Washer doesn't get HOT, and I have SO MUCH

(11 posts)
  1. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 12:57:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Prep questions - Heat Treatment is coming up in 12 days. I have about 20 loads of clothes/linens/fabric items to wash and dry (most getting washed/dried/stored) however, I realized that my washer, even when set to wash hot, is not washing with HOT water. I am drying for 45 mins-hour. IS THIS A PROBLEM? do I need to take 20+ loads of clothes/bedding/etc to the laundromat?

2. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 13:07:59
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been talked about quite a bit and I think the consensus is that the dryer is more important for actually killing bbs. Washing on hot is just adding a layer of security.

3. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 17:48:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Dinner is perfectly right, but if you have access to your water heater, you should be able to adjust the temperature that water comes to.

WARNING: it is usually set a bit low by default for the very good reason that people can get burned by very hot water, and kids messing around with the water taps in the bath are especially susceptible. Taking a toddler to the hospital with burns is not the game plan.

Having said that, if you're all adults, and warned of the change, you can shift the temp up to help the washer get hotter, if it will help your anxiety levels.

4. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 17:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have never washed in hot water. Dried until dry, then an additional hour, and I was successful. Hope that helps make you feel better!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 21:25:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugbitten Meg - 3 hours ago  » 
    Dinner is perfectly right, but if you have access to your water heater, you should be able to adjust the temperature that water comes to.
    WARNING: it is usually set a bit low by default for the very good reason that people can get burned by very hot water, and kids messing around with the water taps in the bath are especially susceptible. Taking a toddler to the hospital with burns is not the game plan.
    Having said that, if you're all adults, and warned of the change, you can shift the temp up to help the washer get hotter, if it will help your anxiety levels.

I will have my husband check that tomorrow. We have no problems with the water in the rest of the house getting hot fairly quickly, so I'm not sure why the washer doesn't...

6. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 21:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hot water spigot could be turned off behind the washer, the hoses could be swapped around, a bad plumbing bodge job or a hundred other issues are all possible.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 1:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hot dryer is enough according to experts. That's probably the best way to cut down the work if you're asked to treat all clothing and items start out clean and dry.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 9:36:35
    #

Login to Send PM

iamdinner - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hot water spigot could be turned off behind the washer, the hoses could be swapped around, a bad plumbing bodge job or a hundred other issues are all possible.

If everything else in the house is getting hot water, definitely check these things first. But if you're just prepping already-clean, stored clothing, just the dryer makes more sense, as long as you're sure it'sgetting hot enough. When in doubt, wade through the FAQ:
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/05/18/bed-bug-laundry/

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 9:49:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Most water heaters are set around 115 degrees. I wouldn't worry about the water temperature and rely on the dryer. You don't have to wash everything, just make sure it goes through the dryer.

10. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 10:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

We checked the hot water heater and the spigots and hoses, all are correct. Maybe just because it is an old washer.

So am I OKAY to throw clean dry clothes in the dryer for an hour before bagging and storing? OR would I be better doing this at the laundromat since their dryers are hotter?

My anxiety is HIGH on this one, even though we have never seen a bug in any clothes.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 11:12:46
    #

Login to Send PM

An hour is more than enough.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,803 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991