Vikane for an apartment

(4 posts)
  1. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 19 2016 11:28:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I'm trying to choose the right treatment for our 1BR apartment in a large multi-unit building. A K9 cleared all our surrounding apartments, so it's just us.

PCO was in yesterday. He'll treat our furniture and structure (baseboards, closets, etc) with Cryonite and chemicals, but the issue is how to treat our belongings.

Our clothing, shoes, throw pillows, etc are already treated and bagged, or out at a bed bug laundry.

The issue is our other stuff: CDs, DVDs, hundreds of books, files and paperwork in a home office area, and dozens of flat little file boxes filled with stuff (photos, negatives, printed collectibles, etc) Also, the contents of our only closet, a walk-in in the bedroom.

The PCO says there isn't enough floor space to treat with Nuvan pest strips. So he wants to pack up all our belongings, like we're moving, take them to an off-site facility, and gas them with Vikane. They would be returned after our second treatment.

This is a mind-boggling amount of money that we can't really afford, and:
    1) I'm concerned about how effective it will be.
    2) I'm also worried about any health effects of all our belongings being treated with Vikane.

Also:
    3) Does anyone have any other ideas for how to effectively treat so many belongings in NYC? I have searched the forum and Googled the shit out of this dilemma, but I must not be doing it right because I can't find anything.

Thanks. Our history below:

***This started with itchy bites about 5 or 6 weeks ago.
    I isolated the bed early on and they never got in there.
    Last week I found a nymph on the couch.
    K9 alerted to couch and large bookshelf in bedroom.
    We haven't gone near the couch since I found the nymph.
    We haven't slept in the apartment for four nights. I know this is all bad, but I get a strong reaction to the bites.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 19 2016 15:57:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You can have belongings treated in a pod or truck and if it's done properly, it should work.

Items can be sealed in individual bags (in an airtight manner) and treated with Nuvan strips (DDVP).

It's possible to heat treat items (eg with a Packtite).

The Vikane is the least labor intensive for the consumer, and the most expensive.

Cryonite is a contact killer only. It can take multiple treatments to individually hit every bed bug and egg. Do you know what else (residuals, dusts) they used?

In many cases, people are not told to individually treat every item they own-- simply exposing them to the residual chemicals and dusts will allow bed bugs to cross poison and die.

That said, is there a severe problem? How many live bed bugs were found on inspection?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 19 2016 22:56:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for your rational questions, Nobugs.

We found only 1 live bb, a nymph, on the couch one week ago. (ID'd by Lou and by a PCO.)

We never got a straight answer about the level of infestation, because Mr Cryonite-Vikane didn't inspect. He said I had a bagged BB, and since BBs can get into everything, literally every item had to be treated.

Today was different.

A PCO from a different company thoroughly inspected the couch and bed, and found BBs only in the couch. (Some nymphs and eggs.) He thought it was silly that someone suggested packing up and gassing our entire apartment given the level of infestation present.

He proposed steam heat on furniture, some dust, and residual chemicals. Which I'm assuming is the standard treatment.

Mr Cryonite-Vikane isn't a PCO but more like a rep, from a large company. His remarks really made me panicky, and his estimate was astronomical.

Mr Steam-Chemicals, the PCO today, treats apartments every day, and has done thousands of bedbug cases. So his very modest assessment seemed grounded in reality. The price was a tiny fraction of what Mr C-V was asking.

We booked Mr Steam-Chemicals for Thursday. We just have some light and very doable prep to complete tomorrow. I'm feeling relieved. But still shell-shocked by this whole experience.

I found Mr Steam-Chemicals's company through this forum, so thank you a zillion, Nobugsonme. This website is incredible.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 20 2016 0:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Foundaspot,
    That's great news!

He proposed steam heat on furniture, some dust, and residual chemicals. Which I'm assuming is the standard treatment.

That sounds pretty good. Some omit the steam step but I think that it's good-- they can knock out a lot of bed bugs just right off the bat and then the residuals and dust keep killing.

Thanks for your kind words. Glad the site has been helpful to you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie