Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

What are my chances of success? Here's what I've done so far.

(3 posts)
  1. Blitzen

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 20 2016 2:52:38
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been a hot minute since I last posted. My first post was in the introductions section doing just that, introducing my situation. That was at the start of June. I was terrified, overwhelmed, and much more emotionally charged over the situation then as opposed to now. Since then ALL of my belongings are in hefty bins sealed with gorilla tape in Public Storage for the next 18 months. I have been to the laundromat and dried all my clothes, linens, towels, stuffed animals, etc. I have dropped delicate, sequined, leather, etc items off at the dry cleaners to handle. I spray just about anything and everything in rubbing alcohol. My mattress, box spring, and a big comfy chair I had have been tossed. I kept my headboard because it was not on my bed at the time of sighting and I kept my frame because it is metal. I've been sleeping on a raised air mattress since then with no sheets or anything on it. I have a studio apartment so the furniture that remains is empty and are things like my dresser, nightstand, and desk.

I had my first chemical treatment was about two weeks ago. Saw many dead bodies afterwards and have seen the numbers of live ones go down dramatically. It's been several days since I've seen any. I'm not allergic to their bites, so I'm one of those people who you'd never know is even being bit. I've never seen a bite mark on me or had a single itch, even when their numbers were at their highest pre first treatment. My second treatment is coming up on Wednesday. My landlord will be removing my carpeting and I will be going over floor samples soon to choose wood laminate floor as my replacement. My landlord is also really stepping up his game lately and also scheduled me for a roach spray for next month. I have not seen any roaches (thank god!), but since he offered since they are spraying other apartments as well, and given my current situation, I took it. I think a lot of people are opening their mouths complaining about issues, so I think my landlord is finally taking actions that should've been taken a long time ago. My parakeets have been boarded at the vet since the start of the first treatment and will continue to stay there until probably at least a week after the final treatment. I realize that will cost me a lot of cha-ching, but they are priceless and I refuse to let any chemicals harm them.

I live in Los Angeles and today temperatures reached over 100 degrees, they will be the same tomorrow, if not even a little toastier. Both today and tomorrow I plan on being out all day with the windows and doors closed with no AC on. I know doing that is not the most effective way to kill bed bugs because they could go find cool pockets to hide in or possibly travel to another poor unsuspecting tenant's home (one of the reasons I worry about my bed bug issue never going away living in an apartment). But I was curious if the combined efforts of this convenient heat wave, my chemical treatments, and the usual laundering, etc I mentioned is a recipe for success to beat my teeny tiny vampire nemesis? I know there's no 100% guarantee regardless, but I wanted to check in to see if I'm on the right path and if my prognosis could be on the bright side? Thoughts?

2. Blitzen

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 20 2016 3:26:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Also worth mentioning, all of my laundered items are now in sealed ziplock, also in storage not in my apartment. I carry around one large ziplock bag back and forth everyday to transport my daily outfit from storage to home. I also carry my keys, debit card, license, phone, etc in a smaller ziplock bag. This is basically my new purse as humiliating as carrying that around in public is, or as I like to call it my "ghetto purse." So with everything I'm really trying to nail things down to the smallest detail.

3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 20 2016 14:57:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi you seem to have the situation under control. I personally would not carry my personal stuff in a transparent bag but then I am always worried about having my bag stolen. Wishing you speedy bug free days.
    Just a thought as you do not react to bites, then perhaps it might be a good idea to invest in some passive traps that you can check every week. Whilst they do not catch everything, they will eventually alert you should the BBs appear again

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,339 posts in 46,777 topics over 142 months by 20,640 of 21,523 members. Latest: Anon_StillTheyCome, Anna_nobugs, Katie10m10