Using US Packtite in Europe

(9 posts)
  1. lcmontreal

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 12:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought a Packtite for prevention purposes; my husband will be travelling a lot for his new job, and we travel a lot in general because we don't live near family.

We are moving to Europe (France) soon, and I know they aren't available there yet so want to bring mine. I assumed it was a (relatively) simple matter of also buying the right transformer/converter, in order to use it with the European electrical system. The Packtite info page says it's 800 watts; when I looked online for transformers, I discovered that this requires one of the biggest, most robust transformers. Additionally, it is recommended that if you want to run your device for extended periods of time, you should buy a transformer that handles a higher wattage than your device. So, I'd have to get a very heavy-duty transformer!

I'm starting to wonder if this is a bad idea and not worth doing. Although then I worry how the heck else we can deal with our luggage when we travel, and how to handle an infestation if we ever get one (to me it seems a given that we, and most people, will have to deal with them eventually).

I realize the makers of PackTite can't really advise me on how to use their product in a country where it isn't approved...but maybe someone could give me some 'general' advice about using similar devices in foreign countries (similar in terms of wattage, power needs, etc)? Will using a PT this way eventually blow it out?

Also, I see that David Cain has one in London...does this mean he is using it with a heavy-duty converter/transformer, or was his made especially for him, for use with the UK grid?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 26 2011 0:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

David can probably tell you what he's doing.

Note: a European Packtite is in the works and should be available "soon" (though my sources tell me this will be after the forthcoming Canadian Packtite).

Maybe not soon enough for you to move without your Packtite.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 26 2011 6:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This is a difficult one as technically you are not allowed to import a non CE approved item into the UK or EU unless its for research purposes only.

I have already had a few emails on this subject and had to have a chat with my commercial lawyers for advice on this one before. The reality is that in order to operate a PackTite safely on UK voltage you need industrial grade transformers which are cost prohibitive. We are keen purchasers but it still cost almost the same as the cost of a PackTite.

I am not allowed to give the specification of what we had to do in order to get it to work as I have been advised that I am not allowed to activity encourage anyone to break the CE regulations. I know the fine is in the region of £5,000 per unit imported.

I have spoken with David James with regards a EU version of the PackTite and can only say that things are moving forward, not as fast as any of us would hope but each step is a step in the right direction.

Sorry its not the answer you wanted but I cant be more specific for the reasons above.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. Rosae

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 6:24:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Should be easy with a cheap transformer: http://www.twenga.nl/prijs-omvormer-110-volt.html

5. Rosae

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 6:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Really I hate the self enriching EU nannies from the bottom of my heart!
    Not chosen never elected and you can't get rid of them.

6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 6:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Rosae - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Should be easy with a cheap transformer: http://www.twenga.nl/prijs-omvormer-110-volt.html

Especially do I not have any expertise in electrical, but Rosae, on that website the maximum shown is 300 watts whereas the discussion above specifically says the PackTite requires 800 watts so, respectfully, I think your proposed "easy" solution is definitively a non-starter.

Rosae and everyone please also note the beginning part of this thread is six months old, from January 2011 – perhaps that means we're six months closer to a proper technical solution provided by David James the originator and manufacturer?

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 9:41:56
    #

Login to Send PM

This is beyond my expertise, but bear in mind the extended (and repeated) time this item needs to run.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  8. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 3:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Rosae - 5 years ago  » 

Like bed bugs

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 0:48:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BBNL - 21 hours ago  » 

Rosae - 5 years ago  » 

Like bed bugs

You can eliminate bed bugs, and you can Brexit too. Who knew?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956