Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Weird bites

(16 posts)
  1. random-name

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 11:25:55
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been like 2 months I get bites, on my neck, arm, thighs, back. I've been looking for bed bugs everywhere ever since but haven't seen one. This morning, I woke up with an itchy bite on my arm. It itches for a few minutes (maybe 15 min) than it stops. Same thing two days ago but it didn't appear in the morning but in the evening, and it itched a bit longer. Has anyone ever had this? Is it bed bug related? I know everyone reacts differently to bed bug bites, but has anyone experienced this?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 11:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear random,

Bite reactions may vary by individual.

If it's been going on for two months I'd expect that you'd be able to find some physical evidence of bed bug activity.

It is unwise to conclude that you have BBs based on bites alone.

Do you know where to look and what to look for, for sure ?

If not, go to the resources pages on this site and look at the photos.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. random-name

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 11:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Dear random,
    Bite reactions may vary by individual.
    If it's been going on for two months I'd expect that you'd be able to find some physical evidence of bed bug activity.
    It is unwise to conclude that you have BBs based on bites alone.
    Do you know where to look and what to look for, for sure ?
    If not, go to the resources pages on this site and look at the photos.

Thank you for your reply.
    Well actually, I'm not sure If it's been two months, well maybe between 1 to 2 months. I did do A LOT of researches on how to inspect, but I didn't find anything.
    I did read that many people had bites for months but haven't been able to find any evidence/bed bugs, than ONE DAY they found one bed bug. This makes me very anxious, worried... You know what I mean...? Maybe I could be one of those...

4. random-name

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 11:56:19
    #

Login to Send PM

*one of them, excuse me

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 12:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Random,

You can also click on my name and see my posts. Look for those posts where I provide lists using the > as bullet points. In these lists I provide tips on what to look for.

Also, check out the images posted so you will see what to look for.

Bites with no evidence does not equal BBs every time.

6. bugonbrain

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 10 2012 21:00:59
    #

Login to Send PM

i am experiencing the same situation as you i posted in more detail under the "phantom bites" post above, five months for me with no signs of BB and now that you mention some people go six months and then find bed bugs has me nervous but all the experts say there should have been signs by now just wish i knew what was biting me

7. buggerem

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 11 2012 11:17:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,

Hi, I'm new here but been following your helpful advice and ideas since I found the site a few days ago.

I was attacked and infested in Thailand (a vicious load who clambered into my luggage and covered me all over!) was unable to get rid them out there despite many days spraying/washing/baking stuff in sun etc etc.....still itching!
    I couldn't see evidence much of the time but once or twice saw some crawlies (v. small) and flecks, some real bedbugs showed up rarely but who knows, I was in hotel rooms and they probably all have a few?

I had to leave unfortunately (part due to stress caused by the little buggers!) and was freaked by the idea of spreading it to my family member who is kindly putting me up for the moment. I stripped and boiled everything and chucked all I didnt need, I had bought a new bag etc. the day I left Asia which is still outside. Washed in lice products and put fresh clothes on which had never been away with me, but was almost immediately aware of itching again - and still am. (My life is in a mess now due to these things as I quit my job and a lovely flat to go to Asia for 6 months for some new inspiration - i just got bugged instead!)

Despite washing everything on hot etc etc and doing all I can, I still itch like crazy. Just beginning to think it could be coincidental old flea infestion from who knows where, but looked into mystery bites and mites. (so obviously a little more worried now!!!) I can find no evidence of bed bugs (yet) but my clothes are constantly crawling and tiny non itchy pinprick bites appear - and often a sharp jab like a pin (to the legs/back/underarms usually - but can be anywhere) I'm still in denial trying to convince myself this is psychosomatic and will just go away - (despite physical evidence to the contrary). I'm googling like crazy (obviously family and friends think I'm losing it and say they can't see the bites and try to show them).

The reason I'm posting is that I found a website today that may be of interest to some, I googled 'bird lice Thailand' and found a site about mites with a blog from someone about demodex mites. I don't think these are my symptoms quite but wondered if they could be of interest to some. Apparently common things and live on us quite often unknown (in follicles and eyelashes etc) but what interested me was that they can be exacerbated and multiply to bad proportions when the immune system is low - often caused by stress, resulting in crawly skin/bites etc etc.

