Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Use car in hot sunny weather as a packtite heat treatment method?

(12 posts)
  1. scaredtomakeproblemworse

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 13:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that vehicles in sunny hot weather reach temps of over 130 degrees very quickly. This weekend forecasts sun and 89 degrees. I'm prepping for a possible heat treatment of my whole house but we have 5 adults and teens in the home and the clothes drying alone is overwhelming! I'd like to be able to take stacks of sweaters, t-shirts, etc. from closets and drawers, seal them in bags and put them in our cars for heat treatment. I purchased 3 wireless remote thermometers so I can regulate the temperature in the vehicles to be sure they stay over 130 degrees for, say, 60 minutes. My question is, is it possible the clothes in the middle of the stack won't get as warm as the ambient temperature? But wasn't the packtite developed to heat an entire suitcase filled with clothing? So maybe my stacked clothing concern isn't valid. I could maybe put my meat thermometer in the middle of a stack and when I go to remove the clothes I could check it to make sure it reads above 130 degrees. I also intend to put bags of shoes, luggage and other non-dryable items in the vehicles this weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts on this method or perhaps have tried it successfully yourself?

Also, I see a quite a few posts saying whole house or apartment heat treatment didn't work for them and that concerns me! Is there a gold standard for getting rid of BBs once and for all? I've read chemical treatment has a high failure rate so that's why I'm leaning toward heat treatment. I'm concerned either treatment will push the BBs into the walls and uninfected areas of the house though.

2. zelchbug

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 20:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably not going to be very reliable, you don't want the bed bugs getting into your car either. I'm sure people have tried this, don't know what the results have been.

3. scaredtomakeproblemworse

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 22:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

How is this different from a packtite really? Except, maybe the packtite uses air circulation as well. The website wasn't clear on that. Anyway, it was a thought. I'm obsessing. But I'm also a newbite. So there ya go.

4. Mf1616

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 23:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m curious to find out what the temperature will reach in the car. Please post an update once you’re done

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  5. zelchbug

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 4 2018 0:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Mf1616 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I’m curious to find out what the temperature will reach in the car. Please post an update once you’re done

I actually raised this same question a while back around the time I was moving and someone made a good point. The areas where bedbugs are hiding in objects will likely not reach the temperature needed to kill them when these objects are sitting in cars. Out of curiosity, I placed a thermometer inside my car on a 90 degree day, it took hours for it to reach 130. If that's the case then I'm thinking the little cracks and crevasses where bedbugs hide may never get warmer than 105 or 110.

Take your clothes and run them in the drier for an hour on high heat for 60-90 minutes, that would be a lot better than putting them in your car.

https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/packtite-8

6. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 4 2018 7:03:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I found the pack tight To work pretty good at getting everything in the middle hot. Perhaps air circulation helps definitely the smaller area helps.

7. yamato_big

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 12:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

packtite closet was a dud for me, does not work at all. also the yellow steamer featured here also did not work (steam pressure too high would blow away any bugs).

there was a DIY packtite on reddit a few years ago that seemed to work for the guy, and cost almost nothing. as for steamer, the cheapest dyson model turned out to be much better than any 'bed bug specialty steamers'.

8. scaredtomakeproblemworse

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 15:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Mf1616 - 5 days ago  » 

Ok, I had 2 remote thermometers. I put a black one in the back of the small SUV next to some suitcases sealed in black contractor bags. I put a white one inside my thickest, most insulated winter boot placed in the middle of other shoes and boots sealed inside a clear 1.2 mm plastic bag in the front seat of the vehicle.

The black one reached a temp of 129 degrees at 1:52 pm, 130 degrees at 2:11 pm, 124 degrees at 3 pm, 122 degrees at 3:30 pm, 119 degrees at 4:52 pm. I think I got close to 3 hours of heat above 120 degrees.

The white one (inside the insulated boot inside the middle of other shoes in a sealed bag) was acting up a little, or at least I thought it was, but now I'm thinking it was working correctly after all when I consider that it was inside an insulated space. It was at 98 degrees at 1:52 pm, 103 degrees at 2:11 pm, 112 degrees at 3 pm, 112 degrees at 3:30 pm, 112 degrees at 4:52 pm, 126 degrees at 5:32 pm, 125 degrees at 6:32 pm, 122 degrees at 7:36 pm and 117 degrees at 8:44 pm. The sun was shining on the car the entire time until it set. I think I got at least 2 hours of over 120 degree heat even inside an insulated boot. There is no way of knowing whether nooks and crannies within the shoes/boots reached those temps also but in my opinion it's better than nothing! I will keep the items all bagged up and see what my PCO suggests. Nuvan strips maybe? Anyway, the experiment was interesting I guess.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 16:20:51
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no doubt that it can work, but it's far from reliable. If it worked consistently there would be many, many success stories with the ease and accessibility.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  10. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 18:09:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The Stars need to align in the right climate and time of year I think

11. scaredtomakeproblemworse

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 10 2018 0:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with all you folks! It is not reliable which is its biggest drawback. Still, we have to store these dumb bags somewhere (I'd love some advice on best ways to systematically deal with All these confusing sealed bags I have around my house! 😁) and I need to have access to some shoes during prep and treatment. I believe the ones in this bag are likely ok. I'll spray with alcohol first though. I am curious from lucky packtite owners how they are assured their items are sanitized after teratment? What is the heat level and recommended time frame and is there air circulation? (We tried running the car with heater/fan on but didn't do that for more than about 30 minutes. I wasnt sure it wasnt actually cooling the car!

12. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 10 2018 6:23:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a meat thermometer with the sensor stuck deep into what I was using. I learned it took for freaking ever if you filled it too tightly but otherwise it took a few hours. There is a chart for how long you need to hold it. There's a fan heater that used to heat them so that creates or circulation and there are also a couple of vvents. Everything gets pretty darn hot.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger