Weird smell in my car??? plsplsplsplspls help

(15 posts)
  1. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

So this smells started after I moved my laundry (properly bagged) into the truck of my car. I drive a TC so my trunk is still basically my car.

A couple days after, i wanna say like maybe two, I got inside my car and there was this (no overbearing) strange smell. My sister and friends have all smelled it. I heard that bed bugs smelled but I never smelled anything (and my bed was the most infested between the two furniture that was infested despite being what i think is small)

I don't have enough money to deep clean my car yet/shampoo till maybe in the next 1-2 weeks. This smell has been going on for maybe two-three weeks?

I sprayed it with febreeze on friday and the smell did die down significantly (at least to me, you can still smell it but it's much less then before. I'm pretty sure there is nothing food wise still in my car unless it's wrappers.

It is like a sweet and sour smell. Smells like fruity gum but ends on a sour note. My sister commented it could be B.O. as we do go to the gym and sweat in our car (but not enough to cause a smell. I do have some dirty laundry (sleeping pants and shorts.)

I heard bed bugs can smell and they apparently smell like different things to different people. from Almonds - indescribable disgust.

what are my chances it's a bed bug infestations in my car? I drive around a LOT for work (delivery) and I can't afford to give people bed bugs, that would make me so sad!!!!

let me add there are no fecal markings or do i see any bed bugs, but there is a smell.

I also had moldy fruit in my kitchen but never raspberries, usually oranges or apples or dragon fruit.

I do not eat raspberries which is why i'm stressing because I don't know what they smell like! I had my first raspberries like 3 months ago because it's my boyfriend's favorite but since then nothing.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes bedbugs do have a distinct smell, that smell is actually a complex of our that is built up of different smells which is why people report different scents.

The only way to start to tune your sense of smell is to crush bedbugs and sniff them, that way you will know what the smell is best described to you.

Now it's also important to say most people can't detect the smell at low levels (I only know of one other who can reliably smell a low level infestation) an with both of us it is an ability that developed over time and exposure.

If you can in fact smell it you need to consider a career change but in all honesty the probability is low given that there are only 2 who can out of an industry of hundreds of thousands.

I would suggest you spend some time and give the vehicle a thorough vacuum and look for signs. In the absence of a bedbug to crush, sniff and compare visual inspection is your best bet.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

I updated my post a bit and I will give it a more through look soon and update this against as soon as I can!

The thing is that the smell was kinda strong but it died down after I sprayed it. My sister can still smell it but it's less then half of what it was before. I'm thinking about taking it to the car wash tomorrow. (Im in a financial hole right now but I think it'll be worth it right?

Should i hire a k9 anyways to be safe? Again I know i am in a financial hole but there is no way i'm giving up my car without a proper overkill fight. if they are there I will massacre them, and if it does mean i have to give up my car then so be it, i will blow that mofo up. D< (ijk lol)

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 20:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Don't take it to someone when you will do a better job and will be certain of the level of detail if you do it yourself.

It also has the amazing additional feature of being cheaper. I do bedbugs not economics but I am pretty certain someone will be able to confirm that when your in a financial hole it's best to stop digging it deeper.

This is also true with hiring a K9 clean first and considr that later if you are still concerned.

David

5. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 21:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I called a company that has a k9 and they recommend me to just vacuum because even though bed bugs can survive in cars, it's highly unlikely that they would and I should just vacuum.

I want to shampoo though because I feel like at least that would get rid of the smell.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 21:51:18
    #

Login to Send PM

OK so to recap you are going to follow the advice you were given before you called the K9 company even though there is a distinct flaw in the reasoning they have given.

Dont get me wrong you are doing the right thing but it would be remiss of me not to point out how the way you put it came across as maybe a tad rude but certainly doubting of the advice you were given.

Good luck.

David

7. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 22:08:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm kind of confused with your phrasing. Sorry, i'm having a slight tension headache right now.

Anyways, what they told me in the short form is:

"It is highly unlikely that the bed bugs have infested your car and I would advise you to vacuum it at a car wash more then normal and if the bites persist then you can give us a call. We dont want you to spend money on what we think isn't likely. Also bed bugs do not smell."

He said it in a very calm and reassuring manner.

Please explain to me how there is a flaw in their reasoning please. I feel like what they said to me is what you are saying to me.

What I plan to do tomorrow is to bag and check for fecal signs. I am going to a carwash down the street that has self vacuuming and spend a good amount of time slowly going over my car.

Also I can not find a bed bug because they are either dead or non existent. I've only found the adult ones so far and yesterday I think I might have found a live one while using a shop vac but i've been recently 'seeing' them everywhere in my apt. So far there is no evidence of them on where they infested prior.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 22:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Cleaning the vehicle is the correct advise.

The assumption that its highly unlikely that they will or could is the mistake.

It is more correct to say if you are worried then the best thing to do is clean the vehicle in the following way.........

It may seem somewhat somantic but we try to ensure advice is always accurate given the large number of people who read the forum but do not post or ask for clarification.

Stated as above there will be those who either feel that highly unlikely means they woul not bother to clean the vehicle or that they would get a service to do it. Both options are incorrect options.

David

9. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 23:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh okay okay I get it now!! Thank you. I'm sorry for wording it wrong. I'll correct the quote and actually what he meant at by the car wash wasn't for someone else to do it. He meant that there were vacuums that you can use to self clean yourself.

thank you though. i shall do that tomorrow!

about the shampooing though, i just really want to rid my car of the smell

10. Bayonnebedbug

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 1 2013 11:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 months ago  » 
    Hi,
    Yes bedbugs do have a distinct smell
    If you can in fact smell it you need to consider a career change but in all honesty the probability is low given that there are only 2 who can out of an industry of hundreds of thousands.
    I would suggest you spend some time and give the vehicle a thorough vacuum and look for signs. In the absence of a bedbug to crush, sniff and compare visual inspection is your best bet.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Hi David
    You wouldnt be hiring a bed bug sniffing human by any chance?
    Rob

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 1 2013 13:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Bayonnebedbug - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi David
    You wouldnt be hiring a bed bug sniffing human by any chance?
    Rob

Hi Rob,

In the UK there was an advert on TV many years ago where an old man rang around the book shops (pre internet days) asking for a copy of a booked called "Fly fishing by J R Heartly", the punchline being when he found a copy in an obscure book shop he gave his name as a rather tearful Mr J R Heartly.

The idea when I started was that I would be Mr Hartley for the bedbug world. A man so obsessed and studied in his subject that he was a archetypal English eccentric. I don't think I landed too far off mark, although some may contest I am significantly "off base".

The odd twist of life is that the actor who played int he advert later went on to author a book on fly fishing which natural became a best seller and no doubt made up for a life time of people walking up to him in the street and declare he was "J R Hartly". I cant help but feel there is a lesson in there about life sending you lemons.

The highest level of our inspection and detection service used to incorporate a technician who literally could detect to a 1 - 5 bedbug level by scent alone although the air flow and scent saturation to the room needs to have had time to build up. However the reality is that we still inspected the room at a finger tip level using a methodical pattern so it was really more of a parlor trick than a service.

However, like Mr Hartly's book many in the industry try to seize upon that ability to try and put me down. Its often short lived when I point out the fact I have documented evidence that I have done this on many occasions and that only a fool judges the abilities of others by the lack of their own.

I guess I am more of a set high standards and encourage others to at least try for them rather than an I cant so I don't believe others can. I mean, lets face it just because I can't high jump 2.45m has little bearing on the fact that it's the current world record.

David

12. Bayonnebedbug

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 1 2013 13:34:43
    #

Login to Send PM

David
    You do know I was joking
    Correct?
    Rob

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 1 2013 13:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Rob,

Yeah but sometimes a story is worth sharing.

David

14. Bayonnebedbug

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 1 2013 13:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David
    Glad you knew I was joking.
    You have always been a great source of information and I did not want to offend you.

Take care
    Rob

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 1 2013 14:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob,

It's actually hard to upset me although I do get a lot of déjà vu days.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com