Vikane treatment in storage space ?

(7 posts)
  1. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 29 2007 13:16:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious about this treatment. Would it be possible to do this in a storage space that has been rented? It would not be packed with stuff only a futon tv computer and a couple other things.

I would think if one could do this it would help to not take them with if you could move somewhere else.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciatted.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 29 2007 13:31:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Tony,
    People who want to vikane their possessions only (aka "commodity fumigation") must do so in an enclosed space. What I have heard of most is a moving truck being sealed and gassed. (It has to be entirely sealed--for effectiveness and for safety.) You could not actually do it in the storage space. Items would have to be prepared in a certain way.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 29 2007 22:57:23
    #

Login to Send PM

After checking online most of the companies I found in this area seem to use Vikane for termite control. If anyone out there knows somewhere I could learn more of this type of treatment for bed bugs and using a sealed truck or knows of a link where I might glean some more info please post or PM me.

I suppose I could call and ask even if they usually treat termites. What's the worst they could say a possible no.

4. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 1:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Tony. I don't recall where you're from? I know Western Fumigation in PA does Vikane for Bed bugs. I live in NJ and used them for my home. Royal Fumigation is also very good from what I understand. There is a new company called Bed Bugs and Beyond that does it as well. If you are in the NY tri-state area these companies may be able to help or at least give you some more info that you are looking for.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 2:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Tony,
    Go to our FAQ on vikane. You can go to Dow's website via the FAQ (they produce vikane gas) and since they are the source of the gas, they should be able to advise you on local practitioners. Call all local companies, not just one. Prices and quality may vary a great deal.
    Also, thermal may be an option for your stuff and may not cost any more, assuming thermal is done in Florida. It may even be an option in the new home (assuming the dog clears the new home) for doing home and contents at once.
    I suspect bakedbedbugs (who does thermal in BC) can answer questions about how it works and may know local suppliers--again, you want to get multiple quotes and references.

6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 0:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Tony,
    I'll check if there are any ThermaPure Licensees in FL.
    You should have a look at Temp Air's thermal remediation page and see if they have any licensees in FL as well.
    AS far as I understand it Temp-Air's patents only apply to non structural thermal treatments (i.e. your idea about a storage unit). Temp-Air specializes in trailer type treatments. Perfect for in-between-moves situations. ThermaPure's patents were developed specifically for structural treatments of termites.

Feel free to ask any me anything and I'll do my best to answer.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 1:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Tony, since you asked about TERMITES and vikane, just a note--and to anyone who finds this later-- as per our faq on vikane, it apparently takes 3x the vikane to kill bed bugs as termites. The period may be different too. So people who treat termites with vikane may be able to do this, but make sure they know what they're doing. (And definitely don't ask for "termite" treatment...)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,736 posts in 50,027 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah