Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Vancouver BC- PCO protocol question

(7 posts)
  1. SleeplessinVancouver

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 21:50:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO that sprayed my apartment 7 and 4 weeks ago says Federal regulations prohibit him from spraying unless there is physical evidence of bugs. He seems to define "physical evidence" as live or dead bugs, or their poop, or shell casings. Bites on my body don't count to him. I think I still have a few babies as I am getting some small or medium bites or every few days (I think in bed, but could be in bathroom.) The only time I had his type of "physical evidence" was when I caught 3 live bugs on double sided tape I had put down across the apt. entry door 7 weeks ago, and I live bug on clothing that I had just taken out of a zip lock bag 4 weeks ago. But in the past I had had a lot more bites that the bugs I found.

Is he correct, or misinterpreting regulations? If it's true, no wonder they spread.
    Any suggestions, or do I just have to wait till there are enough to provide his type of evidence?

2. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 22:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

considering my all too casual and similar SFDPH encounter today--I'd hate to suggest u start cultivating them, so I won't even go there

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 22:46:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Technically, they're not supposed to treat unless you have physical evidence. HOWEVER, I've never heard of a PCO who ceased treating after two attempts, even though the person was still being bitten, simply because the bed bugs are less visible. This is stupid.

Your evidence of a continuing problem is the bites. I am really sorry they're giving you trouble. S/he probably just doesn't want to bother coming back (is it included in your price?)

You should absolutely assume you are still being bitten by bed bugs, and unfortunately you'll need more treatments. We're told they should come every 10-14 days until all signs of bugs, bites, specks, etc. are GONE. The PCO either does not know much about bed bugs and how to kill them for good, or s/he is tired of working on the case.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 10 2007 9:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

It is absolutely illegal to apply pesticide in Canada without evidence of a pest. The "evidence" part is blurred ...

Does this mean seeing the bug?
    Is a fecal spot enough?
    How about bites?

The Federal and Provincial governments will not clearly define what is considered evidence. This is up to the individual technician to decipher.

To top it off an incorrect application can result in the technician receiving any or all of the following;

1) A written warning
    2) A suspension of their licence
    3) A fine (upper limit is $500,000)
    4) Up to 3 years in prison

So to play Devil's Advocate ...

a) A technician is not qualified to determine if a bite is caused by a bed bug or other source.

b) It is well documented that bed bug bites can be delayed in their appearance and can reduce then flare.

My thoughts are that the technician is correct; however, they have likely done an incomplete inspection. If you are still seeing bites then there has to be evidence. Call the pest control company and ask them to send a different technician for a re-inspection and possible re-treatment.

Sincerely,

Sean
    Entomologist / Pest Professional

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 10 2007 23:23:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Sean.

Since the bed bug problem has come on so quickly, and since many companies are expanding quickly to serve more clients, we've heard that even companies considered very good with treating bed bugs often send inexperienced technicians.

So even in a city like Vancouver or NYC, where bed bugs are a huge problem, some PC technicians may not have had enough experience in doing bed bug inspections to be able to recognize the subtler signs (the small fecal specks which are not smudged into the mattress, cast shells from nymphs, which may be very small, etc.) If there are few bugs, because treatment is working, then presumably this work is even trickier.

Thanks again for your input.

6. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 11 2007 0:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It is common practice for therapists to attribute these tingling sensations and little bite sensations to neurosis. There have been a few times I've felt like my skin was crawling, and other times, hard to describe in a different manner, yet I know they are actual little nibbles.
    My shrink starts scratching every time I come to her office lately--She's on vacation, today and the Nurse Practitioner who was supposed to see me today as a fill-in--called in sick. Each and every time I've said to them all--please clean the chairs after I and other clients leave--but I don't really think they do clean them--I think they chalk a lot of it up to neurotic itching. They say it' ok don't worry, we're working on getting you into another hotel and you can start over: That infuriates me becase the hotel they have me on the list for is a room half the size of the one I'm in now--and they have had recent outbreaks of bb activity so they informed me last week at the shrinks office.
    The only plus would be to get away from the crazy manager here--and even she has been melting into the walls, wheras--she used to talk down to us like we were pure filth. Even she had the BB's She should know better--and on the topic: PLEASE DO try to get another inspection, one more detailed.
    This neurotic itching neurosis ...
    Is it theirs .... or is it mine ...???

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Apr 14 2007 2:19:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow said:

"It is common practice for therapists to attribute these tingling sensations and little bite sensations to neurosis. There have been a few times I've felt like my skin was crawling, and other times, hard to describe in a different manner, yet I know they are actual little nibbles."

Willow, you mention two experiences:
    --real nibbles
    --neurosis / imagined biting sensations

But I actually believe a third thing is going on, with most of us who are allergic to bed bugs. Scientists call it formication: it's the "sensation of bugs crawling on your skin." I believe it's caused by the allergy so many of us are suffering. Many people with active infestations feel like there are bugs crawling on them and biting them.

But we know most people never feel bed bugs biting them when the bugs are actually there.

I tested this many times by checking a spot experiencing the sensations. I also would have formication-sensations in several spots at once. Others have tested this too.

While I can't say you aren't feeling actual bites, most people don't--and realize this after thinking they are. But that doesn't mean the cause is "neurotic" or imagined or what-have-you.

People also often say "bed bugs are crawling on me and biting me all day," but its more likely these sensations, part of some generalized histamine reaction to the allergens.

And I realize the neurotic itching you describe from people nearly hearing about bed bugs is a common one. An entomologist described to me how a roomfull of people scratched as he lectured them. A bedbugger told me how his/her therapist scratched as s/he was told the story of the bed bug trauma the client experienced.

On the other hand, the sensations of formication bed bug sufferers feel go way beyond itching your mind comes up with. It can be unbearable.

Formication is also experienced by drug addicts, including people on Meth.

This makes you wonder what those patients in the Vancouver rehab facilities that were just treated for bed bugs were going through: withdrawl plus bed bugs. Nice, really nice. Wait till that happens at Betty Ford.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991