Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Well, I did it!

(13 posts)
  1. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Mar 21 2008 15:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to let you know that I have retained an attorney. We are being sued by the rental agency for non-payment of rent, damages, ect... and we have filed a counter-suit against them for loss of belongings and pain and suffering. Our attorney went to court on the 19th of March and asked for a continuance and from what we understand that was granted to the 14th of May. I wish I could have been there in the court room to see the look on the property managers face when they called our name and the lawyer walks up. Around here, landlords are hardly ever challenged when they file for the 3rd cause of action in an eviction. If the tenant even shows up, they just bend over and take whatever is ordered. Well, I have taken too much crap in the last 10 months and I am not going to let our old landlord get away with everything he has NOT done for us. My family deserved to live in a place that was habitable and not infested with bedbugs. It is going to strap our family for the next month BAD but I think that the $650 that we paid the attorney is alot less than the $7000 we are most likely getting sued for. Still don't know the amount yet as the attorney had to petition the court for our files. One of the other tenants who was evicted about a month before we were for non payment said they are getting sued for $6000 and they moved in 2 weeks before us. So we'll see. I just think that this is a huge step for the tenants involved in the war with bedbugs. The attorney has even logged into flickr so he can see my photos and I told him about this site and the support that we got from everyone here. He was even going to talk to the gentleman from the health department here. I am really excited (as if you couldn't tell) and will keep you updated on our progress in court. Thank you to everyone here!! Especially you, Nobugs! The work you did with our health dept and the info you supplied him with was invaluable! Thank you!

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Mar 21 2008 15:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

This is great Angie!Good for you! If everyone could take steps against "slumlords" and stick up for the common rights people and their families deserve, then maybe the situation could get under control much quicker! (not that all landlords are slumlords. I'm fully aware that there are many out there that are doing their best to control the problem as well)
    Good for you! The word 'Superwoman" replacing "Supermom" comes to mind! You go girl! and keep fighting for your family! Big hugs!

3. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2008 11:22:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I got the letter from my attorney the other day and I wanted to share some of it with you. "I am in the process of obtaining information from the UNL extension office and the Lancaster country Health department who, as I understand, examined the premises and confirmed the bug infestation. My clients have taken a number of photos which I am in the process of obtaining.""while I understand there is rent due in excess of $3200, if the evidence supports what my clients have told me, I believe they would recover judgment against your client in excess of the amount of rent owed." This is the letter that was sent to the rental agencies attorney and I wish I could see the look on their faces when they read the cross complaint. The end of the cross complaint states"the defendants(thats me)respectfully pray for judgment against the plaintiffs, in the amount of $2500 or other amount proven in trial, for loss of personal property due to the acts of the plaintiff in failing to provide a sanitary residence, for judgment for loss of beneficial use of the premises during the time of the defendants occupancy, for determination of the actual rental value of the premises in the condition the premises were in during the occupancy by the defendants, for an award of attorney fees and costs as provided by statute and for such other and further relief as allowed by law." Doesn't that sound exciting? It does to me as this is the only good thing that has come from living with these damn bugs...showing the "big guys" that they can not get away with allowing us "little" people to live in chaos. Sometimes you have to fight for what you believe in and I believe that we were not told of the bug infestation and the rental agency allowed my family to live in that hell. We'll see what happens...if they take the deal and drop their case or we go to court.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2008 11:36:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck with the case.

I know its a pain to deal with bed bug issues but each little step like this will help to bring people attention to the issue and the more people who are aware oif the issue should mean a reduction in the spread.

Good luck.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. persona-non-bugga

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 14:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Angie,

Good for you. I admire you for fighting back and sticking it back to them. Hope you recoup all your losses, and that your ex-landlord has to pay you heavy penalties for your pain and suffering. Best of luck.

6. IveBeenBugged

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 14:56:28
    #

Login to Send PM

angie please don't take this wrong but I think you should be on the cautious side of things when it comes to posting anything to do with an ongoing legal case. I would think it would only give someone involved added ammunition if they happen across this website.

After my move I will most likely be headed in the legal direction myself but I don't think posting about an ongoing case is the wisest thing to do. You don't know who is looking at your posts and may inform the other party of them.

I do agree with your fight though and wish you the best with your case!!!

7. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 17:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I could not agree more with IveBeenBugged. You are placing your own case in jeopardy.

If you want to share your info (and I think you should) might I suggest that you keep a small journal and post it after the case is settled.

Sincerely,

Sean.

8. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2008 11:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Ivebeen, I totally agree with you but in my case, it is a civil matter and all the stuff that I post here is only what the opposing team already know. I will be more careful next time. Remember, I am not suing the rental agency, it is a counter-suit so as to wipe the slate clean.

9. preston place

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 24 2008 18:56:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Wheww!!!
    Good for you. When one of us stands up, more of us will too. You go girl.
    I'm proud of you, and I don't even know you.

10. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2008 10:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update on how my court case is going. My attorney called me Monday and said that he finally heard from the opposing attorney and they request a deal. My attorney thinks that they finally decided to get on the ball as we were starting the process of sending out the summons papers and needed a response from their client. Here it is...They want to keep my security deposit (of who knows how much cuz lots of confusion in the payment division.) In exchange they will drop the lawsuit against us for the rent, ect...My attorney asked what we wanted to do and I said I was kinda disappointed. I wanted to go to court and shed some light on the bedbug epidemic. BUT...There is a small chance that we could lose and then owe several thousand dollars. I told him to take the deal if they want to go that route. The deal came in the form of a voice mail so no definite answer yet. I will be happy to have all that bullsh*t behind us, but sad that it didn't help our cause and it cost us $650.00 for a plea deal. Oh well, at least we are happy and still bug free. Will let you know if any new details come up.

11. preston place

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri May 2 2008 21:29:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a similar result... You (we) did shed some light... It all starts some where...
    By making that deal it still has to be presented to the court for approval. Which makes it a public record. When all is said and done you could make copies and anonymously send them to the new tenants. You know ... just in case they need them for proof or anything... wink, wink. Good Job!!!

12. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri May 9 2008 12:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, the LL decided to settle and my attorney is going to finalize everything for us. It is officially over. Kinda sad though due to recent discoveries. To think that they passed our problem off the God only knows how many other tenants, is very disturbing. I paid $600 and the LL got $575 out of me but no big monies on my credit report. I am sad its over and wish I could have fought harder for this cause, but the money wasn't available for a long battle. I also believe in karma, and they will get theirs someday cuz the next one to sue for bedbugs, may have the financial backing to go all the way. Thank you for your support. I tried to bring this to light.

13. Gypsy

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 26 2008 17:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I threatened a law suit against my rental company for not carrying through initial extermination properly. However, the proof I had against the company was not about the treatment - it was the fact that management admitted to entering my premises without written notice or permission - by law in Canada, they are required to do so giving at least 24 hours notice. So, in the end, we settled out of court. I didn't get very much money, as I figured if I asked for more, I'd wind up with nothing. Needless to say, while it's not enough, I'm glad I don't have to walk away with nothing - sorry that it didn't work out for you, there may be other loop holes if you look back in your paperwork.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,686 posts in 45,068 topics over 137 months by 19,788 of 20,523 members. Latest: Starsky30, Sayitaintso99, bid