I guess you are all too fully aware of how stressful bugs are so could this be a possible cause of the mystery coincidental post bedbug bites sydrome?
    There is hope there that the cure could be a simple mustard powder and water topical solution, this seemed to be very effective. There is much info on the page about this and clear instructions as to what do, it seems to be quite clued up and good advice but check it out - just posting this as I hope it can maybe help some people out there suffering post bb mystery bite trauma - good luck all.

Here is the link

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/mite_infestation.html

(if this doesn't work, I just googled 'thailand bird mites' or 'mustard demodex' and found the site in top four - it's Earthclinic - cure for mite infestation - reason it fits the Thai link is one guy is from Bangkok).

Hope this could be useful and you all sleep well tonight.

8. random-name

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 11 2012 17:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bugonbrain - 20 hours ago  » 
    i am experiencing the same situation as you i posted in more detail under the "phantom bites" post above, five months for me with no signs of BB and now that you mention some people go six months and then find bed bugs has me nervous but all the experts say there should have been signs by now just wish i knew what was biting me

Hi! Thanks for sharing this.
    If one day, you find the reason why you have these bites, could you please tell me what they are, so I can enable that possibility!
    In the contrary, I i DO find what i'm reacting to, I'm gonna tell you.

Thanks!

9. bugonbrain

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 11 2012 17:48:50
    #

Login to Send PM

well the weak immune system makes sense with me, after i received the bites about 2 and a half weeks later i was concerned why they had not gone away so i went to a doctor and he prescribed "prednesone" to help my body heal the bites, when i got home i googled it and found it's a steroid that boosts the immune system but after you stop taking it your immune system is weakened, anyway i was only on it for like 16 days but after stopping my immune system would have been weakened according to what i read, i will post more under "phantom bites" but thanks for the post i will check out that website.

10. random-name

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 11 2012 19:28:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bugonbrain,
    Do you KNOW that you have bed bugs? Or is it you get bites for a reason you don't know?

11. bugonbrain

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 12 2012 17:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

random-name I have found no evidence of bed bugs and have been monitoring for a little over 5 months i have passive monitors that have detected nothing i inspect every few weeks but have found nothing so my bites are very much a mystery i have installed flee traps and they have caught nothing at all yet every day or so i get a bite or two never more than three they are tiny (compared to the bites i got 5 months ago while on a vacation) and itch for a bit but are gone in a few days i have no idea what is biting me, if i figure it out i will post here, also i have posted more details under the title "phantom bites" here on this forum,

12. DepressBCofBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jan 13 2012 14:23:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Please let me know because I am experiencing the same thing.

13. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jan 13 2012 14:30:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Those of you who are experiencing "phantom bites" where no pests or evidence thereof are not alone.

While such conditions are understandably concerning, there are no ecto-parasites that fail to leave some level of physical evidence for observation in some way and there are no ecto-parasites that cannot be seen.

In the absence of such physical evidence we need to maintain our vigilance while also seeking medical assistance.

Hope this helps.

Paul B.

14. DepressBCofBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jan 13 2012 14:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paul B!

15. random-name

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jan 13 2012 22:57:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. So, so far now, did a homemade flea trap, didn't found any. Ever since, been looking for bb, no clue. today I found a fly, you know the big fly. It was dead on top of the bookcase next to my bed. Can those fly possibly the reason why I have bites? That's sound unlikely since I've got the bites just 2 and 1 days ago, on my left arm. thanks!!!

16. buggerem

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 20:02:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugonbrain, my bites seem to be much like yours so far. I've had the pest guy out twice, sprayed around everywhere, not sure how effective, washed everything in sight etc , he thinks I'm a little nuts now as there are no traces of bugs, dead or cases, however hard he looks. But my physical evidence is plenty of blood spots on bed clothes and itching pin prick bites..what else can it be? none of my sticky traps catch anything so no-one else thinks they are there. I hope they're not!!

My bites are very different to the ones i first had (in asia eaten alive). now I feel a sharp pin prick (often in bed, sometimes waking me up....anyone else get this?) and itch for a bit then it goes, or some times very small pin prick spots and itch a little but don't last long (hence no-one can even see the bites i get - making me look even crazier!). Some days I'm almost itch free, but most I get many random itches and niggles in various places, not a skin crawly feeling, but definite and quite sudden, itchy bite spots.

Are they phantoms or what? I'd like to know, just want to stop itching!!!. (anyone thought....what if they are the ghosts of the bugs we splatted previously coming back to haunt us...oh dear! - sorry bugs)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,771 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,359 members. Latest: questioning_bugger, Mikayah, maybeebedbugs