urgent nymph question

(20 posts)
  1. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 1:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

is it possible for a nymph to keep its shape once its been crushed?

I found something on my skin but took it between my thumb and forefinger before i had a chance to look at it. I moved it back and forth between my fingers but then realzied it might have been a bug so i stuck it on a piece of lint roller paper. It looks to be similar to the size and color of a BB nymph, with even an antenna sticking out and a red spot at the bottom, however, it did not pop and was very soft in texture and "squish"able. Could anyone tell me if this is a likely scenario?

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 1:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

There are no experts on. The best thing to do is upload pictures since nymphs of different bugs can also resemble a bedbug.

I don't know how "squishable".

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 1:49:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I've added a photo but i doubt it would be of much use as it has been squished as I said, so size/shape/etc is unreliable. I'm just freaking out because I found it on my skin but I'm thinking would a nymph be this strong and able to be sort of moulded and crushed and still hold together?

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 1:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I can't see the photo very well. I'm not sure. The experts will be on in the morning. Be sure to put it in the freezer in case you need it as evidence.

You may want to read the FAQS if you are having trouble sleeping. Don't panic and start tearing things apart. Did you feel it on your arm? A lot of people don't feel bedbugs?

5. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 1:59:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I was just scratching myself in general (nothing itchy in particular) and happened to feel something so i grabbed it and moved it between my fingers. not sure what to think right now, really scared. Thanks for your fast reply though, really appreciate it.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 2:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

No worries...in case you aren't familiar with the site...here are some pictures. If it were me, I'd keep the speciman..take a hot shower (when your body temperature lowers..it helps you sleep..but I also find it helps me feel "clean"..I'm OCD). Bedbugs only stay on you long enough to feed, so it just makes you feel better.

http://bedbugger.com/photos-of-bed-bugs-and-signs-of-bed-bugs/

7. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 6:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

The tiniest nymphs aren't hard in my experience. They are squishy. They were the first bed bug I found. I can tell you that there was no way for me to id what bit me from that bug which I also squished.

That said, small spiders and gnats crush up easily. Other bugs might wander into your bed. Possibly the look of the item came from your squishing it and it didn't look like a bug at all.

I would look over the FAQs on inspection and BBs in all their life stages. Then examine your home this weekend while you're off. What I wouldn't do now is freakout about the possibility of bedbugs. It's not true until you have a bug that you can photograph and have IDed.

8. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:03:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone, I just have a question about the red spots found on some of the nymphs, I know it's blood but a lot of forum posts i read describe the bb "popping" if it's red. This mystery thing has from what I can tell, 1 long antenna and a definitive red spot at the bottom of it... So is the red spot always present? Are there other small similar bugs that have similar antenna?

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear tt,

Look at the cover photo of my book in the ads that usually appear to the right. Perhaps if you click on the ad you will see the photo better.

In this photo you will see bed bugs of various sizes including fed and unfed nymphs which helps show folks what various ages/stages of bed bugs look like.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

10. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:24:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, that's quite helpful. I have one more question for everyone, is the furriness on the antenna and the multiple parts visible to the naked eye, especially on a nymph? That would definitely give me some peace of mind.

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, it's hard to say cause we don't know what you mean by "furriness" ?

However, to actually see hairs, such as those along the pro-notal shield margin of a bed bug, you would need about 20x to 30 x magnification depending upon your own vision and the size of your specimen being viewed.

Generally speaking, I do not regard bed bugs as '"hairy" when comprared to some other insects.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

12. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a hard one to answer. It kind of depends on your vision and the lighting and how familiar you are with the bug. My first nymph I didn't see that much detail. I did know it had 6 legs and antennae and a larger round body. I don't believe I could tell something like the furriness of the antennae on it.

13. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:32:27
    #

Login to Send PM

You would see no hairs on a bed bug antenna. pb

14. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah. I wasn't sure what could be visible, only what I had seen myself.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 9:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/
    Take a look at my images; there are a few of first instar nymphs close-up. Other creatures, too, plus bed bugs in various situations that may not be "normal".

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  16. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 19:12:54
    #

Login to Send PM

So, in my infinite paranoia I've bought a magnifying glass and after looking at many photos, I feel like it leans more toWards being a book lice. I'm just curious as to whether it is even possible for a book lice to have been on me as I was sitting in a chair. Sorry to be so thoroughly paranoid, but if any of the experts on here could help me, it would be much appreciated.

17. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2012 20:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I put book lice in the search engine. Nobugsonme on the thread says its rare..springtails are another option.

I think both really like humidity if that helps. It's been humid where I am and the bugs are taking over!!!!! I actually have to wipe down my baseboards once a week (live next to the woods and spiders and no see-ums come in the windows when open).

18. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 28 2012 10:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

So about 36 hours after I had discovered this mystery thing, I wake up just now to a single itchy bump on my leg. Is it time to freak out yet, or just a coincidence?

19. tt67

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 28 2012 10:18:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I've also read that everyone reacts differently, but this bump has deflated to just a red spot within 20 minutes and is no longer itchy. Could this be the very beginning of something, or the biting habits of a nymph? Or am I getting myself worried over nothing..

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 28 2012 10:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

People have found book lice on their skin before. Any bug can crawl on you.

Note that evidence suggests nymph bites aren't distinguishable from other bites and that bites can present differently on the same person at different times or on different areas of the body or on different people. Skin reactions don't really tell us much, I am afraid.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail