Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What are the odds of having bedbugs back home?

(19 posts)
  1. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 23:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

hi there,
    I stayed in a hotel for 4 nights. When I arrived there, I put my luggage in the bathroom. I always checked the bed for any signs of bedbugs. Nothing anormal was found. I forgot to check for the headboard and the tables, couches by the bed. My luggage stayed on the bathroom floor all the length of my stay. My computer case was on the desk all time. It's just that my work case, I left it on the floor (carpet) one night...it was about 1 meter from the bed. The sheets were white. I haven't seen any bites in all my stay. I have not seen any blood strains on the white sheets either. I always slept at about 1:30am and woke up at 6:30.
    Are my chances of bringing these suckers in my appartment high? I forgot to buy big plastic bags and the store is closed. I inspected my luggage very careful, didn't seen anything moving. I put all my clothes in the dryer high setting for more than 20 minutes. I used the hair dryer for my shoes. I am really afraid of the bedbugs. I never experienced them but I am sooo but soo afraid to be stuck with them.
    Hopefully, you can help me move on for this time and to take the appropriate steps the next time I'm sleeping out of home.
    Thank you

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 9:54:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you check online to find out if the place has had any problems in the past? Read up about fecal staining and check your bed weekly for the next two weeks. Early detection is everything.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 11:45:05
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 1 hour ago  » 
    Did you check online to find out if the place has had any problems in the past? Read up about fecal staining and check your bed weekly for the next two weeks. Early detection is everything.

I did not find anything in the bedbug registry website or online! I did not see any live bug! But I am afraid that they were hiding in the boxspring or/and the headboard! What if I am a person who has no reaction? Maybe they crawled to my work suitcase and layed eggs there or on my pyjamas? Can they hold their defecation until they are back home into the boxspring??

4. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 16:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone??

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 16:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

All bedbugs poop after a feeding. Only adult females can lay eggs. As I said earlier, go online so you can recognize fecal staining. In the remote event that you brought something home, you would be able to recognize the signs. In this day and age, everyone should learn how to inspect a box frame and a mattress.

6. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 17:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 1 hour ago  » 
    All bedbugs poop after a feeding. Only adult females can lay eggs. As I said earlier, go online so you can recognize fecal staining. In the remote event that you brought something home, you would be able to recognize the signs. In this day and age, everyone should learn how to inspect a box frame and a mattress.

It only has been 24 hours since I got home. Would they have found my bed that fast?

7. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 17:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

When the bugs are hungry, they can find people pretty fast.

8. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 18:21:20
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 19 minutes ago  » 
    When the bugs are hungry, they can find people pretty fast.

So technically, what do you recommend me. So far, I did this:

Put the suitcase in a garbage bag outside: temperature is currently -9C
    Put my clothes and slippers in the dryer on highest setting for 20 minutes
    Examined my laptop bag and I didn't find eggs, skins, etc. Also, it was 1 meter from the bed on the desk.
    Examined my work bag that was at the same spot but on the carpet floor laying on the leg of the desk
    I did put some clothes, mainly underwear and t-shirts on the iron board, but it had metal legs.

Thank you

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 21:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If any action needs to be taken, the time for this is really before you unpack your items. There's nothing magical about metal legs on an ironing board that's going to protect you. And we usually recommend 1/2 hour in a hot dryer if items start out fully dry.

That said, the good news is it sounds like you searched the room (perhaps not completely thoroughly, but pretty well) and found no signs. That means the risk is low.

You might want to have a passive bed bug monitor or interceptor bed bug monitors you can check weekly. We have a FAQ on them here:
    http://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/bed-bug-monitors/

I personally treat items in a hot dryer or Packtite when I get home from a trip, because it makes me feel better.

You can put all dry clothing in a hot dryer. Luggage could be treated in a sealed bag (airtight) with DDVP strips, eg Nuvan Prostrips or Hot Shot No Pest Strips (I believe this is available in Canada):

http://bedbugger.com/useful-tools/#ddvp

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2016 1:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 hours ago  » 
    If any action needs to be taken, the time for this is really before you unpack your items. There's nothing magical about metal legs on an ironing board that's going to protect you. And we usually recommend 1/2 hour in a hot dryer if items start out fully dry.
    That said, the good news is it sounds like you searched the room (perhaps not completely thoroughly, but pretty well) and found no signs. That means the risk is low.
    You might want to have a passive bed bug monitor or interceptor bed bug monitors you can check weekly. We have a FAQ on them here:
    I personally treat items in a hot dryer or Packtite when I get home from a trip, because it makes me feel better.
    You can put all dry clothing in a hot dryer. Luggage could be treated in a sealed bag (airtight) with DDVP strips, eg Nuvan Prostrips or Hot Shot No Pest Strips (I believe this is available in Canada):

Nobugsonme,

You told me that you think my mesures were adequate bit im really afraid that a bug laid eggs on my work bag... It had the zipper opened! Also i put some clothes on the iron metal legs iron board! I thought bedbugs couldn\'t walk or climb on metal. I find myself stupid to not have watched the headboard and the boxspring! I remember i let my pants 20 minutes on the bed one morning because I was in the shower! I also put back my pijay in the suitcase on the bathroom floor! I never zipped the suitcase there! Am I paranoid?? I am torturing myself right now at work... All i want it to look online for statistics and probabilities! you know how they act, so you think that i have more chance to be ok than to be infested? How likely will a bedbug walk across 1 meter from the bed to enter the bag on the floor?? What if my skin doesnt react to bedbugs?? This complicate things a lot!! I wont know if I\'ve been eaten!!
    What do you recommend me to do? I put all my clothes in the dryer at high settings for 20 minutes! Since you said it needs to be 30, do I have to redo it? they are resting in plastic bags! I put my nylon slippers there too! All I cant wash is the work bag and the suitcase? They passed the night in the appt, on the ceramic floor and I put them in the car trunk this morning! It\'s -11C here but not cold enough to kill the eggs! Now, they are sitting in a garbage bag on the balcony. Current temp is -4C.

I'm traveling again next tuesday....

Do you have any other tips for me? Should I put some baby powder or DE on every legs of the bed (metal frame with metal wheels)?? Unfortunately, cimexa is not available in Canada

I am an anxious person and reading this forum is giving me more anxiety than peace unfortunately. I seem to think if you get bedbugs, there is nothing you can do to eradicate them. It will be very complex. Also, my wife is not really someone who follows rules, she is a free spirit and she sees prevention and control as like something that feds her up. So imagine if bedbugs come in and I tell her she has to put this in that bag, throw it away, take a new bag for clean clothes etc. don\'t let the sheets touch the floor etc etc.

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it! I hope to be able to calm down!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2016 11:58:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsafraider - 10 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme,
    You told me that you think my mesures were adequate bit im really afraid that a bug laid eggs on my work bag... It had the zipper opened!

And I said if you're worried about this, then treating luggage with DDVP strips is an option.

Also i put some clothes on the iron metal legs iron board! I thought bedbugs couldn\'t walk or climb on metal.

That's not true, but the more important point is, there's no reason to assume there are any bed bugs in your case.

I find myself stupid to not have watched the headboard and the boxspring!

I search every hotel room I go into and I never do it perfectly. (I removed a headboard once and couldn't reattach it. So now I don't even try to remove them.) Try to not get hung up about it.

I remember i let my pants 20 minutes on the bed one morning because I was in the shower! I also put back my pijay in the suitcase on the bathroom floor!

Okay, so let it go and next time you can do things differently.

I never zipped the suitcase there! Am I paranoid?? I am torturing myself right now at work... All i want it to look online for statistics and probabilities! you know how they act, so you think that i have more chance to be ok than to be infested? How likely will a bedbug walk across 1 meter from the bed to enter the bag on the floor?? What if my skin doesnt react to bedbugs?? This complicate things a lot!! I wont know if I\'ve been eaten!!

You need to relax. Every hotel room doesn't have bed bugs. If yours had any, it was probably a small problem, which makes the likelihood of bringing them home slimmer.

I suggested bed bug monitors because now you've unpacked, this gives you a better chance to find them if there is anything. However, this does not mean I think you have them.

What do you recommend me to do? I put all my clothes in the dryer at high settings for 20 minutes! Since you said it needs to be 30, do I have to redo it? they are resting in plastic bags! I put my nylon slippers there too! All I cant wash is the work bag and the suitcase? They passed the night in the appt, on the ceramic floor and I put them in the car trunk this morning! It\'s -11C here but not cold enough to kill the eggs! Now, they are sitting in a garbage bag on the balcony. Current temp is -4C.

I already commented on the luggage issue in my prior post and above.

It's a judgment call. You're freaking out and this makes judgment a bit hard. IF any bed bugs or eggs were present, they could have been killed. If it makes you feel better, you can do it longer. I personally would not redo the laundry.

Do you have any other tips for me? Should I put some baby powder or DE on every legs of the bed (metal frame with metal wheels)?? Unfortunately, cimexa is not available in Canada

Please see our FAQs on travel for tips for your next trip.

I think you mean the DE at home? Baby powder isn't going to do anything. But I wouldn't put DE around the bed legs either. Use per the label instructions if at all. (We have a FAQ on that also.)

I am an anxious person and reading this forum is giving me more anxiety than peace unfortunately. I seem to think if you get bedbugs, there is nothing you can do to eradicate them. It will be very complex. Also, my wife is not really someone who follows rules, she is a free spirit and she sees prevention and control as like something that feds her up. So imagine if bedbugs come in and I tell her she has to put this in that bag, throw it away, take a new bag for clean clothes etc. don\'t let the sheets touch the floor etc etc.

If reading the forums is stressing you out, stop reading!

Keep in mind very few people have an ongoing problem they can't eradicate, and those who do are generally dealing with an untreated neighbor or other ongoing source that needs addressing.

If you ever get bed bugs, you will deal with it. Just like you and your wife will deal with other troubles. You may forget but there must be times you each had to learn and grow in response to some new situation.

Worrying about maybes that might happen is not helpful.

It sounds like the bed bug possibility may not be the only thing you get anxious about--perhaps it's just the latest. If that's true, and it seems to be for people who are anxious, please consider seeking professional help. Anxiety is treatable and many here have found it helpful. It can help you deal with any problems better if they do arise, and avoid worrying about those which haven't.

12. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2016 13:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago  » 

bedbugsafraider - 10 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme,
    You told me that you think my mesures were adequate bit im really afraid that a bug laid eggs on my work bag... It had the zipper opened!

And I said if you're worried about this, then treating luggage with DDVP strips is an option.

Also i put some clothes on the iron metal legs iron board! I thought bedbugs couldn\'t walk or climb on metal.

That's not true, but the more important point is, there's no reason to assume there are any bed bugs in your case.

I find myself stupid to not have watched the headboard and the boxspring!

I search every hotel room I go into and I never do it perfectly. (I removed a headboard once and couldn't reattach it. So now I don't even try to remove them.) Try to not get hung up about it.

I remember i let my pants 20 minutes on the bed one morning because I was in the shower! I also put back my pijay in the suitcase on the bathroom floor!

Okay, so let it go and next time you can do things differently.

I never zipped the suitcase there! Am I paranoid?? I am torturing myself right now at work... All i want it to look online for statistics and probabilities! you know how they act, so you think that i have more chance to be ok than to be infested? How likely will a bedbug walk across 1 meter from the bed to enter the bag on the floor?? What if my skin doesnt react to bedbugs?? This complicate things a lot!! I wont know if I\'ve been eaten!!

You need to relax. Every hotel room doesn't have bed bugs. If yours had any, it was probably a small problem, which makes the likelihood of bringing them home slimmer.
    I suggested bed bug monitors because now you've unpacked, this gives you a better chance to find them if there is anything. However, this does not mean I think you have them.

I already commented on the luggage issue in my prior post and above.
    It's a judgment call. You're freaking out and this makes judgment a bit hard. IF any bed bugs or eggs were present, they could have been killed. If it makes you feel better, you can do it longer. I personally would not redo the laundry.

Please see our FAQs on travel for tips for your next trip.
    I think you mean the DE at home? Baby powder isn't going to do anything. But I wouldn't put DE around the bed legs either. Use per the label instructions if at all. (We have a FAQ on that also.)

If reading the forums is stressing you out, stop reading!
    Keep in mind very few people have an ongoing problem they can't eradicate, and those who do are generally dealing with an untreated neighbor or other ongoing source that needs addressing.
    If you ever get bed bugs, you will deal with it. Just like you and your wife will deal with other troubles. You may forget but there must be times you each had to learn and grow in response to some new situation.
    Worrying about maybes that might happen is not helpful.
    It sounds like the bed bug possibility may not be the only thing you get anxious about--perhaps it's just the latest. If that's true, and it seems to be for people who are anxious, please consider seeking professional help. Anxiety is treatable and many here have found it helpful. It can help you deal with any problems better if they do arise, and avoid worrying about those which haven't.

Thank you very much for your reply.
    Personally, would you buy monitors or you would call it a day and move on?

