Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Walmart now stocking at home products

(5 posts)
  1. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2011 17:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Today was the first time I've seen available on the shelf at my local Walmart any at home bug products in the pest control section. They have a bed bug and flea fogger I think by Raid that comes in a purple box and beside that little clear plastic detection trays (two per box) that have in the center sticky stuff.

I appreciate the effort... I really do... as this is the first place I've seen selling DETECTION tools on the shelf, but I can't possibly see how these would work. The glue is way in the center and they are so small as it is I can imagine the chances of actually catching a specimen, especially in a very early or light infestation, happening its way into that one 1x1 spot out of an entire room.

Walmart, please, do I need to bring out the sticky notes and leave them on every product your selling??

On campus there are sublet and apartment rental flyers all over, I've taken to markering on them little ads about becoming an educated resident and adding the registry address and this one. I went back into the bathroom about an hour after hitting the one by the sink and I heard two girls at the sink reading what I put on there and they said they were going to put in their address to see if anything comes up!

I also educated Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen's bus driver recently during a local poster signing and movie screening about being careful when they get to NYC (they were heading there that night). The bus driver was fascinated, I taught him about not using dresser drawers and things and demonstrated how small the nymphs are. I gave him a piece of paper with those two addresses as well.

Yup... I even got to warn Emilio as he boarded the bus to be careful in NYC and wash his clothes lmfao. Hopefully the bus driver and him compared notes so that it would make sense.

*one more thought... a woman who was having the conversation with us said she had thought the problem was over because she hadn't heard anything about it. The problem... she thought.. is over. Oy.

2. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2011 17:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is my question... why is ANYONE allowed to label a fogger as OK for bedbugs? We know that these things make treatment infinitely more difficult.

3. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2011 17:46:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Because we live in a capitalist free enterprise nation were the pursuit of instant wealth is OK, no matter what. They see an opportunity to make quick money by feeding on peoples fears and desperation by marketing a product to people who think it will help them. They have a funny way of avoiding infringing on that right to make money even if it means lying to the unsuspecting public. Why are over the counter flea drops for cats and dogs still legal even though they often cause seizures and even death for a pet?

4. makesmenuts

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2011 21:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I cringe every time I see bed bug foggers. We initially spread our infestation, although it was through lack of knowledge/research rather than a fogger, so I know how it complicates treatment efforts. I have no problem with OTC treatments as we have used them ourselves after much studying and carefully choosing ingredients. I'm no expert, but everything I've read from experts indicates that foggers are never, ever appropriate for bed bugs. I've never seen anyone buying one, but if I did, I would intervene. I can't stand the thought of anyone making an infestation even worse than it is. They're hard enough to get rid of with the problem steps, let alone dispersing them.

5. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 6:57:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I've seen the foggers at our Walmart for some time now...at least since early summer when I started noticing those types of things. I'm sure they've been for around quite awhile before that though because we continue to read about users who have tried them.

Not that I love Walmart, but I'm not sure I expect they would have the time to research every single product they carry. If action is taken, I think it needs to be done so directly with the manufacturer. - Just a quick side note about flea & tick drops for pets...I don't know about the inexpensive ones because I only tried them once years ago and they didn't work - but Advantage is now available OTC and I've used it for years on all my pets and they've never been harmed. Yes, you are essentially applying a low dose of poison to your pets, but the pests they are meant to control (especially ticks), in my opinion, are at a higher risk of causing harm to your pets (not to mention extreme discomfort).

Now back to the foggers. help_me, you seem to have a lot of passion and energy. Grassroots efforts have been proven to bring forth change...I too have been annoyed, but instead of being annoyed about it and hoping the government or some other powerful agency will take action, perhaps the action needs to start with the little people....I have a million things going on right now, but I may take some time to look into it this weekend. - I'll comment again if I come up with anything. Let me know if you're interested in taking on the challenge

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92