(2 posts)
  1. Bman83

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Apr 8 2018 11:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

A few weeks ago I woke up around 2 a.m. with something crawling on my arm. I looked over and saw something with long legs scurrying away in the dark across the bed. Thinking it was probably a spider, I wrapped my hand in the blanket and smashed the creature as hard as I could twice. After that I turned the light on and found it on the floor still alive. To my surprise, it was actually brown with 6 legs and slightly larger than 1/4 of an inch. In a panic, I picked it up with a tissue and flushed it down the toilet without getting that good of a look at it (I should have saved it or taken a pic, but I was half asleep and freaking out). It's been about 3 weeks since then with no bugs crawling on me (that I've noticed), and I've been inspecting my mattress and box spring once a week when changing my sheets with no signs of cast skins, fecal matter, or rust colored stains. I also have had no bites, although I know this is not the best indicator anyway.

Since then I've been paranoid that it was a bed bug, but I wonder about these 2 things:

Size - I would estimate this bug was larger than a ladybug but smaller than an adult stink bug, maybe around .3 or .4 inches. From what I've read, bed bugs are no larger than .25 inches (and most comparison photos I've seen show them as even smaller than that).

Durability - The bug survived being crushed by my fist at full strength twice (and no stains were left on my white sheets), so it certainly wasn't a fed bed bug. I know it would be harder to crush an unfed bed bug, but would they be strong enough to withstand that much force? I'm wondering if it was actually a cockroach, based on what I have heard about their ability to withstand force.

I also live in a first floor apartment with my bedroom window being close to several trees, bushes, and mulch. I guess it's always possible some sort of outdoor bug could have gotten in, too.

I realize I'm not giving much to work with here, but any thoughts?

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Apr 8 2018 17:28:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Too difficult to offer any ID on what it could be.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,944 posts in 45,404 topics over 138 months by 19,949 of 20,709 members. Latest: trailblazer, Bostonbugs1994, jtihonly