1. NotFunny

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 22:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Symptoms:
    *I live on a futon.
    *Itchy sensation after 2 min. of getting into the bed.
    *No sign of any bugs after inspection and cleaning.
    *Small little bites which go away after an hour.
    *Sometimes day-time itching maybe cause of my cloths?
    *No itching when I leave the light on at night.
    *I didn't catch any bed bugs/no sign of them there.
    * Bird Mites? There is a bird's nest which is empty on the balcony
    * I think i saw some on my bed : they are black little things.
    What is it?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 0:11:41
    #

Login to Send PM

NotFunny - 2 hours ago  » 

You can't diagnose bed bugs or bird mites based on the bites, what they look or feel like, or when they appear.

Get some clear packing tape and pick some up. There are people you can send or bring a sample to who can ID such things. Private message me if you need someone to do this, and tell me where you are.

Have you ruled out fleas? A plugin flea trap can do this. The bird's nest is certainly suspicious and if you can get a sample, it should be possible to figure out.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. NotFunny

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 5:22:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 5 hours ago  » 

NotFunny - 2 hours ago  » 

You can't diagnose bed bugs or bird mites based on the bites, what they look or feel like, or when they appear.
    Get some clear packing tape and pick some up. There are people you can send or bring a sample to who can ID such things. Private message me if you need someone to do this, and tell me where you are.
    Have you ruled out fleas? A plugin flea trap can do this. The bird's nest is certainly suspicious and if you can get a sample, it should be possible to figure out.

The pest control of my apartment are coming in tomorrow to spray. I have also made two scheduled appointments with two different Pest Control people. It's been a week. I've been itching and I've been getting bites. I'm so paranoid that I wasn't able to sleep at all today. Can bed bugs be black? And these little black bugs aren't as big as apple seeds. I have found random black thin pieces on my bed. I really hope I don't have bed bugs.

How do I inspect my suitcases to see if they are infested? Can I wipe the furniture with clorox wipes?

4. NotFunny

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 5:31:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I'm new to this, I thought I replied but I guess I didn't.

I have the pest control people spray my apartment tomorrow. I also have set up 2 appointments with Terminex and Orkin to come look at my apartment. Can beg bugs be in my cloths?? I also can't sleep at night. I think about them sucking my blood and it drives me insane. Any suggestions on what I should do to go to sleep? Should I get a new futon?

5. Koebner

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 8:14:00
    #

Login to Send PM

NotFunny - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have the pest control people spray my apartment tomorrow. I also have set up 2 appointments with Terminex and Orkin to come look at my apartment. Can beg bugs be in my cloths?? I also can't sleep at night. I think about them sucking my blood and it drives me insane. Any suggestions on what I should do to go to sleep? Should I get a new futon?

I'd be chary of any PC company that's willing to spray your home without a positive ID on what they're spraying for. Especially if you have bird mites - the nest needs to be cleared & the area cleaned before you treat in your home. You also need to take preventive measures so the birds can't come back.

If you can at least postpone the spraying until after Terminx & Orkin have visited, that would probably be better - it allows them a better opportunity to locate & identify exactly what's biting you. Get that plug-in flea trap; if there's no evidence of BBs, you need to rule out fleas. Fleas are easy & cheap to fix.

Yes, bed bugs can be in your clothes in the case of a heavy infestation, but fleas can also live in your fabrics. Try looking for bugs & fleas in your closets, drawers, linen chests, etc; look in seams, turnups, pleats & under lapels check your laundry hamper & anything you use to transport laundry. Check luggage & shoes.

Search carefully; throwing stuff around might spread the trouble; finding exactly where pests are living helps enormously in treating the problem. The FAQs on this site are invaluable in helping you to search systematically & also explain how to deal with textiles if you do have BBs. AFAIK the same laundry protocols would deal with fleas or bird mites. You might want to invest in some soluble laundry bags, if you use shared laundry facilities - trying to keep such locations pest-free helps reduce everyone's chances of infestation/ re-infestation.

For now, it's not a bad idea to assume you have BBs & see the FAQs for advice on how to avoid taking them to other locations - if you don't take them to work/ school or to the homes of friends & family, your chances of re-infestation are greatly reduced.

You could also look at Lou Sorkin's Flickr pics - they show BB traces in places you might not expect to find them, like door hinges & bedroom slippers; http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/

Better to wait to get a new bed until you've cleared the infestation if you do have BBs. If you feel you must dispose of it, seal it securely in heavy-duty plastic before moving it out of your sleeping area so as not to spread any infestation throughout your building. Label it with a BB warning in hopes that no-one picks it up from the kerb.

Sleep - stress & itchyness don't help anyone to sleep. Try to relax. Very easy to for me to say now I'm bug-free, but remember that thousands of people have managed to get rid of bugs. The light issue is irrelevant - BBs prefer the dark but will feed in daylight if they're hungry enough or if their food source in only available in daytime.

If competent PCOs can't find any pests, see a dermatologist. There's a slew of things that could be causing your trouble - including stress itself. People sometimes misunderstand a diagnosis of psychosomatic skin eruptions as an accusation that they're imagining their problem - they're not; the lesions are phsyical evidence that it's a real problem. Just because such conditions can be alleviated by approaches like mindfulness meditation or anxyolitics doesn't mean they aren't real. Even if you do have BBs, mindfulness meditation (the non-religious, psychological technique) can be very helpful in coping with the stress of the situation.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 19:33:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If they were small and black, they do not sound like bed bugs. Fleas fit that description. It could be bird mites, but I do not know a lot about those. The bird's nest on the window sill means that's a distinct possibility from what I understand.

You need to pick up a sample on clear sticky tape and have someone ID it. No one should be treating without definitive evidence.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,803 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen