Vikane coming up-moving with pet questions

(5 posts)
  1. bugsinbrooklyn13

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 14:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all-

I have been trolling around since January/February, when my battle began. A little info, but first, this forum and site has been AMAZING. For both my sanity and the battle.

We are moving tomorrow and Vikane-ing all of our things. Every bit of our lives is being moved out of a 60 unit building, packed in cardboard boxes - ready to be moved by Katz Moving, fumigated by BBFS and returned to our new 7 unit building. We are sleeping on the floor of our old place the night before we move, changing into new clothing/shoes that have been sealed before entry to the apartment in gallon ziplocs and stored in the freezer. Nothing aside from us, the two cats (which is part of my question below) two carriers we are buying the morning of the clean relocation, not setting down in the apartment and literally just throwing the cats into, and our identifications that will be sealed in ziplocs is coming. We bought dollar store towels, using old ikea pillow for sleeping that night...everything going right in the trash. I feel like I'm going to war for the final battle.

We moved into our apartment in 2007, first floor, no problems whatsoever. This past August, we moved up to the 6th floor. I started getting random bites in January. My roommate had (and STILL HAS) NOTHING. No bites. Tore apart the apartment. Nada. Month goes by, and I have about 10-12 bites on one arm. After freaking out and crying, I decided to take action. Called landlord. She's not very responsive, gave us the exterminator number, called, booked, etc. Got the place sprayed three times, two weeks apart. Did masses of laundry. Had DE in the outlets. Found a live bedbug in the bathroom. (we KNEW we'd find the slow one!) Found casings. Found dead bodies after extermination. But as we all know, unless all the apartments are treated at the same time, no dice. And literally, we watched the not-so-savvy exterminator walk from our apartment to another on the same floor. Awesome. Few weeks...then I get bites again. Casings again. Live bug on the bed again. Back into my sleep armor, complete with leggings, knee socks, long sleeve shirt, and tea tree lotion and vicks on all areas of exposed skin. (No vicks on face...just tea tree lotion. For me, this combination worked...) We were ready to buy all new stuff and a Pack Tight - then found on this site Vikane. OOOOHHHHH (I'm so ready for war, clearly) Present day: movers arrive tomorrow. Genocide occurs tomorrow night.

So the question I have...are those little &$(@'s going to hop on my cats and come with?

2. bugsinbrooklyn13

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 14:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm also happy to report the effectiveness. New apartment has been cleared with no bed bugs. This whole experience has made me a nut. My roommate, still with no bites, is going crazy because of it. UUGH

3. bugsinbrooklyn13

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 18:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to be a pest, before I soak my cats down and risk bodily harm...any experience moving with pets? Our vet and groomer keep telling us not to worry, but I don't want to risk anything after this vikane + movers = $2300. UGH.

4. motherbugger

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 10:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me know if you figure anything out! I too will be moving in two months (hopefully sooner) and am unsure of what to do with my poor cat!

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 4 2012 0:00:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs do not live on cats like fleas.

If bed bugs fed on your cat... They would go back to their hiding places ( harborage) after receiving a blood meal rather than linger on your pet.

It is extremely unlikely that you will have any BBs hitchhiking on your cat, but if you need the additional peace of mind

Talk to your vet about utilizing Vectra 3D for cats flea preventative Rx.

Brush, flea comb and shampoo your cat... then after drying apply the flea preventative

Do not exceed the recommended dose... Follow the label and your vet's advice closely... Do not combine with other flea products without consulting your vet.

The active ingredient is used in some products that are labeled for bed bugs

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug