What a Ride.....Thanks All!

(2 posts)
  1. SleeplessinATL

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 7:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All - Thought I'd share our story so as others come upon this experience there's another success to read. Back in February, our daughter started having a rash on her arms and legs - she'd itch until she bled - we took her to the dermatologist who said it was contact dermatitis and prescribed a topical - which helped a good bit - so we moved on. About April - I began being covered in bites which itched like nothing I'd experienced and my daughter also had her rash back. By June - I was insane with itching and my child was covered so I took her to her pediatrician thinking it was an allergy. The Dr referred us to an allergist but when I then showed her my arms i got the "OH, you need to check the beds" and thus our experience began. We live in a single family home which we've been in since it was built - and due to very minimal travel and none during our time frame, we have NO idea where the BBs came from.

I did the initial, uneducated check and found nothing so we went about our business for another week in which my husband also started getting eaten. I decided to literally rip my daughter's bed apart - piece by piece with flashlight and magnifying glass in hand. Which is when I found a tiny nymph and then an adult under the bed slats and a good bit of fecal matter. My Husband and I then found 1 nymph on our box spring. In a panic, as we were about to be going out of town for a month - I called PCOs and took the first one that could meet our timeline (we had 5 days before leaving) - Terminix came in and steamed (finding a good amount of bugs in my daughters bed frame), dusted, and sprayed. We then bagged all soft goods and headed to laundromat for volume drying in short amount of time - and then bagged again and place in the basement. We encased all mattresses and vacuumed like crazy (2x/day) - throwing the bags away after each sweep. We left for our trip.

My H returned home 10 days later and moved all furniture away from walls in D's room and ours, put hard goods in bins with Nuvan strips and Terminix returned to steam and spray, every 7 - 10 days. When he returned - he was working in an office nook between the two rooms and got bit and found an adult on the wall in that area - he then emptied that nook of "stuff" and we vacuumed, dusted sprayed.

When I got back home after a month (now after 3 treatments from PCO) - I found 2 live bugs on my daughters ceiling during the light of day. That has been about 6 weeks ago and we haven't seen anything since. We have slowly put our rooms back together, Terminix is still coming weekly (we have a 90 day guarantee - and they said to use them through the whole time in case we do find more bugs - it can't be chalked up to a separate infestation if they've been coming often). We have climb-ups on the beds (which Terminix supplied as part of our contract - but only when I asked!) We have been bite free since the first treatment and now are finally moving on.

I do take new precautions when returning from movie theaters and public places, my kids no longer are allowed to put their backpacks in their rooms when returning from school, all items they take to friends homes are dried/washed/dried or inspected upon return, I am really watching our bedding which I've converted all to white to help ID. I still often feel like I'm crawling with bugs and I absolutely freak over lint on the floor on a regular basis. I know we will never be the same but we are moving forward and the psychological stress is finally going away. I wish all good luck and SO APPRECIATE the assistance, education and sanity this board has offered! With no intent to offend, I do hope to not be speaking to you all again

2. Jerusajohanna1692

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 8:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

It's nice to know there is light at the end of this tunnel. I went a full month and just spotted one on my bed over the weekend. I, too, am sleepless and stressed but being as diligent as i can.
    Thanks for the success story

JJ1692

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982