Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

WGN News Chicago - Around Town With BB Experts!

(4 posts)
  1. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 11:41:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought I'd share this two part news segment from a local morning news show here in Chicago. They interviewed a gentleman from USBedbugs. To date it's the most informative and correct news story I've seen run in the city regarding bedbugs. It also features much of the main pieces of advice given here on the board, as well as safe and trusted products used in the war against these bastards.

There's two parts:

Part 1

Part 2

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 12:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I could see the first but I used:
    http://www.wgntv.com/news/morningnews/wgntv-around-town-bed-bugs-aug31,0,5574384.story
    for the second.

Actually not the most informative but actually quite good. I don't mean to sound cynical. The bed bugs could be out in the hall of the hotel, so the better place to leave your luggage could be the bathtub. There are not only black spots deposited, but also pale colored droppings (probably, uric acid crystals) plus not necessarily black but can vary from pale to dark brown. But dark colored spots are not always so obvious depending on what stage left them (1st instar nymph vs adult dropping size). Not always is harborage zone restricted to piping of mattress, but can be on sides of mattress (& box spring), too. Shouldn't restrict searches. The adult insect was being shown during the 7AM showing, so people now have a search image of a large insect if they couldn't tune in for the 8AM presentation. At least 8AM part shows the clip of my jar, so it was pointed out by reporter that there were many insects in the jar, which are the bed bugs. Soon it was noted that all the insects seen there were actually bed bugs, but some are babies. It was hard to see all the sizes crawling about. The trap system might not necessarily work the night you are in the hotel: it was pointed out that it takes it can take 1 -3 days, but can also be overnight. So you can't go by the trap alone, some visual searching is advocated. Mistake also to say that some bites can be attributed to spider bites, but good to have included mites as a possible source.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 19:07:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for fixing the link. I tested it and it worked the first time. Oh well.

And yes, it's not perfect, but the news stories (other than another one on this station featuring a reputable PCO and bed bug sniffing dog) about bedbugs in Chicago either contain little info on what to do if you have them or contain misinformation on what to do. I was highly pleased with the product segment as I personally used most of the items in my battle per the reputable advice I got on this site and through my PCO. And he did mention inspecting other items such as alarm clocks, pictures frames, etc. Chicago just made the top 5 list of cities with bedbugs and the lack of quality news reports or heck even news reports, really bothers me. So while not perfect, for the average person who is watching the news, he didn't seem to steer them wrong. And that makes me happy.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 9:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

There should be more in the media during next week since the bed bug meeting will be on next Tuesday & Wednesday. There are other links to it in this forum.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88