Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Washing at 80 degrees, is that hot enough?

(7 posts)
  1. helsbels

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 18 2012 8:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I washed all my clothing/bedding after being bitten a few times and not found any evidence of what was biting me. I don't have a drier so washed at 80 degrees (I live in the UK) would this be enough to kill bed bug eggs or fleas or anything else that could be biting me. I ask because if it is bed bugs I don't want to take them with me on my clothing when I come in contact with family.

2. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 18 2012 9:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

80 degrees C should both deal with both fleas & bed bugs, providing you don't over-fill your washer. (Over-filling the washer means that the laundry won't heat up enough to reach 80C)

However, you need to concentrate more on working out what the problem is, than on trying to take precautions against all possible causes - you could drive yourself completely batty trying to do that.

3. helsbels

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 18 2012 9:20:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I am looking every night & morning for signs of bed bugs but haven't found anything as yet. I'm just worried that if I have bed bugs I don't want to transfer them to his place. He has anxiety & depression as it is, an infestation would be terrible for him. I just want to be cautious just incase for his sake too.

4. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 18 2012 9:47:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Fair enough. Have you tried asking your landlord for help? If you're a council tenant (even via an arms-length management company like a housing trust) or housing assoc tenant, you may be able to get a free inspection &/ or treatment from their pest control provider.

Some private landlords are better than others when it comes to biting insects.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 18 2012 10:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow... You can set your washer for 80 degrees Celsius (176 d F) !!!

Anything over 60 degrees C should be lethal for all life stages including eggs... I am impressed.

In the US... we are limited to about 45d C because our washers are supplied by a water heater that produces hot water for the entire residence... The temps are regulated to prevent burn injuries to people using sinks or showers.

Fleas can be detected with an inexpensive electric flea trap or cardboard glue traps.

A flea comb is useful for checking pets

Check out the resource page & FAQs on this site... Bedbugs.co.uk or BedBugBeware.com for assistance with identifying a bed bug infestation in your residence.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 18 2012 10:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think that there will be a market for clothes washers with their own heating elements in the US.

Installing a gas fired tankless heater to raise the water temp is an option in the US, but a built in heating element would be a very useful feature for people that use laundry machines for BB decon

7. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 18 2012 10:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Modern UK washing machines heat their own water - you can't even connect them to the hot water supply in most cases because the water pressure is too low. We still have a really hot cycle on most machines, provided with terry nappies & similar soiling in mind.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,661 posts in 50,010 topics over 154 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me