Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Vacuum cleaner

(8 posts)
  1. dinnerfor3

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 20:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

What type of vacuum cleaner would be good for a 1 bedroom apartment?

Also, how long should I wait after a treatment to vacuum? Do I need to find out what he used before anyone here can tell me? The vacuums usually warn that they give off a spark and that they should NOT be used near fumes. I take it the fumigation involves gas of some kind.

2. Koebner

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 22:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Like you say, fumigation is gas. Spray is spray, not gas. Even had they used gas, the place would have been well-ventilated & gas-free long before anyone, including you, would be let back in, & the time-consuming prep would have left you in no doubt whatever that they were sealing the place up for fumigation.

The PCO should have left you some info on what was used - if you don't have direct contact with the pest control company it may have gone to your LL in error, that's not an uncommon mistake.

It's fine to vacuum, just avoid getting the treated areas wet - no mopping, no using cleaning wipes, etc.

No, vacuuming is not going to make your apartment explode - overthinking again, Dinner.

What vacuum cleaner you choose depends on what flooring you have, what storage space you have & what your budget is. It's a homewares question you'd probably be better off researching via shopping sites. There isn't a best-brand-for-BBs, though a nice strong motor will usually last you longer & pick up more dirt than a feeble, wheezy one. A crevice tool is always handy for hard-to-reach crannies.

Just remember that you want to empty it each time you use it during your infestation & though bagless vacuums cost a little more upfront, you don't have to keep replacing the bags. (Just emptying & re-using the bag isn't an option; the whole bag needs to go into a well-tied bin bag & straight into the dumpster. If you can empty the machine outdoors, that's ideal.)

3. dinnerfor3

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 7:39:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your help. I've got vynil flooring. It looks like wood but it isn't wood. I'd say there was a crack were the floor boards meets the wall thing, they've used rubber for all the bottoms of all the walls and there is a space below it, it can't be cocked probably because they want to replace vynil if any damage is done to it.

4. dinnerfor3

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 8:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I was searching for vacuums on the Canadian Tire site but most of what they carry is bagless. I think this uses a bag but I doubt I could fill the 60L just by vacuuming a 1 bedroom apartment. I would not want to change the bag that often or I'd just be wasting bags.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ShopEquipment/ShopVacuums/PRD~0540026P/Shop-Vac+Ultra+Wet%2BDry+Vac%2C+60+L/CROSSSELL~0540052%20Shop-Vac%2BUltra%2BStainless%2BSteel%2BWet%252FDry%2BVac%2B%2B45%2BL.jsp?locale=en

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 8:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear dinner,

As you likely know, vacuuming is useful to physically remove bed bugs and related debris.

Depending upon how much debris is being vac'd you may or may not need to remove and dispose of the bag.

However, it is necessary, and wise, to treat your vacuum, and sufficiently render it bed bug free, as if it is infested with bed bugs if in fact you are using it for bed bug remediation work.

This may be done in a number of ways and the comments below are offered for your review and consideration:

> Whatever methodologies are employed, it is best to be careful and thororugh !
    > The handling/cleaning process of such a vacuum presents an opportunity for inadvertant bed bug escape so be very careful.
    > We need to apply logic and common sense to what the potential areas of infestation/escape are as well as what the various facets/areas of vacuum remediation are.
    > Bed bugs that have entered into the actual intake hose and holding area of the vacuum (i.e. those that have been "sucked up") should actually be already killed or sufficiently wounded such that they are of no concern however, even though the chances of a bed bug surviving the "vac process" are very limited at best, we don't want to take any chances so it's wise to go ahead and "bayonnet the dead & wounded" here "just in case".
    > Possible surviving bed bugs within the suction system can be killed by running the vac and having it suck up hot air from a suitable heat source. There are a variety of heat sources that may be used for this purpose.
    > I have heard where some folks recommend either treating a section of flooring with pesticides followed by vacuuming or simply applying pesticides into a running vacuum. NOTE that this is not recommended as this process may serve to furhter spread pesticides within your home and it's not advisable to contaminate your vac with pesticides.
    > It is also possible that bed bugs or eggs are on the casing, exterior or non-suction system parts of your vac. These BBs will need to be sufficiently delat with as well. A thorough cleaning of the vac exterior may be sufficient and can be accomplished in a variety of ways including using alcohol type wipes.
    > Overall, my preference is to treat the vacuum itself by either heating the entire unit or using ddvp pest strips to treat it. In either method my vac is enclosed within a suitable "treatment container" such that nothing escapes treatment.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

(Please note that I have a professional relationship with the manufacturer of ddvp containing pest strips.)

6. dinnerfor3

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 11:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't get hold of a packtite so I won't be able to heat the vacuum. I'm surprised there isn't one small model that uses a bag. Don't they care about killing bed bugs? I should write to some of these companies.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 12:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear dinner,

If you cannot access or afford a commercially available unit such as a packtite there are viable alternatives for treating your vacuum.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 10:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Actually the best solution is to use the vacuum cleaner you have and feed the toe end of a fine weave stocking or tight into it to act as a bag before the dust container and then you never need to worry about it.

The simple solutions are often the best.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982