What brand steamer have you bought?

(7 posts)
  1. IWearTheScarletBB

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 16:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Looking for a steamer...any suggestions? any to stay away from?

2. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 20:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, If you are looking for a steamer for bedbug removal purposes you may need to rent a commercial one,no?I have a steamer(hoover),but assumed it isn't powerful enough to do much good.I know you would want really,really hot water.Personally I don't think you can do that with a Hoover without melting something,but have not tried it.

3. IWearTheScarletBB

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 20:43:36
    #

Login to Send PM

i was thinking more along the lines of a commerical clothes steamer...like this one. then, if we were to ever be lucky enough to get rid of these damned BB, we would have the most wrinkle free clothes in town ...here's to hoping!

i want to use it to steam furniture and stuff like that.

http://www.target.com/Rowenta-Commercial-Garment-Steamer/dp/B000M3G08G/sr=1-9/qid=1198374068/ref=sr_1_9/601-2751979-9065707?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Asteamer&page=1

4. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 22:25:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh,I see. Does that work?Please let me know,I thought the only steaming was for rugs.Any posts on info about it?

5. IWearTheScarletBB

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 23:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't realize that there was a search at the bottom of the forums page...just used it to search for "steamer" and got some good info.

6. pleasehelp

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 23:15:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Sure - as long as you can get the hot steam or hot air on the buggers, you can kill 'em. Steam might not be the best treatment for wood items because it could damage the wood &/or the finish. There are lots of posts on steaming. Best is 'dry' steam, which you can get with the expensive professional models. I wonder how you make 'dry' steam - is it a function of the temperature? I've been trying to figure out what to buy as well. There's such a range of price: from $15 to $1500. I've got a Shark that was marketed as a cleaning tool. I paid about $60 for it and I detest it because it's very wet (spurts water) and every few minutes you have to stop to let the temperature build up again. LtDan has a Shark that he likes... Best to get one that doesn't have excessive pressure because that can blow the bugs & eggs away, possibly before they're cooked. I think the expensive models have variable pressure. BummedInDenver just bought a high end steamer. I'd love to get a recommendation for a dual purpose one as well, IWear... one that will be good for bbs now and also for clothing later. But haven't seen any other posts about that. IWear - please let us know what you decide to buy...

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2007 4:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

There are two steamers recommended by our readers in the useful stuff page. They are in the $400 range so may not be of interest, but are dry steamers which mean you do not cause mold to grow, a real concern with steaming your home with a normal steamer.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur