What are the best chemical treatments for bed bugs? [Onslought? Temprid?]

(5 posts)
  1. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 25 2017 21:07:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi- I'm curious as to what is considered the best chemical treatment for bed bugs? I've had 3 treatments, and my PCO has used something called Onslaught. Over the past week or so I have been using Cimexa as well.

We had what I (and my PCO) believe is a very light infestation that we caught very early. We've only ever seen 1 adult, and 2 1st instars. We thought it was taken care of in April after the 2nd treatment, but I started getting bit again and found minuscule holes in my box Spring encasement. Have not found any bugs or any new fecal stains or anything, but we had a 3rd treatment, and a few days ago had a dog come out who checked our whole house and only alerted at our bed. We've since gotten rid of the entire bed/mattress/box springs, and we are sleeping on an air mattress. The dog is coming back in 2 weeks to reinspect, and if we still have a problem my PCO will come out again.

The dog handler had mentioned something called Temprid that PCOs use now, and also mentioned that there's a ready to use spray that I could buy myself. My PCO said he does use different chemicals sometimes including Temprid if the initial ones don't seem to be working. Just curious as to how effective Onslaught is, and what the other options are. Thanks!

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 26 2017 8:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Heard of onslaught but don't know specifics on it. Temprid is a very popular one but bed bugs are even becomin resistant to it. That's why pcos often use 2 different chemicals at different treatment times, it helps battle resistance. Phantom is another good chemical that some good pcos use as well. If you can afford it, I'd buy a high temp dry vapor steamer, then, as long as his residuals are no longer active, steam like crazy right before his next treatment. Have him treat, then do your cimexa. I'd talk with your pco if you do plan on doing it so you are all on the same page.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 26 2017 8:58:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Cleaning before a PCO arrives could actually be detrimental to the treatment.
    It's best to leave things as they are so that the PCO can see exactly what's going on and treat accordingly.

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 26 2017 9:37:55
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Cleaning before a PCO arrives could actually be detrimental to the treatment.
    It's best to leave things as they are so that the PCO can see exactly what's going on and treat accordingly.

I understand what your saying and agree to a point. But if a pco isn't using steam, than I would undoubtedly supplement his treatment with it if I had the means too. But I would undoubtedly discuss it with the pco no doubt so we were on the same page like I said in this post.

In this case the pco pretty much knows what's going on for the most part. I agree messing with stuff before a pco comes won't help, but people reading this post may take it that steaming to supplement a pcos treatments is a bad idea... which I don't agree with, as long as the pco is aware and on the same page as you.

5. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 26 2017 9:39:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Onslaught is a pyrethroid, bed bugs have been developing resistance to pyrethroids. The most effective chemicals against bed bugs are now the mix of a pyrethroid and a neonicotinoids, so Temprid or Transport GHP. There's a new one called Crossfire that is getting good reviews, but hasn't been the subject of field tests that I have found. Alternating between those products and Phantom which is a different type of product can be good for avoiding resistance issues. But the Cimexa will be a really big help, from what I heard.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714