Wanted to say hello and ask for recommendations on a competent PCO

(10 posts)
  1. BuckeyeNutz

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 16:18:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all. First, thank you all so much for the experiences and wealth of knowledge shared here. I am new to this nightmare, exhausted and emotionally traumatized, so I am truly Buckeye Nutz! It is nice to have a place to obtain reliable information. Plus it helps pass the time until morning as I lay awake in an ever hyper-vigilant scrutinizing every single speck of dirt.

My story is I thought I had mosquito/bug bites from being out in the grass. I had maybe about 20 bites, mostly on my arms, one on my neck, one on my stomach and one in each knee bend (none of which are in the breakfast, lunch, dinner pattern). When they kept itching and not really healing, I started googling and came up with bed bug bites (as a side note, I find Neem Oil, Lavender oil, and tea tree oil to help with the itching - so much so that they barely bother me any more). Nobody else in my home has any bites (husband and two little boys). This is when I start panicking, but also start reading and gathering information. I don't set a DIY trap because I am a hippie girl and worry about the fumes from dry ice. Of course, I can't find any hand warmers in Ohio in the summer to try Alka Seltzer. I start going around my mattress, box springs, baseboards with a flashlight and magnifying glass. I find a bunch of spiders, mouse poop behind cabinets, but nothing that resembles a bed bug, an egg, or anything associated with bed bugs. I now have a collection of bug specimens that would make Gil Grissom proud I did find on my mattress pad a few tiny black dots that were stuck in there, but hard to identify as fecal matter since I had just watched the mattress pad. Even with all the pictures, I am not an entomologist (how I wish now I had chosen a different major in college!) and it's difficult to tell what you are looking at/for in my humble opinion.

I wash down the walls with Pine Sol (which I'm pretty sure undid all of my healthy living and eating for the past 3 years in a single dose), vaccuum, spray some Eco Bug Spray, and put down food grade DE. I steam clean the mattresses and wrap everything, including the pillows, in covers. I still can't get any sleep, so I decide to use a dog. I am well aware of several people's opinions on this, particularly because they don't do a visual confirmation. However, I could not find a team in Columbus that would actually verify anything as they all seem to be trained by J&K. Also, there are not many posted reviews, so I just took a leap of faith. The dog came out and it had a hit in one room, which was the room in which my two little boys share. Particularly, it kept hitting the post of my son's footboard. I did get the bed from the thrift store, but that was 3 years ago. I think, surely, if I had a problem I would have noticed long before now, but after reading so many different things and learning how wiley these truly are, maybe not - you never know. Nothing in my room at all.

I thought I was a mess before, but now I just keep thinking I hope my husband checks my bed in the psychiatric ward really closely for bugs. I had a dumpster brought in, took the bed and frame out the window and put it in. I am a worrier and now regretting my hasty action without reading up a little first. I am worried I somehow scattered them and worried they will climb out of the dumpster back into my house or worse yet, to one of my neighbor's houses.

I have made phone calls to several PCO's, all who were extremely nice and not at all pushy, but none who sounded completely competent (at least not like the contributors on here anyway). I wish I could hire Paul. David, or many of the other wonderful PCO's on here to come to Ohio!

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a Shrink, oops I mean, PCO in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Dayton? I would sincerely appreciate it!

2. NY Bug Man

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 16:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about the bed bugs
    You sound pretty proactive, so i am sure you will choose the right company.

The advice i give to everyone is to just do your research, and choose who you feel comfortable with. There are many great PCO's out there that will get rid of the problem.

Luckily these days we have the internet and you can avoid those with a less than perfect reputation, but dont always go based off reviews alone.

The best bet is to find out the treatment plans of the prospective companies, and then post on here what the companies tend to do. Its better for us to tell you what sounds best vs. who is the best - based on all of our knowledge.
    There may be others on here who live in your area who may want to speak about their positive experiences with companies.
    Good luck!

3. BuckeyeNutz

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 16:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Tried to say thank you, but apparently it ate my post so Thank You!

4. NOtobedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 20:11:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Buckeye!
    I do not have any recommendations for the Columbus area but wanted you to know I am following your posting because my daughter lives in Columbus and I am scared to death she is going to get bedbugs. She is renting a condo and thankfully only has a neighbor on one side and underneath. Please post if you find a company that is competent, I would appreciate it.
    Also, have you read about the passive monitors? I would really recommend them as they may help you get your answer. Honestly without them I would've (and still would be) a wreck. I hope everything turns out negative for you but it really does change your life.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 10 2013 23:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Buckeye,

I added a bunch of tags to your post.

Try clicking the tags above for:

Columbus PCOs,
    Ohio PCOs,
    Cincinnati PCOs
    Dayton PCOs

... and you will see many posts. I'd poke around in those a bit. Some are asking for help but many of those have responses from others about teams they've used.

(Be a bit skeptical of reviews where someone has not posted except to review a company-- sometimes they're not genuine. You can see how many posts someone has under their name to the left of the post.)

Also, you said,

I don't set a DIY trap because I am a hippie girl and worry about the fumes from dry ice. Of course, I can't find any hand warmers in Ohio in the summer to try Alka Seltzer.

If you want an active monitor, the Bed Bug Beacon is designed to do what the dry ice monitors do (give off CO2, catch bed bugs) but doesn't contain dry ice. It should be much more effective than hand warmers and Alka Selzer, tips people posted here before better pre-made monitors were available inexpensively. (Remember an active monitor like the Beacon is going to be competing with a human in the same room, so should ideally be run for several weeks in a situation like this with no evidence, and therefore likely a small problem if any.)

Also, passive monitors may help.

This FAQ on bed bug monitors gives you the nitty gritty on the Beacon and on passive monitors.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Louise

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 11 2013 0:05:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Buckeye,

Sorry - just to confirm: Have you found any hard evidence of bed bugs (bugs, skin casts, fecal matter), or are you basing your diagnosis of bed bugs on your bites and the dog team?

And am I reading correctly that the dog team did not verify their "hit" in your sons' room?

7. BuckeyeNutz

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 11 2013 21:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for your replys and suggestions. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I needed to get out of the house for a while today to preserve my sanity.

Louise - I did find some small hard black dots on my mattress pad, but I had just washed it and they were embedded in there. Once I started googling, I thought they might be bed bug fecal matter. So I have potentially that, my bites, and the dog. No other evidence with me crawling around on the floor and cracks using a magnifying glass and strong LED flashlight. Edited to Add: The dog team did NOT confirm anything. I couldn't find a team locally that would do that.

Thanks again everyone - I appreciate all of the advice and support.

8. Louise

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 11 2013 21:56:14
    #

Login to Send PM

BuckeyeNutz - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Louise - I did find some small hard black dots on my mattress pad, but I had just washed it and they were embedded in there. Once I started googling, I thought they might be bed bug fecal matter. So I have potentially that, my bites, and the dog. No other evidence with me crawling around on the floor and cracks using a magnifying glass and strong LED flashlight. Edited to Add: The dog team did NOT confirm anything. I couldn't find a team locally that would do that.

Could I recommend that you post a picture of the suspected fecal matter on this site for one of the experts to ID? Because if that's negative, then it may well be that you don't have a bed bug problem at all...or at least any evidence of one.

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 12 2013 22:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear buckeye,

Send me a PM and I'll respond with some names as requested.

pjb

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 12 2013 23:02:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Buckeye Bug,
    Your post was deleted as it violates the forum rules. Advertising your company in forum posts is not allowed. Please read the forum rules carefully!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls