Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What causes the skin reactions associated with bedbug bites?

(8 posts)
  1. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 4:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I have always wanted to know what bedbugs possibly inject into the skin while feeding on someone that causes the characteristic red welts to form on most of their victims. Is it some kind of digestive enzymes, bacteria, e.t.c.?

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  2. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 4:55:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Btw, just to clarify things i am well aware that bedbugs don't in fact "bite" but instead pierce the skin. I just use the word bite because the word is so familiar to people when talking about bedbugs.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 7:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In short its more complex than that.

Some of the factors that cause the skin reaction are:

• Bodies response to the physical damage of piercing the skin
    • Immune mediated response to the bedbug or something transferred during the bite
    • Response to the air quality at the time of the bite
    • Response to the air quality after the bite

They do not transfer a digestive fluid as flies do when feeding or bacteria. In essence the bedbug actually wants the host to be as healthy as possible so they continue to be a source of food. Haematophages that harm the host do not get to feed as frequently from the food source and thus its a huge evolutionary disadvantage.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. Canuck

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 8:32:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I was fortunate enough to be in a short conversation about colony feeding techniques with Michael Jiva-Sothy at the recent Bed Bug Summit (Denver 2014). He mentioned the bacteria on the outside of the bug is a large contributing factor and suggested wiping the area with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. It has worked like a charm for myself seriously reducing the inflammation and itching. I imagine it would not be as effective if done hours after a 'bite' has occurred and possibly the alcohol would dry out the skin and exacerbate the reaction. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 13:08:27
    #

Login to Send PM

A bit technical, from paper on sialome (saliva) of bed bug.
    Previous studies with C. lectularius salivary gland homogenates has identified a novel type of secreted apyrase enzyme that hydrolyzed ATP and ADP. This enzyme destroys these nucleotide agonists of platelet and neutrophil aggregation that are released by injured cells. A still molecularly uncharacterized factor X activation inhibitor was also identified, as well as a nitric oxide (NO) carrier, named Cimex nitrophorin, that carries the unstable NO gas molecule to the host tissues, promoting vasodilatation and inhibiting platelet aggregation. Recombinant Cimex nitrophorin was recently identified as an allergen in patients with severe allergy to bed bug bites. There are also unique enzymes and proteins, some of which appear to be antimicrobial, located in the bed bug saliva.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 15 2014 5:12:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Great. Thanks for that info guys. Btw, i read somewhere that an "anesthetic" in bedbug saliva could be the culprit. Has anyone else here heard of that?

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 14:48:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure there really is an anesthetic. If you look at acupuncture needles -- there's no anesthetic used when the needles are pushed into your skin. Maybe it's a similar situation when bed bugs bite? Other insects, too, some may have numbing qualities in the saliva, but not sure if all do.

8. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 19 2014 4:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting, and it brings to mind how the opposite is true in the case of mosquitoes, which at least in my case produce an instant and very noticeable (Like being pricked with a needle) sensation right as they penetrate the skin. A similar sensation with flea bites also.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,442 posts in 46,577 topics over 142 months by 20,543 of 21,407 members. Latest: karthikc, Chick, Jay11690