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2016 16:35:02
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsafraider - 2 hours ago  » 

Since there's a small chance you were or will be exposed to bed bugs, it's not a bad idea to have monitors and check them once a week, as long as that's not going to add to your anxiety. (From a logical standpoint, it should make you less anxious, since IF you ever do get bed bugs, catching the problem early means it's less difficult to deal with.)

Learning the signs of bed bugs (fecal stains and bed bugs in particular) by looking at photos may also help you feel more confident and empowered, if you can get beyond the anxiety to do so.

For some people, looking at photos and checking monitors are themselves a cause for anxiety (because anxiety often defies logic). But if you can do those things, ultimately you will be more in control of the situation. It may help to remind yourself that you have not yet seen any evidence of bed bugs either in the hotel or at home.

I hope that helps!

14. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2016 18:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago  » 

bedbugsafraider - 2 hours ago  » 

Since there's a small chance you were or will be exposed to bed bugs, it's not a bad idea to have monitors and check them once a week, as long as that's not going to add to your anxiety. (From a logical standpoint, it should make you less anxious, since IF you ever do get bed bugs, catching the problem early means it's less difficult to deal with.)
    Learning the signs of bed bugs (fecal stains and bed bugs in particular) by looking at photos may also help you feel more confident and empowered, if you can get beyond the anxiety to do so.
    For some people, looking at photos and checking monitors are themselves a cause for anxiety (because anxiety often defies logic). But if you can do those things, ultimately you will be more in control of the situation. It may help to remind yourself that you have not yet seen any evidence of bed bugs either in the hotel or at home.
    I hope that helps!

thank you! I think I will diy monitors tommorow.

Also, I live in a small 2 bedroom appartment. One is used for the office and the bigger one is the bedroom. There is a bathroom where the washer/dryer combo is. There is also an open space for the kitchen/living room and a small closet in the hallway to the 2 bedrooms.

If I brought bedbugs inside my home or their eggs from the hotel, how long will it take before I can see there are no problems. After 2 nights, there is nothing (feces etc.) on my bed and boxspring.

Thank you very much.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 21 2016 0:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure I can answer that.

Bed bugs defecate nearby every time they feed. That said, it can take time for you to find fecal stains.

How long, I suspect, would depend on your skills and knowledge and maybe on the home, how things are set up and how much clutter there is.

Someone experienced may have an easier time finding visual evidence, but two days is likely too soon even for them to do that with guaranteed success.

16. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 24 2016 14:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 days ago  » 
    Not sure I can answer that.
    Bed bugs defecate nearby every time they feed. That said, it can take time for you to find fecal stains.
    How long, I suspect, would depend on your skills and knowledge and maybe on the home, how things are set up and how much clutter there is.
    Someone experienced may have an easier time finding visual evidence, but two days is likely too soon even for them to do that with guaranteed success.

Hello there, it's been 7 nights since I came home and I haven't been bitten. I check my mattress and boxspring every 2 days and no feces are found, no old skins, no eggs nothing. I also installed, about 3 nights ago, some homemade passive interceptors. Those are the one I did:

Homemade interceptors

Nothing can be found in these too. I just ordered some passive monitors from the internet...the ones with the cardbox. My bed is not pushed to the wall and my night tables, all made in old wood, have nothing, even in crevices and stuff. I haven't put all my clothing in the dryer for 30 minutes. Just the clothes that I brought from the hotel. I still wonder if I can freely go to my friend's place etc?

Knowing the low risk I had, would this be suffice for you guys to stop worrying? I am asking this because I suffer from anxiety and OCD and I don't know where my limit is.

Thank you very much!

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 1:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I would keep checking monitors once a week and beyond that, I would not worry. There's no evidence the hotel had bed bugs and no particular reason to think you brought them home.

18. bedbugsafraider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 11:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 8 hours ago  » 
    I would keep checking monitors once a week and beyond that, I would not worry. There's no evidence the hotel had bed bugs and no particular reason to think you brought them home.

Do my monitors look Ok or should I get commercialized ones?

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 20:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know what plans you followed in creating your monitors and I am not in a position to say if they will work. I am not an expert anyway.

A lot of people here have used commercial pitfall traps (Climbup Interceptors) and passive monitors (Packtite Passive, BBAlert Passive) and seem happy.

Experts here also recommend various homemade monitors. You can search for posts about those from Lou Sorkin and P Bello.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88