Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Vapona Strips - Damaging to Electronics?

(9 posts)
  1. Toronto Bugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2007 12:19:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I'm going to be moving to a new apartment as of December 1st (got my lease terminated on a bed bug infested building with a drug dealing neighbor that has not notified building management of his infestation, probably for fear of being searched), and I need to verify some advice that I was given by a PCO.

When I asked how to 'debug' any electronic equipment I have, the President of the PCO told me that I could use Vapona Strips, containing Dichlorvos.

The items to be 'debugged' are 4 guitars, a computer/monitor, 2 tower speakers, and a power amplifier. I was told to place the items in sealed bags with the Vapona strips inside for a few days and that this would kill anything inside.

I also read, however, that Vapona strips can be corrosive to resins, can strip coatings, and can turn aluminum into powder. I'm wondering - is this true? Is there risk to my electronic equipment in using these Vapona Strips for a week?

If so, can anyone reccomend another way to 'debug' my electronics? I really can't throw any of the electronics out...WAY too expensive...

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2007 13:19:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane would be a better choice.

I found some references of damage to metals & textiles in the NPS ConserveOGram 2/4 July 1993

"Because of its reactivity with museum objects
    and health dangers, dichlorvos should only be
    used in controlled conditions and only when
    there is no other acceptable material."

PM me for the links & a PDF of the NPS warning about use of vapona for museum objects

3. pleasehelp

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2007 13:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Excellent info - thanks much, Doug.

4. Toronto Bugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2007 14:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

My only issue is - I've spent enough money already, and I doubt if I can get a Vikane Fumigation of the apartment now on the landlord's dime, plus, the guy next door has them anyways and I'm pretty sure he won't allow anyone into his apartment because he'll most likely get arrested for selling drugs, so would it even work?

The Vapona Strips are from Canadian Tire, they were $13 each, and it seems that they are a fumigant as well...

Any ideas for a cost effective pesticide, or do I always have to go through a PCO to get a Vikane treatment?

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2007 15:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a link for the pdf I found on Vapona

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/02-04.pdf

If you are looking to treat your electronics with Vikane, you may want to inquire about containerized fumigation. Much cheaper than gassing the whole structure. There are companies that specialize in treating commodities that perform this service for imported goods. Otherwise companies that treat structures for termites are licensed to use Vikane.
    It is also used to treat soil on farms for certain crops

6. Toronto Bugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2007 16:35:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again Doug - I guess that means I shouldn't use Vapona on the electronics because it could corrode them.

I'm unable to find any information whatsoever on Vikane fumigation or contained Vikane fumigation in Toronto, ON. I'm wondering if its mainly used in the U.S., or if its not advertised through many PCO's websites? I know its usually used for Termites, but they do specifically say it can be used for bed bugs as well, which is definitely something Vapona Strips don't say.

Lets say I'm in a bind, and I have to move in Dec. 1st, and can't find Vikane...will the Vapona Strips at least kill anything in the electronics, even if it could possibly damage them?

7. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Nov 23 2007 0:36:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Check with Dow Chemical to see if they can provide a referral. All of the applicators are required to be certified by Dow & they may be able to direct to a PCO that can help you.

At this point the use of Vapona (DDVP) for bed bugs is an off label use and there doesn't appear to be any published data to show that it is effective. A researcher at PestWorld said that he was going to investigate the method in response to a question about the use of Vapona for bed bugs.

The info I have seen on Vapona suggests that there are serious health cautions & a potential for damage to the materials being treated. One publication I found on Google books states that it is too dangerous for use by museum curators.

I can't recommend the approach until there is more current information available. Right now it seems to be an experimental approach based on word of mouth information.

8. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 10 2009 12:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

This is interesting to read, because I was suggested to use Vapona strips for electronics and shoes and such. I'm at a loss for how to treat my laptop and such if I can't use these (it's a dell), and I work from home with a work-provided computer and monitor-- what can I do then?

Eventually, my boyfriend and I want to move in together. We just don't want to take these with us, and are unsure how to go about treating electronics and such...

9. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 10 2009 15:05:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Mothballs are supposed to work too, without the corrosive consequences of the ddvp strips. You could carefully blow it out with compressed air over your bathtub and if it blew any bugs out they would be in tub and you could rinse them down drain and flush with boiling water down the drain. I have not tried this, but others here have said they put their laptops for about 2 weeks in the newer paradichlorobenzene type mothballs and thought it worked. I have also heard others doing the compressed air. I believe if you are in New YOrk City their is a place that can heat treat them for you and perhaps if you had a Packtite (see the little advertisement at bottom of page) then you could Packtite it. That is all the ideas I have.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982