Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Vaseline or Mineral oil for bed legs?

(7 posts)
  1. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 9:35:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Am getting my new metal bed frame with legs today. I have seen here that one can use vaseline or mineral oil to spread on the legs. Not sure what to use. Any experiences with this? I think I read that mineral oil is better, as it doesn't dry up as fast.

2. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 9:57:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites, I think you're supposed to use dishes of mineral oil under the legs/feet? to isolate the bed, and the vaseline you smear on the legs. I haven't done it...

3. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 10:18:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites:

I have smeared vaseline on the legs of my bed, about an inch or two of it all around each leg, near the bottom. Haven't seen any bugs in my bed since then. They can't crawl through vaseline and even if it dries up, just put some more on. Mineral oil, you have to put in a small bowl and place each leg in a bowl of it. It works too, I hear, but seems like a lot more trouble than using vaseline, I think. Because the bowl needs to be glass and the weight of the bed with you in it could smash the bowl and spill mineral oil all over, I would think. Unless it's pretty thick, strong glass bowl. I guess the reason it should be glass is because the BBs can't crawl up a smooth surface, so it could be metal I guess too.

Hope this helps

Bill

4. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 10:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

The bowls can be metal because even if the bug cans crawl up, the moat of oil will stop them.

5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 12:33:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I have big circular feet on my bedlegs so I didn't want to get pans that big and fill them with mineral oil. I just use Vaseline.

Be aware that the weight of the Vaseline tends to pull it down and it might not start to cover the bedleg 100%. Even if it is via the longest most circuitous route possible, bedbugs will be able to climb the leg if they can crawl from one minute connected non-Vaseline-covered portions to another.

6. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 12:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, thank you, all!!! Will do just what you say. Find bowls, not enough glass right now for 4 legs, but will use plasic ones, and fill will mineral oil. Then will either put mineral oil or vaseline on the legs themselves.

Just picked up my Mattress Safe brand mattresses at Orkin company here, spoke to them at great length, and they were very helpful and supportive. I was so impressed.

Thanks, I love all you New Yorkers!!!! And everyone else here too!

7. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 8:42:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yippee!!!! Finally! Threw out very heavy wood captains bed frame. It is in the garden far away from the house, for now, and we are having below freezing weather at nights now.

Installed new bed frame and new box spring. Got my new bug free mattress cover.

I did the legs using both mineral oil and vaseline. Everything looks good.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams