Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

We have BB and now our sitter does too. What can I do?

(10 posts)
  1. aharper3

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 14:23:26
    #

Login to Send PM

We have been battling bed bugs since January. The PCO has had to come back over 5 times because I have spotted just one every couple of weeks. Anyway, we haven't seen anything in the inceptors or elsewhere in about 2 weeks. Of course, I know this does not mean we are in the clear yet.

My mother in law, who babysits our son at our home 3 days a week just told me yesterday that she now has bed bugs at their house. UGHHH...So my question is what can I do to ensure nothing from their house is spread to ours (in the most loving way possible)? I'm not sure if she picked them up from us but I have to make sure they are not reintroduced (hell, we are still battling them ourselves!) She is spending the night at our place one day this week with our son while we are out of town. What can I do or suggest?

I seriously feel like this will never end!!!

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 14:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

If your mother in law has bed bugs her place has to be treated. During that period she could either stay away from your home or take precautions with what she brings to your home. You should find a list of precautions in this site's FAQ's.

As to the most loving way, I'd simply tell her the truth. That bed bugs are great hitch hikers and can therefore move easily from one place to another. And since it's possible that both of your places are infested, it might just be easier for her not to visit until both infestations are taken care of. Not just for your sake, but for hers. But that if she does visit, she will have to take specific precautions with everything she brings over and conversely with everything she brings back to her place.

Which brings us to your situation. You say that you've been treated five times and five times have found a bug within two weeks. Based on that, I would not feel comfortable yet that I was all clear as it's two weeks after your last treatment.

If you have confidence in the PCO, continue to work with them as well as inspecting and monitoring. If you don't have confidence in them, it might be time to consult with another PCO.

Richard

3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 14:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

This is one of the biggest things I hate about these demons. It's one thing to get infested and have to deal with it. But it's another thing to infest a loved one or someone close. I'm afraid soon enough, someone I love will call me with the dreaded news that they have them as well. And they'll look to me for advice and I don't even know where I'd start.

Just get educated and educate her on how to not spread them. There is a FAQ on this site regarding that topic. Get educated, come up with a plan, and do it to the best of your ability. It's a tough situation, I dread the day I may have to face it and fear I won't be able to handle it.

Utilize your dryer, consider buying a packtite and wish for good luck.

You could buy a few sets of new clothes for her to where at your place, then when she gets there, have her immediately go to the bathroom, undress in the bathtub, bag clothes and shoes and hand them to you, then have her take a shower and put on the new clothes. You then could throw her stuff in the dryer or packtite. Seems extreme but it's just an idea.

That or hope she does everything right before she comes to your place as far as drying clothes and such before coming.

Regardless, there will always be risk when there is an active infestation.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. aharper3

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 15:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 25 minutes ago  » 
    If your mother in law has bed bugs her place has to be treated. During that period she could either stay away from your home or take precautions with what she brings to your home. You should find a list of precautions in this site's FAQ's.
    As to the most loving way, I'd simply tell her the truth. That bed bugs are great hitch hikers and can therefore move easily from one place to another. And since it's possible that both of your places are infested, it might just be easier for her not to visit until both infestations are taken care of. Not just for your sake, but for hers. But that if she does visit, she will have to take specific precautions with everything she brings over and conversely with everything she brings back to her place.
    Which brings us to your situation. You say that you've been treated five times and five times have found a bug within two weeks. Based on that, I would not feel comfortable yet that I was all clear as it's two weeks after your last treatment.
    If you have confidence in the PCO, continue to work with them as well as inspecting and monitoring. If you don't have confidence in them, it might be time to consult with another PCO.
    Richard

So they are beginning treatment at her place on Thursday. The thing is, I can't exactly have her avoid our place completely. We work full time and she watches our one year old while we are gone MWF. I can't really afford to have her stay away for a long period of time. So I guess best course of action is to take a look at the precautions and see if there are some things I can do when she gets there and when she lives?

We have a 90 day guarantee with our PCO which starts again every time I spot a new bug so for that reason, I'm happy with them. On the other hand, I just want this to be over. Reading the posts in this forum makes it seem very dismal

5. aharper3

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 15:25:28
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 37 minutes ago  » 
    This is one of the biggest things I hate about these demons. It's one thing to get infested and have to deal with it. But it's another thing to infest a loved one or someone close. I'm afraid soon enough, someone I love will call me with the dreaded news that they have them as well. And they'll look to me for advice and I don't even know where I'd start.
    Just get educated and educate her on how to not spread them. There is a FAQ on this site regarding that topic. Get educated, come up with a plan, and do it to the best of your ability. It's a tough situation, I dread the day I may have to face it and fear I won't be able to handle it.
    Utilize your dryer, consider buying a packtite and wish for good luck.
    You could buy a few sets of new clothes for her to where at your place, then when she gets there, have her immediately go to the bathroom, undress in the bathtub, bag clothes and shoes and hand them to you, then have her take a shower and put on the new clothes. You then could throw her stuff in the dryer or packtite. Seems extreme but it's just an idea.
    That or hope she does everything right before she comes to your place as far as drying clothes and such before coming.
    Regardless, there will always be risk when there is an active infestation.

This situation really seems hopeless. Having her undress and shower when she gets to our house...I just don't know what to do. I'm not comfortable at all asking her to do that. I have already started to educate her on drying her clothes before she comes.

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 15:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't worry. There are success stories. I was one of them until I brought 1 bed bug home by stupidly second hand shopping (you'd think I knew better). But perhaps if the stuff ey are spraying is not working they could try another product. Are they dusting the cracks and crevices with any type of insecticide dust?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 15:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

No need to go Silkwood on mom; if she can get into the habit of running her clothes through the dryer prior to getting dressed and coming over to your house that should limit the chances of exposure. If she brings a purse or bag the bathtub would be a safe place to store it at your house during her visit.

8. aharper3

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 16:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 8 minutes ago  » 
    No need to go Silkwood on mom; if she can get into the habit of running her clothes through the dryer prior to getting dressed and coming over to your house that should limit the chances of exposure. If she brings a purse or bag the bathtub would be a safe place to store it at your house during her visit.

Haha thanks for this. I'm like there's no way I can ask my mother in law to strip down every time she comes into my house! That is a good idea and I don't think it's too invasive to just ask her to put her purse in the tub and make sure she drys her clothes before coming over. I kind of explained to her the precautions we took so I'm going to just reinforce that and pray that she is as thorough/diligent (see: psychotic) as we are.

9. aharper3

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 16:12:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 40 minutes ago  » 
    Don't worry. There are success stories. I was one of them until I brought 1 bed bug home by stupidly second hand shopping (you'd think I knew better). But perhaps if the stuff ey are spraying is not working they could try another product. Are they dusting the cracks and crevices with any type of insecticide dust?

I still haven't figured out how we brought them in our home. I know a neighbor had them and moved so I'm not sure if they made their way into our unit after or if one of us picked them up outside of the home. Either way, I feel like even if we get rid of them now it's just temporary. Reading these forums, it seems like people deal with reinfestations frequently. They are dusting with CimeXa and also using something called Temprid SC.

10. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 14:39:36
    #

Login to Send PM

aharper3 - 22 hours ago  » 

BigDummy - 8 minutes ago  » 

Haha thanks for this. I'm like there's no way I can ask my mother in law to strip down every time she comes into my house! That is a good idea and I don't think it's too invasive to just ask her to put her purse in the tub and make sure she drys her clothes before coming over. I kind of explained to her the precautions we took so I'm going to just reinforce that and pray that she is as thorough/diligent (see: psychotic) as we are.

Lol, hey, I just said it was an idea, you'd be surprised the lengths some people will go. Bed bugs are great hitchhikers as all of us are aware of. Her drying her clothes will reduce the risk but won't eliminate it. Depending on the level of infestation, she could still bring them if her dryer doesn't get hot enough or she doesn't dry them long enough, in her shoes, in anything else she brings or even on her person. Realistically, I would sit her down and have a serious talk. Explain that you guys need to work together and each of you need to take proper precautions going from one place to the other. Ideally and realistically, she could have a new or debugged set of shoes left outside her home or in a sealed container. Then she can take a shower before she comes over, put on dried clothes and walk out the door and put on the debugged shoes. Make sure she understands everything she brings needs to be debugged one way or another. Explain to her this is not just best for you, but for both of you and your child which I'm sure she cares about greatly.

That or an idea would be to have your child go to her place... which I'm sure you don't like the thought of. But you could be in control more than her. You could send them with a bag of dried clothes in a sealed ziplock and maybe a set of debugged shoes and have them put in her bathtub or outside when your child gets there, then before your due to arrive, have her bath your child and have them put on the dried clothes and shoes and walk outside to wait for you or sit in the bathroom playing until you get there. Then when you get home just to be safe, you could strip them down, isolate the shoes, and change them into new dried clothes. Believe it or not that is very similar to the preqaution we take when our kids go to family members houses for the weekend and... knock on wood... has worked thus far.

I understand a lot of that would be a pain and even unrealistic in certain situations. But it's doable and I think if you come to the point you know your bug free... it may be necessary.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982