What are these bugs?

(10 posts)
  1. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 11:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

So I've had paranoia of BBs for years now. Think we encountered them on vacation last year but confident we didn't bring them home ... I've been on here multiple times seeking reassurance. Anyway, fast forward to now. My daughter has been getting little bumps randomly on her face for the past month or so. She's prone to eczema and millia, so I didn't think too much on it. Now my son has also cropped up with a stray bump once or twice over the past couple weeks. And my husband went on an onvernight trip about 2 weeks ago, week later he has two mysterious bites on his fingers, extremely itchy. Yesterday I wake up to a weird bite-like mark on my hand - very small, not itchy, but kind of painful/irritating. I've stripped all the beds, checked every nook and cranny of each bed and come up with zero signs of activity. However, we did have these old sticky traps on my bed posts that are like 2 years old now, stemming from an old BB concern. So I can't say how long these bugs have been there. They kind of look like tiny spiders? I don't have any monitoring system currently in the kids' rooms though. But I'm REALLY freaking out about the bumps/bites. Especially since we've all had at least one. It's too cold for miosquitos, and none resemble mosquito bites. Anyway I know you can't diagnose on bites alone, so I'll just post my pic here for any guidance on what these critters are (sorry for the dust and hair, like I say these have been sitting for a LONG time). TIA!

Bugs on sticky trap by H H, on Flickr

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 11:31:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Those look nothing like bed bugs.
    How did you feel about unexplained bumps back in the '90's? Return to that way of thinking.

3. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 11:35:11
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 minutes ago  » 
    How did you feel about unexplained bumps back in the '90's? Return to that way of thinking.

I know these aren't bed bugs, just wondering what they are since there are so many. Maybe this is another bug that could bite??

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 12:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared88 - 59 minutes ago  » 

I know these aren't bed bugs, just wondering what they are since there are so many. Maybe this is another bug that could bite??

You need to set your camera/phone to highest resolution and largest picture size and take another picture. Can't get a good look at those critters- images breaks up while zooming in.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 13:36:35
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 59 minutes ago  » 

Scared88 - 59 minutes ago  » 

You need to set your camera/phone to highest resolution and largest picture size and take another picture. Can't get a good look at those critters- images breaks up while zooming in.

I've had this problem before - only options I have on my iphone x are High Efficiency (first pic) and Most Compatible (2nd pic below - better?). I can see 8 legs on at least one of them, so I'm thinking spider. Might this kind bite? There's also some teeny tiny little things on the edges which you couldn't see in the pic ... would baby bed bugs be super tiny? But maybe unlikely I caught those and no later stage BBs...

Bugs on sticky trap_2 by H H, on Flickr

6. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 13:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I only have 2 options on my iphone x - High Efficiency (1st pic) and Most Compatible (2nd pic below). I see 8 legs on at least one, so I'm thinking spider. Could this kind bite?

Bugs on sticky trap_2 by H H, on Flickr

7. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 13:38:09
    #

Login to Send PM

There's also some really teeny tiny things caught on the edge of the trap which you can't see on the pic. Are baby BBs super tiny? But maybe unlikely I caught those and no later stage BBs?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 14:00:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbugs.

Appears to be spiders and maybe an ant.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 14:41:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared88 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I only have 2 options on my iphone x - High Efficiency (1st pic) and Most Compatible (2nd pic below). I see 8 legs on at least one, so I'm thinking spider. Could this kind bite?

That's unfortunate-- only 960x1280. Yes, I was hoping to give you more info than just spider. It appears that some of them are adult males, but was trying to get more info from a better image. Don't see any ants. These spiders aren't biting you.

10. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 15:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response. Nice to know that these aren't biting, but on to my continued struggle to find out what is ....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,399 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina