Vikane. Last resort... [moved with Vikane treatment of truck]

(6 posts)
  1. batbutt31

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2014 16:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am new posting to this website. I just want to say thank you first. If it weren't for you all i would be clueless and uneducated in my situation. I am going to try and explain my situation quickly:

I live in a suburb of chicago in an apartment and suspected bed bugs around the beginning of march after getting unexplained bites but could never confirm it because I saw no evidence. One day in late April I did another inspection and found one bug on my dust cover on my box spring. Since then I have found 6 total: all adults, 5 around my bed and one in the living room on q baseboard after being treated twice.

The pco confirmed and I have confirmed they are in fact, bed bugs. No nymphs or fecal matter have been seen. The only evidence has been those 6 adults and a few casings.

Called my landlord immediately and he sent someone the same day to treat. He treated with a steamer, a pesticide, and DE. He gave me glue traps for monitoring.

I have had three treatments and not one bite in about 3 weeks, however we just discovered the 6th adult bug in the living room recently.

My landlord has paid for everything and has been very attentive in general. However, now I know why. It turns out the man below me and one unit over has had an issue since LAST FALL. now I am mad. Because I know they came from him and if they would have informed the tenants I could have at least been trying to use preventative measurea earlier (mattress encasements, de, etc).

I have been following all the suggestions to a T. Eash and dry on hot for an hour, have all my clothes in sealed garbage and ziplock bags. Mattress encasements and ive been extremely careful when going to work, etc. Had my car detailed with a steamer for peace off mind.

To make matters worse and I guess the explanation for my overall question is that im moving june 30 to a bed bug free place. I gave all my furniture to my parents before I knew I had an issue so they could put it in a newly acquired park model camper. I told them immediately and thankfully they never took it from their van to put in the camper. They threw it out immediately but im afraid they could have infested the van. It was in there for about two weeks in the sun. Not enough heat to kill them if theu were in my furniture.

So I have looked around for options for moving and am getting my belongings treated in a moving truck with vikane from mccloud pest services to hope I dont move anything with me. I know I probably have what's considered a small infestation but I cant take any chances. My questions are:

Do I have a right to request the landlord to cover the cost of the vikane? I am their best tenant and have never had any issues in the last two years. The man who brought the bed bugs in got them from constantly bringing in used furniture and he is disabled so he doesnt clean or declutter like he needs to. He barelt does he laundry and has magazines from 1970 under his couches. Its a disgusting situation. Apparently he uses a towel to cover his pillow because it has fecal stains on it. EW. since the landlord neglected to tell me there was an issue since last fall and im sure other people have them as well I think I could have a leg to stand on.

How huge of a possibility that there are bugs in my parents van? I have tried to make them inspect and treat but they dont seem to think its a huge deal. (Ignorance really is bliss). Keep in mind I never knew if that furniture was infested amd all bugs but one straggler were found near my bed.

Thanks so much for reading this novel.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2014 3:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert on legal issues (or much of anything else), but I don't think you have any automatic legal right to have Vikane treatment of belongings paid for by a landlord (or the tenant who spread the problem, for that matter).

However, you may be able to take legal action, on a large or small basis (small = small claims court). Seek legal advice from a lawyer who knows local laws. We have a FAQ on legal issues which tells you how to find low or no cost legal advice if needed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. batbutt31

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2014 10:47:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nobugs. I did take a look at that section previously and the law in Illinois states landlords are required to inspect and treat all adjoining units if two or more cases are found and they did not which ie causing it to spread. I am going to try and use this to my advantage. The vikane is costing me $575 which I know is considered cheap compared to what I've seen quoted here but it's still expensive to me, a 24 year old single person with an entry level position.

Hopefully the inexpensive quote will help my case even more. I'm planning on talking to them today. We'll see what they say.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2014 0:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

As the FAQ on local laws notes, you need to verify these yourself, because they are always changing. You can Google and ask a local tenants' organization. Good luck!

5. batbutt31

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 16:26:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I wanted to come back to update everyone on my situation. I got my moving truck vikaned for a "reasonable" price of $575. It took a lot of explaining and dealing with my landlord, but I convinced them to at least cover half the cost.

We moved into the new place on june 30 and have been bite free since. Technically it has not been 55 days but I'm pretty confident we are bed bug free.

I still think about its a lot. I am extremely paranoid with going anywhere or having people over. A lot of things make my mind immediately go to bed bugs...trash outside, people moving. I hope one day I can get over that.

We drove by our old apartment the other day. Looks like they rented out our unit. I feel awful for those people. There was also a mattress out by the dumpster.

There is hope. Please don't give up. For us, paying that money was worth it. I have my life back. And I owe everything to this website. Thank you.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 17:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

HI batbutt,

I am so glad you escaped your bed bug problem AND got the landlord to pay half.

I am going to move this to the success stories forum. Good luck to you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes