What are the chances of bedbugs?

(3 posts)
  1. selectordetector

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 23:04:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Six to seven months ago, I visited my parents (no bites), travelled for 10-11 (no bites), and visited parents again and started getting bites. I went back home and continued to get bites, mostly when I woke up but in some cases they seemed to show up during the day. At one point I moved a cushion on the floor in my bedroom, and a potential bb nymph ran away, but I couldn't catch it or confirm.

Within 10 days of arriving back home, an Orkin PCO came. He had a look, couldn't find anything, and sprayed the baseboards with liquid residual. My bed, mattress, furniture, and building are designed to make it hard for bedbugs to hide (school dorm).

I got lights out interceptors, left them there for about a month: no bedbugs. Then I tried switching to David Cain's passive monitors. Haven't noticed anything, although initially I put them in a non-ideal location. I then tried the interceptors again after a few months: nothing, still got bitten at least once despite isolating the bed and the fact that the bed and mattress are designed not to harbor them. I also got white sheets and saw no fecal stains on them.

Five months in or so, I put David Cain's passive monitor in the right place and removed the lights out interceptors, and the landlord called the PCO again. This time, he applied liquid residual both to the baseboards and bed frame, but again found no evidence. Recently, I visited somewhere else, washed my clothes and a bag I was traveling with in hot water and put them in the dryer after, and the remaining stuff I brought from my office and I checked it carefully. I got one bite while traveling for three weeks. I've been back for almost a week, and got 2-3 bites.

I'm getting 0-5 bites per week that I can identify on average: it doesn't seem to have increased in 6-7 months. My roommate doesn't report having any bites or seeing any bugs, and I haven't heard of my neighbors getting bitten (school would probably say something). My parents don't report having bites, and the first place I traveled to where lots of people stay and where I suspected I might've gotten it (was a religious center and I believe them more than a standard hotel) told me they haven't found anything.

Could this be bed bugs, or is it likely something else? I've seen a whole bunch of carpet beetles, but no bed bugs (other than one potential one at the very beginning that I couldn't catch) and no evidence of them.

tldr: 1-5 bites/week for 6-7 months, no evidence of bed bugs incl. in interceptor, passive monitor, two PCO visits (no dog), white sheets, and others who might've gotten bitten

2. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 5:56:02
    #

Login to Send PM

The low number of bites over such a long period of time is not indicative of bbs. You may be gettinh stings from the carpet beetle larva, or it could be something else. Bites with no other evidence usually points to something else.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  3. selectordetector

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 20:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks? Some friends want to visit. Should I tell them about the issue? I haven't found any evidence, and neither has the PCO, despite two types of detectors. Two doctors said it's probably hives.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,255 posts in 50,151 topics over 155 months by 21,922 of 22,418 members. Latest: Ldrago, frustrated1970, duracell