Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

what about spreading to the car ?

(11 posts)
  1. buggyinastoria

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 12:27:31
    #

Login to Send PM

just wondering what experiences people have with spreading them to the car, checking to see if they are in the car, and getting rid of them ?
    Since we found out we have them in the house, weve tried not to spend much time there.
    We have 2 cars...
    What should our plan be ?

2. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 13:12:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes can spread to car or the car could of been the initial point.

3. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 13:49:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugg. We have had a terrible time with the car. Especially w the car seats. I had a pco treat with sterifab and am now baking the car in the sun. One of my kids was bitten in her car seat! Any other suggestions would be grealy appreciated. I would stick to one car.

4. PaveIt

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 1:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm considering using bug bombs to clear my car ( a PCO told me this would work ). He said to park in the middle of nowhere, put down some plain de around the car, wind up windows, set off 2 bug bombs inside that contain pyrethrins, and wait 2 days.
    Use of bombs to treat mattresses is mentioned in Dan415's The Art of War - http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bugs-the-art-of-war
    Safety note: Dan415 posts that some bombs release butane.

I'm not sure that the chemicals will penetrate into the ( cloth & foam ) seats. I suppose if it works for a mattress it should work for car seats ( Dan415 says to leave the mattress for 10 days, though ). And I'm not sure which kind of bombs would be best for this. I have no idea how bad the interior will stink after this ( if it works, I don't care ).

Aside from the seats, I reckon baking in the sun will be effective in most places ( You want still air, clear sky, outside temp >85F. The sun will raise the air temp 30 - 40F inside. It might be good to help the sun with engine heat, electric space heaters. I guess any heat sources must be > 120F or else you risk cooling surfaces below the bb frying temp of 113F.

Steam. Will it penetrate enough to kill them in the seats? I have a civic and the back seats have some large pieces of foam, and they are not exposed to air at the back. I have never seen an industrial steam cleaner in action, but I doubt that they could penetrate far enough.

Thanks for any advice!

5. TomIsBugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 2:41:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Howdy doodles folks, I may need to change my handle to 'TomWASbugged'.. Yeppers, I successfully withdrew my tattered forces from Saigon without (bang on wood w/forehead) taking along any Talibugs. Sure it's a mixed metaphor, but gimme a break - I done did been through a lot.

& Hi Pavelt - I think I just sent you a PM describing how I handled my own car, but thought I'd reply to this as well seeing as you mentioned the word 'bomb.' As far as I've read, bombs are bad news. Sure, the bombs might kill 95% of them - who knows. But the real problem is the remaining 5% Rambo toxin-loving megabugs that will have burrowed further into your upholstery, and are now pissed off to boot. Also, I understand that we're neighbours eh? I don't need to tell you that the last time this part of the world got anywhere near bug-killing temperatures for long enough for every knook & cranny of your average vee-hicle to reach the thermo-kill temp&time, well, that was shortly after the Earth cooled.

The way I'd handle it for the time being, if you're not quite sure the cars are infested or not, would be to treat your cars like two seperate houses. That is, have 'car shoes/clothes' that only see the inside of your car an nowhere else. Similarly, make sure that your 'house shoes/clothes' aren't exposed to the inside of your cars. This involves some logistics, I realize - less so if you happen to have a garage. You could mitigate public nudity concerns, though, by toggling between 3 independent sets of shoes/clothes kept in air-tight bags then treating your house, car, and destination as separate 'quarantine zones' where you sanitize yourself & change clothes between each. Come to think of it, that's a logistical nightmare too.

Another paranoid idea may be to have a bug-proof body suit (akin to the ones that the PCOs use, but that also covers your shoes... Think radiation suits) that you wear while in your car. Logistically this would be a bit simpler, but you'll likely feel a little odd when you shed said suit & put it in a sealed bag before going into 7-11 then have the amused clerk watch as you re-dawn the suit before getting into your car again. If you're work has lots of upholstered furniture and you think there's a reasonable chance that your car might be infested, though, this may be something to consider. You could always park underground & change where nobody's looking.

Anyhow, that was incredibly long and possibly not very helpful. The take-home message, though, is just to be mindful that it's the little details that mitigate your chances of exposure and transmission. In my own case (and this was probably way way waaay overboard), I adopted the mindset that I was dealing with radiation exposure & tried to take precautions to that standard. And yes, I did go nuts. Hammmmajamajamadoo. There y'go... I'm still nuts.

6. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 3:35:39
    #

Login to Send PM

(This is off-topic, but...)

So Tom, you're clean & sober! How'd you do this again? Got rid of some stuff, moved and entrusted the rest of your things in the good care of John Carpenter and Kurt Russell (didn't work for The Thing, but bedbugs are only just slightly more vulnerable)?

As you have lived in two different places with bugs, what is the new place like, um I mean, how did you pick it? Details please.

7. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 3:48:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hurray for Tom! Welcome home from the front:)

8. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 11:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

There was an additional discussion about treatments other than chemical for cars here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/leaving-car-in-hot-sun-for-48-hours

People talk about Vikane and ask about thermal and I floated my totally insane idea pilfered from Car Talk.

9. lost

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 12:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I am brand new to all of this, but would it be possible to spray your car daily with something like Sterifab or Bedlam?

10. TomIsBugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 4:11:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Itchy & Fight - thanks! I'll post the gory details of the big move in another post. Nice to see y'all again, under better circumstances too

11. PaveIt

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 7:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,
    buggyinsocal, good idea. If the car painting business slows, they could do bb decontamination.

>>bombs are bad news...
    I guess you're right Tom.
    It would be so nice if I could use a bomb of some kind against the bbs.
    I have done plenty of clothes-changing. I can find the cheapest set of clothes in Wallyworld in about 20 seconds.

>>Sterifab or Bedlam?
    Not so useful for a car, lost. There is too much cover - seats, panels, carpet...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur