Use DE with PCO treatment?

(2 posts)
  1. buggedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 29 2008 14:24:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - I'm a bit confused. Is it a good idea to supplement PCO treatment with DE treatment? I am afraid of undoing the PCO's work. Or worse, what if the BBs develop a resistance to the pesticides. Help!

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 0:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the advice I've heard most often around here on that question is this: talk to the PCO. Your PCO knows better than we do what specific chemicals he or she is using and how they interact with each other and what actions they use (I think, for example, some chemicals are called IGR, which I think stands for insect growth regulators. In other words, they basically cause birth defects to BB eggs. Others like DE are mechanical killers--the affect the bugs' exoskeletons.) I may have the details of which ones work which ways wrong, but my point is that your PCO will know what's being used in your place. It's always a good idea to ask the person using the chemicals whether you can use a particular substance.

When my chemical guy was here before the thermal treatment, I came prepared with questions: what chemicals are you using? how do they work? what can I do to support treatment? can I use steam? if so, where and how long after treatment?

Maybe I just got a good PCO but the guy seemed so happy that I was asking good questions that he was happy to fill me in and take the time to show me what to look for. He actually said, when I kept asking questions and apologized for doing so, that he was happy to answer them because so many people just waved him in and told him to do what he needed to do. I got the distinct impression that when people did that, the chances of the treatment being effective went way down. So you should ask. And if your PCO doesn't want to answer, try calling the office--you might just have gotten one PCO on a bad day.

I would guess that resistance to pesticides in a particular batch of bugs develops more slowly than you're thinking it will. I could be wrong, but maybe some of the professionals here could confirm that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula