn’t worry too much about my clothes that were hung up in the closet; I told him I did put them on the bed for a couple hours, when I brought them to the apt. on Thursday but he still said I should be fine (is this true?). He also said the stuff in the open totes in the room should be fine also. He explained he would be spraying 2 types of poisons, one residual and one contact. He said the residual should make a kind of death barrier. I do not know where he sprayed either (ie: do they only spray the residual around the base of the walls or do they do furniture too?) I know he did spray my mattress, boxspring, metal bedframe, my couches, recliner bottom (the top was in a closet that I thought was safe), dresser, night stands, and the drawers from all of those except one drawer from my night stand that I forgot something in. He said he sprayed the whole apt. not just the br. He said we would be fine to be there once it dries but that I could not sleep on my bed until it was encased. I had already ordered encasements along with a pretty expensive steamer. I did not sleep there for like 4 days after that, I now know this was wrong but didn’t at the time. The first night I was back (Fri. the 21st) I fell asleep on my recliner in the living room, I know, dumb but knew I was going to be watching tv in it so I did wipe DE along anywhere that would touch the ground and put a sheet over it for some reason. We (the dog and I) have now been sleeping in the bed. Sat. (the 22nd), as I was still freaked, I did a more thorough search and found nests all over the br, looked like they are deep in the carpets and walls; fecal staining all along one wall and half of another. I also checked the parallel corners of the biggest nests and found they had started coming through the walls to that side (which is a corner in the LR).  This is a much larger infestation then initially thought and I called my landlord to tell her such. The carpets (which should have been changed in the first place) need to be taken out and holes/cracks caulked, etc. I noticed the neighbor on my br side is a huge pack rat (her porch is overflowing with all kinds of stuff), and would make a perfect candidate to not notice that she is harboring these pests. Some things that I did before I found this site that I may need to redo or clean-up are: wiped DE around bed frame, frame legs and wheels, put the feet/wheels in paper bowls wiped with DE. Wiped furniture legs with DE (dresser, night stands), put the couches on bed risers but yet to put tape around the risers because I found your site and then got confused as to what I should do, put tape, oil or nothing around things? My bed and all furniture are away from the walls but scared they’ll just crawl up plugs and wires to get on furniture (desk, tv stands, night stand with plugged in phone/tablet). My complex has offered to refund all I have paid and let me move out, which I would love, love to do but am terrified (yes terrified) of taking them with me! I can also stay but am not sure what their plan of attack is, if anything. What can I do, am I stuck in this apt. forever because I don’t want to transfer gross, blood sucking parasites ( I know, I know) with me everywhere I move. Is there anything I can do to make sure I don’t? Do any of the products on bedbugsupply.com work? http://www.bedbugsupply.com/Bed-Bug-Powder-Spray.html
    I thought I could spray the new apt. with the JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs Pro (http://www.bedbugsupply.com/JT-Eaton-Kills-Bed-Bug-Plus-Spray-Aerosol--Newest-Pro-Version-residual-spray-_p_200.html )(possibly too good to be true) and all my stuff with Sterifab (http://www.bedbugsupply.com/Steri-Fab-Bed-Bug-Spray.html ) or Bedlam Plus (http://www.bedbugsupply.com/Bedlam-Plus-Bed-Bug-Insecticide-Spray-Aerosol-residual-spray_p_179.html )or some other contact killer before I move it, I am open to anything. I also have Murphy’s Orange Oil Soap; it is the multi-purpose wood cleaning spray, not sure if that is the correct stuff. Do I pay for an exterminator to spray the new place before I move in? I don’t really have $500+ to fork out for that. I could always return the $300 steamer (http://www.bedbugsupply.com/Vapamore-MR-100-Primo-Dry-Vapor-Steamer-Newest-Model-FREE-2-DAY-EXPRESS-SHIPPING-58-PSI-_p_142.html)? Do I steam everything before I move it? When do you do this? Before you put in the truck? What about the encasements, how do I clean those and make sure they are not on them? And the bedframe? I’ve been sick to my stomach worried about all of this and if I’ve taken them with me to work or friend’s houses. It’s horrible!! This was supposed to be a new beginning for me, first time on my own, not a bug war, that occupies every moment and thought (yeah I think I am going insane!). I really need a plan here, there are just too many variables, I really have no clue what to do! What about things he didn’t spray: coffee table, tv stand, desk, computer chairs, ottoman, pictures on the floor in a closet by the front door, things still in tubs in the dining room? Are these things ok? I wasn’t really around a lot before they exterminated; my couches may have been sat in a total of 30 mins. at most, along with the computer chairs, one maybe sat in for 20 mins or so. What is the probability they are in my furniture, and other stuff. I am also worried about the stuff I dumped onto the ground in my room before I knew; it was very close to a nest. Can I rinse the outside of stuff in hot water? I really didn’t need any of this, going through a break up after 18 years. And just not in the right mind-frame to really handle anything. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Your site is very helpful but a little confusing because it often says to do one thing and then in the same page says not too, so I am finding it hard to figure out what I should be doing to help myself. Like do I get climb ups or don't I? Thank you all!!

2. gotbugsintac

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2014 20:21:29
    #

Login to Send PM

To move or not to move, that is the question....
    My landlord had the PCO call me to answer a few questions and to hopefully put my mind at ease. And he did but some of the things he says don't entirely fit with what I've read here, like he says it is possible to be sharing with the neighbor but probably not as bb usually just want to be by you and are not like cockroaches. They have a few times suggested to the manager to have the other apts. inspected but I don't believe they are going to as they don't really want it to get out. This is a first for all of us involved and they are very embarrassed. The PCO was very confident though about their procedures and said they have not had an infestation they couldn't take care of and mine was definitely not the worst they have seen or treated and have even been called in when other's have failed. The PCO who did the actual treating of my apt. is apparently a manager who likes to do the BB treatments so he can make sure it is done well. (he usually takes around 1.5hrs for a 1br). He also says they usually don't need more then one treatment and use the newest available treatments, but they do come back for inspection in 10 and 45 days. He thinks I should stick it out as my property managers are very willing to work with me and do almost anything possible to get this under control. But I don't believe they will be changing the carpet out or filling cracks. So idk if it will get under control. The PCO had no warranties about this, again he is very confident in their product and procedures. He also said that I could take them with me to another apt. but that it is unlikely because I am in a treated apt. now, also not what I have read on here. He says if I decide to move, I should just watch out and look out for them. Another thing that is different from what is on here is that he believes I can put my stuff away after they've done their next inspection, as long as it is clean. hmmm.... What I don't know is how are they going to know if they are back or not? They did not give me any traps or anything? I really don't know what to do now!! Part of me wants to move but part of me doesn't bc I just did. I don't want to live out of bags or constantly checking everything I own but I also don't want to infest some other place!! I don't know that I'll ever be comfortable in that apt, no one can really give me any guarantees. I feel hopeless in this battle. He did say the residuals stay around for more like 3 months though the manager said one but that is also their guarantee period. Any suggestions? What should my plan of attack be if I move and if I don't? Am I over reacting? He kind of sounded like I was. lol!!! I would love to hear from nobugsonme. Thanks guys!!! I feel for everyone on here!!!

3. gotbugsintac

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 12:39:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Is he just telling me what I want to here? What would others do in my situation, would you move or stay? If I stay, I know they will keep treating if needs be but after a 6 month lease will all my stuff be infested and even harder to get rid of? I don't want to steam now bc of the chemicals. They also keep telling me they don't move around a lot and really aren't trying to get into my stuff, but I am not confident of that. I also moved some things from the room to the living room before I knew, so did I screw myself? I've seen dead ones everywhere but he said that is normal bc they use an "agitator" substance also which makes them a little wacky. I keep readding about the eggs hatching and then they're right back again. Can I get them to just spray again next week anyway with out seeing live ones?

Off topic slightly is there a way to safely transfer my clothes from the black garbage bags to the ziplocs? I feel it would be much easier for getting dressed, I have no clue what is in what bag. lol! Also should and if so, when do, I get a monitor (BB Alert)? Thanks again.

4. gotbugsintac

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 12:56:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Or is the damage already done, like I already have them so I might as well stick with the treatments? My complex has offered to give me a month off my rent and a gift card if I stay. Is the money worth it? I've known so many people who have lived in this same complex and never heard of any problems like this. They are a cheaper place but they seem to try and keep things up as much as possible and take care of complaints quickly as they can just as inexpensively as possible. Being out on my own for the first time, I wanted to try and save money so I can buy my own place soon but now that might be a pipe dream. If I move, I will be paying at least $100/month but can try and get my own w/d in the place, and that would be nice. lol!!

5. gotbugsintac

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 12:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

See all consuming! lol!

6. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 14:15:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but I would say that you should post photos of the 'nests' and other things. Bugs too if you find any. The pros here love pictures. It helps them to answer some of the questions you have asked. I wish you luck. I also moved into the nightmare! I can empathize!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82