(11 posts)
  1. Ruby

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 25 2010 22:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

So, I'm about to move. My current place has a confirmed mild infestation. Homeowner won't deal with the problem properly, so I'm moving out. I don't want anything to follow, though. I can treat just about everything I own with the Packtite, but there are a few items that won't fit in the Packtite or probably shouldn't be cooked in a Packtite, and I'm not sure the best way to treat them.

They include:
    1 large suitcase
    1 *very* large suitcase
    laptop computer
    printer-scanner
    my car (just in case)
    the actual Packtite (it is made of fabric, so couldn't bugs hide on it?)

What's a girl to do? Are Bedlam or Phantom options? I don't have a steam cleaner or much money for that matter. My area of upstate New York is pretty deficient when it comes to knowledge of treating BBs.

Suggestions? Please? I have no furniture, so that's a bit of a relief.
    Ruby

2. aaghbugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 25 2010 22:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have access to a sauna? If you could get the luggage in there...

3. Ruby

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 11:30:00
    #

Login to Send PM

No access to a sauna, unfortunately. Would that even work?

Come on, someone has to know something. All of you self-treaters and extra-cautious travelers, PLEASE help me. Anything. I don't know where to begin with big pieces of luggage. What do/did you use?

Thanks,
    Ruby

4. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 12:02:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I am fairly new to this, so I am only answering you as you seem to really be in a rush and don't have many responses so far - maybe someone else will have better or more effective ideas.

I think I am going to thow my luggage out, but if I had to keep it I would probably spray it with Kleen Green or Bedbug Terminator (in Canada - can get on licesquad.com), let dry, and then store in double or triple plastic bags (clear lawn and garden bags)- if don't need to use it for a long time. I have seen other people mention products like Steri-fab and other similar products on the forum - looked it up and prefer not to use it myself due to contents (more toxic), but just to mention it as well. I don't know if Kleen Green or Bedbug Terminator works, but they are supposed to. I don't think they kill eggs though -not sure. Maybe could open the bags outside and retreat the luggage in a few weeks after any eggs would have hatched?

If you could borrow a steamer, I think that would be the best thing.

I don't know what to do re electronics.

Your whole move will be for naught if bring bb's with you, so wouldn't take any chances........

5. soon2bbugfree

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 12:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

if you can do without the luggage, maybe toss it. i also had a mild infestation and i've had 2 pco treatments so far. the exterminator sprayed my luggage down with industrial strength insecticide and left them out with the other non-washable articles he treated. btw, he didn't treat my electronics. i guess bb's rarely hide in electronics but you never know...

i would go w/ one of the other posters, steam and then bag your luggage. oh yeah, you could try 91% alcohol too. i sprayed my bags and shoes down with alcohol and bagged them. i take them out on an as-needed basis. actually, i would go w/ alcohol b/c you don't know if the steamer will get hot enough to kill the bugs and if it does, the bb's may simply run away to a cooler area.

good luck!

6. scaredsilly

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I just bagged my suspicious suitcase with the Hot Shot pest strips. I had previously sprayed it with Bedlam but was nervous still. I will leave it bagged for about 4 weeks or more if I don't need to use it.

7. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 14:32:48
    #

Login to Send PM

There really isn't a good way to reliably debug the laptop and the printer. I know this doesn't help, but that's why the push is not to move until the bugs are eliminated. (i do realize that in your situation, that's not possible.)

Treating a moving truck with Vikane between apartments is also an option, but it's likely more expensive than you're looking for--esp. for a handful of items.

However, chances of the bugs having infested the electronics and the car are slim, statistically speaking.

For the luggage, you have a few options as the real danger are eggs. You can use a contact killer like 91% isopropyl alcohol (be careful, as it's flammable; but used away from flame, it will kill bugs on contact.) However, that will only kill live bugs. Eggs are hard to kill, no matter what, and the time it takes eggs to hatch varies widely based on ambient temperature.

You could try spraying the luggage with alcohol and then sealing them up in an airtight way for 18 months. The problem, of course, is that making anything that large air tight is tough, and if you're planning to use them in the process of moving, that's less likely to work.

As for the Packtite, don't overlook the usefulness of inspection. If you're inspecting a limited area or a limited number of items (like one Packtite), and you inspect under good light, and you don't have any visual disabilities, and you know what you're looking for, inspection is a really important tool. I think we often overlook inspection these days. While it's not useful for dealing with a whole apartment's worth of stuff, inspecting the outside of a Packtite is a reasonable method for dealing with that one item.

8. scaredsilly

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 14:42:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I think the maker of the Packtight said you can put outer cover into the dryer (I saw this on a previous post a few weeks/months back). I would find out about that option as well as inspecting as buggyinsocal stated.

9. adapa

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:27:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think this'll work for the OP'er but I was thinking of putting my luggage into my freezer for a couple 3 weeks.
    I'm scheduled to stay at a mid town Manhattan hotel in OCT. And yes, I am freaking freely.

10. Ruby

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 18:14:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your responses, everyone

I've determined that the best way to treat larger suitcases and electronics is by using a Hot Shot pest strips. I'm going to place these items and a pest strip inside an air tight plastic bag and leave for a few weeks in the garage or basement.

I was hoping to use Nuvan strips since they come in smaller (less toxic) sizes. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Nuvan strips are available in New York State. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but that's what I keep seeing.

My concern now is how to safely air out the suitcases and electronics after removing the strips. Obviously, I don't want to let them air out inside the place I'm staying for fear that the cleared items will be re-infested. What a pain in the neck. I also don't want to release toxic fumes into the home.

I'm open to anyone's safety precautions. Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ruby

11. lostandconfused

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 8:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,
    I kept my suitcases outside in the cold for a week, took them out and poured boiling water all over them. Now they are back outside until I move!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14