Wanted to share my success story

(3 posts)
  1. hiiamkelsey

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 2:36:37
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was dealing with bed bugs, I felt like I was honestly never going to come out on the other side. In a haze of anxiety ridden sleeplessness, I would research success stories to assure myself that at some point, the nightmare of bed bugs would be a memory. Now I am the one posting my success story, hoping that someone out there who is freaked out, stressed, and sleepless, can read this and feel a little bit of solace.

My roommate and I had just moved into a new apartment 3 weeks before we found out about the bugs. Neither of us react to the bites, so we had no idea that we had them until one day I found a weird dead bug on the floor next to my bed. I had no idea what a bed bug looked like, and hadn't even considered that an option, so I just tossed it and went about my life. A few days later, a pest control guy comes knocking at our door asking if we have had any issues with bugs. He was very specific not to say "bed bugs" right away, but i eventually got it out of him, and told him that I had seen a dead bug next to my bed a few days ago, but wasn't sure it was a bed bug. He said our neighbor has been getting bites and that the whole building is complaining, so I had him check out beds, and sure enough, both bedrooms had them.
    Thus began our journey of insanity. To make a long story short, I had it out with management and raged at them letting us move into a building that was infested with bed bugs. We lived there for 1 month, and had to find another place to live. In the meantime, we went about protocol as strictly as possible. We removed every single piece of fabric from the house in sealed plastic bags and washed everything in hot water and put in dryers on high heat for 1 hour. After that we sealed everything in big ziplock bags and labeled it as clean.
    Next came the apartment itself. Both my roommate and I had big record and book collections, and we painstakingly shook out and vacuumed each and every book and record in the apartment. What a task..
    At this point we began searching for a new place to live, and in the meantime began bagging and labeling the few things we were going to take with us. All of the clean/treated clothing and fabric items got stored in a friends garage far away from the apartment. The untreated items we would be taking to our new place were put into large plastic tote containers with snap on lids, taped shut and labeled dirty. We had changes of clothes for the house so we would not bring anything in/out. I honestly felt like I was in that movie "Outbreak".
    Once we got a new place to live, we made the difficult decision to leave behind every single piece of furniture from the apartment. Devastating. We lost close to 9k worth of stuff, but it honestly would not have been worth it to bring anything into the new house. We ordered Nuvan strips, and tossed one strip into each container and sealed them off with masking tape and left them on the back patio of the new house in the sun to bake/fumigate for 6 weeks. The label said 10 days was sufficient, but we weren't taking any chances.
    We slowly, but surely rebuilt our furniture collection thanks to some very generous friends who helped us get back on our feet and donated couches, chairs, etc. We both had to buy new mattresses and bed frames and new sheets and blankets. After seeing live bed bugs in your bed its near impossible to ever be able to use the same bedding again without some serious PTSD.
    We both purchased bed bug slip covers for our mattresses and bed bug interceptors for the legs of our bed frames.
    At this point, we are 3 months into the new place and not a bug in sight. I am keeping my fingers crossed and keeping careful watch around the house. But, so far so good. Once we hit the one year mark, I can officially declare us 100% bed bug free, but for now, every month that passes without incidence gives me a little more relief.
    Do the hard work, take the steps, be diligent, and DONT SKIMP. It's just not worth it to have to do it all over again. It's worth the endless amounts of tedious, hard work to make sure those suckers don't invade your life. Good luck everyone.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 2:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your success story!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2016 7:12:45
    #

Login to Send PM

We made the difficult decision to leave behind every single piece of furniture from the apartment. Devastating. We lost close to 9k worth of stuff.

I feel your pain, Kelsey

We are moving out because we have just become infested again two years after the first instance. I just don't think the landlord can get a handle on it. They just seem to be moving the bugs around. We are doing exactly what you describe- discarding all furniture, sanitizing clothes and such, and DDVP on electronics. We are also going in to our new place ahead of time to seal cracks and apply DE.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325