Very nervous after 1st cryonite treatment

(12 posts)
  1. lauraj

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 17:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

First, I have to say that I could not be more grateful that this forum exists. Thank you to everyone who participates and shares their experience. It has scared the %#$ out of me reading these stories, but I've learned a lot.

Despite very mixed reviews, I opted for cryo treatment for my apartment because it seemed the safest method for my cats. One day after the first treatment, I've got fresh bites and found 2 bed bugs on my mattress. I called the company and they said it was normal to be bitten for a few days after treatment. They said I might even get a few more bites after the 2nd treatment in two weeks. So here are my questions:

When do I know if I'm bug free? I'm afraid to unpack anything even after the next treatment until I'm sure the bugs are gone. I really really don't want to have to go through the preparation process again. And it would be great to sleep again, something I sorely miss and can't even imagine at this point.

If the 2nd treatment doesn't kill the rest of the bugs, is there any method that's perfectly safe for pets and allows them to remain in the apartment during treatment? I live with two feral cats; just trapping them is nightmare and no one I know will house them for me. I also need a treatment that won't arouse my neighbors curiosity - if they find out about the cats, the cats will suffer the very fate I tried to rescue them from.

Will I ever sleep again?

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 18:35:21
    #

Login to Send PM

The general rule around here is that 55 to 60 days with no bites and no other signs of bed bugs is as close as you're going to get to proof that the bugs are gone.

I don't know of a single treatment that has any data (anecdotal or research) that proves that it is effective that allows pets to stay in the home during treatment. Whether you're talking about chemical, thermal, or fumigation of the whole structure, people and animals must be removed prior to treatment. The chemicals used in traditional chemical treatment are not safe for animals to be around until the substances dry, and even then. Thermal gets the place to temps far too hot for cats or dogs. And Vikane is highly toxic to any living creature.

I'm afraid that if cryonite doesn't work, you're going to have to find a way to remove the cats during treatment. If that's the case, and money is no option, thermal is probably your best bet in terms of overall reducing the amount of time the cats would need to be out and number of times they'd need to be removed total. (one full day one time with thermal, vs. more than one visit being removed for a few hours each time.)

If your main concern is that you're not allowed to have cats in the apartment and that your neighbors might discover the cats and narc on you during treatment, the best option for the cats might be looking for a rescue group or shelter that does not kill animals that can place the cats until you solve the bed bug problem. I don't suggest that lightly. Even when she throws up on my bed, I adore my cat.

But keep in mind that cats also provide an optional host for bed bugs to feed on if they can't get at you. And their claws make encasements harder to rely on. To say nothing of mine's propensity for chewing through plastic bags.

Cats already make treatment much more difficult. It can be done. But it's going to be a heck of a lot harder if you've got cats who are profoundly traumatized by being crated and moved. It'll be tougher still if you're fearful of cats you're not supposed to have being found and causing problems for you in terms of your lease or their ability to stay there while trying to treat the apartment for bed bugs.

Perhaps a rescue group or no-kill shelter could find someone to foster them for you until you get the bed bug problem under control?

I'm sorry, I just don't see any great options, and nobody here has reported a successful cryonite treatment before. Maybe you'll be the first--and maybe it'll just take the second one. But if it doesn't work, I'm not sure I have great suggestions about the next step. Of the options, finding a rescue group or no kill shelter to foster them while you treat the apartment may be the best option.

3. CoveredinBites

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 5 2009 11:01:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I had the same problem catching my cats to remove them from my apartment - they are feral. This is how I caught them: I started feeding them in the bathroom over 3 days. On the 4th day I closed the door so they were trapped in the bathroom. I had my friend who is a big hulking guy come over and he put on thick rubber gloves from the hardware store. He managed to pick them up by the scruff of the neck and put them in the carriers.

I reread your post and since you don't know anyone who can help you out, perhaps call kitty kind at Petco to find out if they have any foster homes available to take your cats while you deal with the bed bugs. Check out their link: http://www.kittykind.org/

4. lauraj

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 8 2009 12:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the info. I've scheduled my second cryo treatment, but I'm convinced that it still won't be enough. In the last three weeks, I've dropped 14 lbs, suffered from constant panic attacks and crying, not to mention lack of sleep. I really need to find something that I'm sure will kill these bugs.

I tried calling pureheat, but didn't get a very good response. They don't come to my area of CT and he intimated that the sprinkler system might be a problem. He said he'd call back and hasn't.

IF I can get these cats trapped and housed temporarily, can someone recommend the safest and fastest chemical treatment I could use and when the cats could come home? I have my 2nd cryo treatment on Monday, but I'm convinced these bugs will survive. I'm bug-obsessed. I really need to get my life back before I end up in the hospital. Is there an effective chemical treatment safe for my cats that can be done quickly?

thank you in advance!

5. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 8 2009 12:37:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I had repeated chem treatments while having cats. None were harmed. I would only be concerned about very young kittens. I put the cats in a room that wasn't being treated, opened the window, closed the door and taped around the door's edges. I think almost all of today's legal bug sprays are considered safe for cats and humans once the chemicals dry.

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 8 2009 12:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I would definitely give the cryonite a second chance before you give up on it.

If it doesn't work at that point, then start thinking about your options.

In the meantime, is there anyplace you could go to stay overnight just to get one decent night's sleep under your belt? Fighting bed bugs is a whole lot of work, and it's even harder to deal with if you're completely sleep deprived. In the middle of my fight (during a heat wave), I broke down and found a local hotel with a low fare, and taking only items in ziplock bags, I bailed on my apartment for one night just so that I could come back and fight after a good night's sleep.

It made all the difference in the world.

I don't know if you have family or friends nearby, or can swing the cost of a hotel room in your area, but so long as you follow the precautions listed in the FAQ for preventing the spread of bugs when you travel, that one good night's sleep can make all the difference in the world.

7. DrFrank

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 8 2009 14:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

lauraj - 1 week ago  » 
    they said it was normal to be bitten for a few days after treatment. They said I might even get a few more bites after the 2nd treatment in two weeks.

Cryonite is just carbon dioxide; there is no residual effect from the treatment. So, if they're telling you that it's normal to be bitten after the treatment, what they're telling you is that it's normal that their treatment leaves live, perfectly healthy bugs in your residence.
    How'd they miss them the first time? What makes you think they won't miss them the second time?

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 8 2009 14:19:07
    #

Login to Send PM

What Dr Frank said in spades. Cryonite is a contact killer. Unless they hit every single one of them the survivors will repopulate.

I'm a firm believer in residual dusts treatments following anything like thermal or fumigation for the future.

Jim

9. nervousaboutbedbugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 8 2009 14:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you tried using mechanical traps for moving your cats? Hav-a-hart traps work very well on feral cats... there are probably rescue groups near you that could help you through the process. Good luck.

10. lauraj

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 9 2009 11:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, pureheat will definitely not come to my part of CT. I left a message for a company in NY.

Meanwhile, I tried calling Orkin. They said that they use a chemical which is perfectly safe for both humans and pets. They even said the pets could stay in the apartment during treatment if they were locked in the bathroom.

They said they'd need to send an inspector first to verify the source of the bedbugs. Not sure how that will work since neither myself nor the cryo company I've used can find the source. Can't Orkin come and treat everything? Does anyone have any experience with Orkin?

11. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Aug 10 2009 11:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Orkin is one of those business franchises that varies widely from franchisee to franchisee. If I recall correctly, some people have had good luck with a particular local Orkin office, while others have not.

If you can't find information on the boards about your local Orkin office, the best bet would be to have a tech out for an inspection and use that opportunity to evaluate the knowledge of the person on bed bugs at that time.

Wish I could be more help, but alas, it's one of those things where there is no magic bullet.

12. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 19:05:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't even believe some of these posts. Get rid of the cats? Cryo treatment doesn't work? Of course it works or else Bell Bed Bugs wouldn't be charging so much for it. Hardly ANY kind of treatment works after just once. My landlord's exterminator uses such toxic pesticides that he nearly put ME in the hospital because I'm upstairs on the top floor and every time someone sprays, the fumes rise to my floor. And even though he uses very strong insecticides and sprays for up to three hours the first time after vacuuming for three hours, (six hours in total he's in the apartment and I'm talking about a studio), he still had to come back THREE times before my neighbor saw the last of her bugs. She also had to seal up every single crack and crevice including her fire place, a real one that worked with sterno logs. No more cozy nights in the Winter. But anyway, cryo treatment will probably take about three treatments too - and guess what? Sometimes it takes more than that no matter what you use. If you can avoid poisoning yourself and your environment, I would stay with the freezing method. But be ready to deal with this more than once in your life. These wretched critters are back. Oh, and just for the record - a lot of people are blaming this on the fact that DDT is now illegal. Well, I heard a nasty rumor that that also is not true. I heard that the bed bugs have actually become resistant to DDT. Welcome to 2010.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982